"Essential" Sideshow SW Figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPrime

Super Freak
Reaction score
Yeah, this is kind of a newbie question... But anyway, looking for advice.

I've been collecting the SW line sporadically. I've only got Jedi Luke, Old Ben, Vader, and a Stormtrooper.

That was enough for awhile, but now that Yoda's on his way I've become interested in expanding. Now, if I get Yoda I kind of have to get the Emperor, so he's on his way too. And I loved Commander Cody in ROTS, but now feel like I should get the other Clones (minus the grey ones) to flank him.

I fully plan on getting Boba Fett, the Scout Trooper and Snowtrooper whenever they end up getting released. I'm also going to have to pick up at least a Sandtrooper Squad Leader.

Now, I'm still trying to keep the line focused on main characters and prominent troop-builders. Who am I missing? I feel like I should get the original ANH trio - Luke, Han and Leia - but they kind of look a bit dated. Maybe not Han so much, but the others kind of... I was thinking of perhaps getting them, putting them on new bodies (if that's possible without major modifications) and even possibly getting the heads repainted...

Any advice? Am I missing any gems of the line I should be tracking down as well? What about the whole "upgrading" older figures?

Thanks in advance!

To re-iterate...

My Top 5 in the line, so far:

1. Sandtrooper(s)
2. Jabba The Hutt (he counts)
3. ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi
4. Palpatine 2-Pack
5. Vader

Honorable Mentions:

Clone Trooper(s)
Kit Fisto
Lando Calrissian
Obi-Wan Kenobi (EP2)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Clone General)
Plo Koon
Bib Fortuna

Stay away from these:

Yavin Luke
Holographic Darth Sidious with Mechno-chair
Aayla Secura
Padme - Ilum Mission
Endor Rebel(s)

Obviously my or any list is subjective to persoanl tastes and all that razz a ma taz.

1. Darth Vader
  2. Clones
  3. ANH Obi-Wan
  4. Emperor
  5. Clone Wars Obi-Wan/CW Anakin

Dude...just buy them all...from your post you went to essential to more and more and more...you will end up getting way more than you want so just come to grips and do it now. And just one stormtrooper? sheesh! lol

Dude...just buy them all...from your post you went to essential to more and more and more...you will end up getting way more than you want so just come to grips and do it now. And just one stormtrooper? sheesh! lol

Actually this isn't a bad idea at all. Most can be had right now for considerably cheaper than cost.

Nah, I just don't have the room. Besides, I know some of them are clearly ugly and/or too obscure. I don't want any from the Clone Wars, for example.

I actually have a pretty good idea of the ones I DO want, really. I guess what I really want to know is the issues with some of the older figures.

For example, I really want ANH Luke, Han and Leia... but they just don't seem to look as good as the ones coming out now, at least when I look at the pics. Are they better in person?

Last edited:
Every Sideshow Star Wars figure is an absolute "must have" at the risk of...well...not having them if you don'y buy them.

The ANH Luke, Han and Leia are not the best of SSC's by any means...but if ANH is the theme you want to go for, they aren't bad either. For the price you can get them from GoHastings or ebay, they are well worth it.

I agree with others that Sandtroopers, Obi-Wan, and the Jabba are the best. I pretty much like all of the Jabba related figures...

1.Vader
2.Stormtroopers
3.Emperor
4.Han Solo
5.Sandtrooper(s)
6.Lando Calrissian
7.Luke Jedi (yeah I ____ing said it)
8.Clone(s)
9.Sidious
10.Qui-Gon Jinn

You seem to have a similar interest in these as me. I too want the ANH 3, but the only one I can accept is the Smuggler Han. The other 2 are a little difficult. They are workable, as mostly to me, they need better clothes more than anything else. Leia's robe is a little short, as well as Lukes tunic. It needs to be a heavier material and longer. Here are some of the other figures you might like:

Darth Maul (he looks better in person)
Boushh
Gamorrean Guard
Bib Fortuna
Lando
Mace Windu

If you only want one Sandtrooper, you can do like me and get your favorite, then just get the other pauldrons and guns elsewhere (if you're lucky enough to find them)

Anyway, have fun, these things rock and seem to be only getting better.

You seem to have a similar interest in these as me. I too want the ANH 3, but the only one I can accept is the Smuggler Han. The other 2 are a little difficult. They are workable, as mostly to me, they need better clothes more than anything else. Leia's robe is a little short, as well as Lukes tunic. It needs to be a heavier material and longer. Here are some of the other figures you might like:

Darth Maul (he looks better in person)
Boushh
Gamorrean Guard
Bib Fortuna
Lando
Mace Windu

If you only want one Sandtrooper, you can do like me and get your favorite, then just get the other pauldrons and guns elsewhere (if you're lucky enough to find them)

Anyway, have fun, these things rock and seem to be only getting better.

Yeah, Lando I'll probably have to get. I actually had him on pre-order, and cancelled, but it seems like if I'll be getting Yoda, and Boba Fett when he comes out, I sort of have to round out the ESB new main characters.

Darth Maul, probably yeah. I'd love a good Mace figure, but he looks a bit odd to me...

As for the ANH trio, I was thinking maybe getting the heads repainted? I wouldn't do it myself though - what do you think that would cost?

Honestly, if you want the top painters you'll be without your figures for a year or more. To me its not worth it.

Every once in a a while you will see someone selling their already painted heads. Pixletwin did that recently, he may still have some items in the FS section.

for me the truly essential ones had to be the ones you could display alone and be satisfied

so darth vader
stormtrooper ........

i want to say jedi luke - but the head is weak

smuggler han

but if PT is your thing #

sith anni
aotc kenobi
and a clone (you pick)

Honestly, if you want the top painters you'll be without your figures for a year or more. To me its not worth it.

Every once in a a while you will see someone selling their already painted heads. Pixletwin did that recently, he may still have some items in the FS section.

Well, I can be patient. If it means having the best versions possible it might be worth it to me. Who are the "top painters", anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

Speaking of modification, are any better bodies available that wouldn't require any surgery to the head itself? For some reason, repainting the heads seems okay, but I don't like the idea of cutting them...

SilentSurfer and Small Studios are great painters. Look around the custom section for others.

Hot Toys bodies are the ones most used for upgrading.

Yeah, Lando I'll probably have to get. I actually had him on pre-order, and cancelled, but it seems like if I'll be getting Yoda, and Boba Fett when he comes out, I sort of have to round out the ESB new main characters.

Darth Maul, probably yeah. I'd love a good Mace figure, but he looks a bit odd to me...

As for the ANH trio, I was thinking maybe getting the heads repainted? I wouldn't do it myself though - what do you think that would cost?

Mace is pretty awesome in my opinion. He looks great to me, I just love the figures that have all the different layers. It's fun to fold the robes and such to display them the way you want.

The Luke is a pretty awesome sculpt, not much painting, maybe his hair a little. To me he just needs new clothes.

Last edited:
Back