Has anyone ever framed/matted their own art prints?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
I stopped into Michael's today to find a frame for a new art print I picked up. Print measures 17x22, and standard frames come in 16x20 or 18x24. So I asked how much to frame it and he said a custom frame, after the 40% discount, would be ~$180, which includes frame/glass/matte.

The sales person did say that I could buy a matte, one that would fit the 18x24 frame, and either special order the matte, or buy one off the shelf and have them cut it out, where my cost would be cost of frame (~$30), matte(~$10), and labor (~$6).

Or I could buy a Matte work center for around $50 (after coupon), which would have the tools I needed to make custom mattes myself. I probably wouldn't do this for a single print.

Has anyone ever order just a matte from an art store and gave specifications on dimensions and used in combination with a standard sized frame? How difficult is this, and how was the final outcome/quality? Is there some guidelines on how much matte to use around the edges to make it look good?

I'm a little late here, but...

I stopped into Michael's today to find a frame for a new art print I picked up. Print measures 17x22, and standard frames come in 16x20 or 18x24. So I asked how much to frame it and he said a custom frame, after the 40% discount, would be ~$180, which includes frame/glass/matte.
Even with the discount, places like Michael's are making out like bandits on framing. I really don't recommend taking that route.

The sales person did say that I could buy a matte, one that would fit the 18x24 frame, and either special order the matte, or buy one off the shelf and have them cut it out, where my cost would be cost of frame (~$30), matte(~$10), and labor (~$6).

I've done this (with this piece) and it worked out pretty well. It's definitely a reasonable option, as long as it's not some bizarre shape that would look strange put into a standard frame. (One of Dave Dorman's very wide prints, for example.) I've also bought a custom-cut mat by itself for a frame I bought elsewhere, and that's quite cheap.

The other option is someplace like Americanframe.com. They have fairly reasonable prices as long as you don't go crazy with the fancy frames and mats. I've used them a couple of times on oddly shaped pieces and saved a lot of money compared to custom framing. The only hard part is figuring out what size mat you need. It can sometimes be a little confusing if you want to mat out some copyright info, for example. The shipping can also be expensive for oversized things, so if I recall correctly you are better off ordering several things at once and having them ship them together for one oversized shipping charge.

I have worked at a Hobby Lobby store part-time before. I worked in the Frame Shop for about 2 1/2 years until I decided to quit, because I did not want two jobs anymore.

Anyway, I love how the custom frames look and you will get the matte looking just right. Also, I would do the acid free matting so your print will not discolor where the matte sit onto the print. This will happen over time if you use the standard instock matte board. Acid free matting is a little more, but well worth it in the end. At Hobby Lobby, we would have to order the acid free matting. So, you would have to wait a week or so to get it cut or done. If you decide to go this route I would have at least 2 inches of matte all the way around. Which, it would be 20 3/4" x 25 3/4" for the frame size. Now, if you would do 2 1/2 inches all the way around it would be 21 3/4" x 26 3/4" for the frame size. Also, if you want it to look really nice I would do a double matte. While working there I completely framed three pictures; for myself, using the double matting. They turned out great. I will post some pics of the pictures I framed when I get home from work to give you an idea.

The custom frames can be quite expensive, but you are going to have a better overall look.

For the backing, I would go with acid free foam board. It is also a little extra in cost.

Now; for the glass, I always went with non-glare glass. It is a little extra, but well worth it. They also have UV glass, but you are going to be spending a quite a bit for it. Again, it just depends on how much the print means to you.

For your question on cutting your own. It can be done but you have to have some skill. At the store they cut their mattes by machine, which will be more accurate.

For your question on buying ready-made frame: If you do go with the 18" x 24", you will have to remember that you will have 5/8" of matte on the top & bottom. Then, 1 1/8" of matte on the right & left side. That is assuming your picture is Horizontal. It just would not look right.

All in all, it just depends on how much the print means to you.

Edit: Here is one of my pictures that I framed. I tried to take new pics, but the lighting from the window was interfering. I will have to take a pic during the night when I have free time.

RockyPicture2.jpg

Last edited:
Back