itunes gift card hacked

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgMatinee

circlesendwheretheybegin
Reaction score
So I guess I should have known better, but I had some itunes credit outstanding for a while (just $15) and it got hacked and someone used the code. I got an email (referencing my physical home address even) stating I purchased some stuff that I didn't.

Is there anything I can do? On the Apple site the disclaimer says they are not responsible for stolen gift cards, does that include card account numbers being hacked through itunes itself? I've never used itunes to download music, is somebody hacking my account also putting me at risk for any kind of additional charges beyond the $15 in the account? I can shrug off the $15 but don't want to be sent some ebill for more stuff. I don't recall ever entering a CC number with itunes.
Thanks.

I would contact them, find out what account used the code. If its your account then change password, and make sure you have a real CC on files if you have one, not a debit card, so if you do get something charged you will be able to dispute easier.

the receipt was sent to my email and definately was my account, so i am thinking they must have hacked the account and not the gc itself.

My e-mail and Facebook were both hacked this week. I really don't get these people. One thing I can't stand is a thief.

This is why I'm afraid to use iTunes. There's been a lot of talk about accounts being hacked.

iTunes accounts getting "hacked" has less to do with iTunes security and more to do with poor password selection and password phishing.

What is password phishing

It is when someone will spoof a site to get your info. ie you get an email from an address thats close or looks valid then a link that takes you to a different site and asks you to login.

You put in username and password and the site records it now giving them your username and password and any other info you put in.

Most good email providers will mark as spam most of these attempts but they still get people to do it even from junk email box. To be safe if you follow link make sure the address in bar is where you think you were going.

pay.pal.com is not paypal.com this is one that people use to fall for.

admittedly had a crappy password. changed it. apple gave me my gift card balance.

the person bought iphone apps with it, so hopefully apple has a way to shut that person's apps off or track them. probably not worth their time though to look into it further. be funny if apple had a kill switch and just killed peoples phones that get caught stealing. that would be great.

Back