Akira animation cels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamandi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Almost 20 years ago I purchased two animation cells (and the original pencil sheets) from the anime Akira. I've had them framed this whole time, but I'm bored with the framing and matte and I'm thinking about interesting ways to re-do. I've seen some people doing cool shadowbox stuff. I have the McFarlane Kaneda and bike and no decent way to display them.

Most important I want to add a background, even if it's not original. If anyone has a Blu ROM on their PC and can get a still screencap off the Blu-Ray of the following I'd like to get a better source to print the background. My DVD cap makes for a really crappy background.

Re-painting the BG is an option I may pursue, but I'd do it digitally because it needs to appear behind both cells. Also I'd like to have the VFX of the light ball.

FYI - These are the original pencils.

I mocked up two rough ideas for re-matting and framing. I like the designs, but creating this could be a challenge.

This would be a black mat over a red mat, and everywhere you see red is where the black has been cut away. I probably would have to do this myself, I've never seen a framing shop cut such designs. There are places that do laser cutting, but they typically only want bulk orders.

The kanji might be doable with some curved wood carving knifes. I'll need to do some homework.

The second idea would be side by side and measure about 3 1/2 feet wide. This would fit nicely over my flatscreen. The big challenge here is the center. The area where you see all of the cutaway work would be only 3 or 4 inches wide.

There would also be spacers so the cels do not directly touch the background.

The first Idea would be cheaper. I could probably keep my existing glass and frame.

To each his own. I never understood the fascination with animation cells, although I've collected some weird stuff and paid a lot for it. So good for you, if it makes you happy, do it!

I paid $150.00 for the pair back in '90 or '91, and I was surprised when they included the original pencil dope sheets.

Back