Raising Hope

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch this on Tuesday? I dvr'ed it, since I've found it smart to give everything at least one watch. There's always some sleeper hit for me (last year it was Community and Modern Family) that I'm glad I started with on the very first episode.

So far this year I haven't been seeing much new that knocks my socks off. Old shows have started strong (especially Criminal Minds and BBT), but new shows have been...weak. But I got around to checking out Raising Hope last night, and I have to admit - I laughed my butt off. At the same time, I felt bad for doing so - wow, I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was seeing, but it was hilarious. Really liked the quirky actors and the non-sitcom sets and style. It has elements that reminds me of movies like Superbad or the Hangover. But can that sort of humor work on television?

I enjoyed the first ep as much as I could. It was funny in parts, but very basic. I have to say, a nude, demented granny is always good for a laugh :lol

But I'm going to give it a fair go, like with Modern Family. Hopefully it picks up in the next few episodes.

I loved it!! The first minute or so had me laughing my head off already!! I think it was a great episode with lots of funny moments, quirky characters, like you say, and just an overall humor and vibe that was totally awesome!!! :rock :rock :rock
And yes I too couldn't believe some things I was seeing, especially:

Spoiler Spoiler:
:lol

But all in all it was absolutely hilarious!!! :rock :rock :rock

Yea, that's why I thought it had a very current film humor style to it. I didn't see anything 'basic' at all, and in fact, the part Chaser mentiones - Cloris Leachman - I thought was the weakest because it was the most obvious joke. The other stuff - the car seat, the puke, the chick at the supermarket, the question about the baby food, I didn't see coming at all, mostlly because those jokes usually go in one way, and they gave each one it's own little twist. It's also the dialog and acting that make this work so well.

I have high hopes for this one - hopefully it won't get killed by American Idol on Tuesday nights.

I dunno, I didn't find the carseat or puking scenes to be overly funny at all. I thought they were rather obvious...I could see them coming a mile away.

As for the grandma? I suppose I must be easily amused by old lady sideboob :dunno

But as I said, I still enjoyed it, and will keep watching it in hope (no pun intended) of it getting better and better.

I could see the puking on the baby and carseat scenes coming a mile away as well, cos i saw it in the trailer. :lol

I'll be watching each week as well. :rock

i watched it as well really by chance..............found it to be hilarious and totally un-PC............:panic:

i almost spit my drink out when he covered the baby's eyes from the flash.......
Spoiler Spoiler:

i watched it as well really by chance..............found it to be hilarious and totally un-PC............:panic:

i almost spit my drink out when he covered the baby's eyes from the flash.......
Spoiler Spoiler:

:rotfl

Yeah that bit was awesome!

Ah, I didn't see the trailer - I went in completely fresh. And I thought they took things in a direction that was slightly unique - like the puke scene, where I knew he'd puke (standard joke) but not

Spoiler Spoiler:

And as always, it's not just about the originality of the joke, but how the dialog and acting around it go - I thought they were all very funny actors.

Ah, I didn't see the trailer - I went in completely fresh. And I thought they took things in a direction that was slightly unique - like the puke scene, where I knew he'd puke (standard joke) but not

Spoiler Spoiler:

And as always, it's not just about the originality of the joke, but how the dialog and acting around it go - I thought they were all very funny actors.

Exactly! I saw the trailer and they showed the bit where he was running for the paper towels, but I'd never imagine they'd actually show

Spoiler Spoiler:

Did anyone also notice that when they were watching the news and the news about
Spoiler Spoiler:

was done, that they said:

"In lighter news, a local petty criminal finally made amends for all the bad things he did by finishing everything on his list! You won't believe how it ended, stay tuned for more"

Or something to that extend... This is clearly about the cancelled My Name Is Earl which was the previous show of these creators. I noticed it instantly and found it rather funny :lol

Did anyone also notice that when they were watching the news and the news about
Spoiler Spoiler:

was done, that they said:

"In lighter news, a local petty criminal finally made amends for all the bad things he did by finishing everything on his list! You won't believe how it ended, stay tuned for more"

Or something to that extend... This is clearly about the cancelled My Name Is Earl which was the previous show of these creators. I noticed it instantly and found it rather funny :lol

Nice spot! :clap

Wow - yea, nice spot! I mentioned to someone today that this show had a very Earl feel to it, and now I know why!

Hope people are still watching this. :pray:

It's easily my favorite comedy on TV right now. I actually get more excited for new episodes of Raising Hope than even Fringe.

Yep. Still watching this. Its a great show. Its one of those its so dumb that it is great. And I too look forward to new episodes of this rather than Fringe. I do fear this is Fringe's last season. Fridays = where TV shows go to die.

I still think Maw Maw is my favorite character. Sure, she is the typical crazy old lady, but her craziness is all over the place. She isn't the same twice and I find that very entertaining not knowing what to expect from her.

I do wonder if Hope will age if this show keeps going or if they will try to keep her a Baby. The joke earlier in the year about shows about babies not lasting more than a year was funny but didn't seem like a good omen either :lol

It's "dumb" in that the characters are a bit naive, but I don't think it only comes down to "its so dumb that it is great." The characters are genuinely good people and are thus truly likable. I hadn't really though of it before, but I think that's why I love it so much.

Take a show like Seinfeld. I love that show, and it's very "smart", but the people aren't all that likable when you think about it. That's why I loved the finale of that show. I think it was very meaningful that the show ended with the characters being put on trial and going to jail for all their 'crimes against humanity'. Very appropriate.

So I guess I like Raising Hope for different reasons. I love all the characters, and there are very poignant moments that make you think. And on top of all of that I laugh out loud more for Raising Hope than any other current show.

As far as the baby goes, I expect her to age. The show is called Raising Hope after all. I think as she ages, new kinds of problems will come up, and that will keep the show fresh. :)

Word. This is my 2nd favorite show on right now behind Community. Helps that the Wife and I just had a baby in October so we relate a little to the baby humor.

I got a chuckle last night when I realized that the Exer-Saucer they had Hope in was the same one that we got as a hand me down for my 3 month old Son... I looked at my wife and said 'It's official, we're poor!'. She didn't laugh. (for the record it's the 'extra' one that is actually at the In-Laws....)

But I read an article on EW regarding them dealing with Hope growing up. Sounded like the best way to go about it.

https://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/11/fringe-castle-raising-hope-greys-anatomy-spoilers/

Looking back is easy. Looking forward, however, is a bit trickier given that Hope is helmed by babies who will age even when the cameras aren’t rolling between seasons. (Hope is played by two sets of twins.) Thankfully, Garcia has a simple plan for that, too (because this isn’t The Simpsons, people).

“Things can always change, but the plan now is to start season 2 jumping forward in time to the point where the baby is whatever the [babies' ages are] when we start season 2. We might even do a first episode that tells the story of what happened up until the last time we saw them,” he says. “I’d like to incorporate some home videos of the baby in that time and get some good stuff of the baby growing up so our viewers can also watch the baby grow up in those six months [we're off the air]. At that age, with babies that little, every month they change.”

The idea, he said, is to possibly bring baby Hope’s portrayers to the set when the show is off production and take some footage of first steps and other milestones. “If in the show, they’re watching it and going down memory lane, the audience can experience that as well,” he says. Cue collective “awwww”s.

So I guess that's part of the reason they introduced the GIANT video camera last night.

Back