Could Firefly be announced at the con?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDboystoys

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm rerally hoping so, theres just so much potential. There are practically NO merchandise or collectibles for Firefly or Serenity and I have a feeling that if sideshow got the 12" or Premuim Format line, its would just soar!

I really think it would be one of the best selling lines out there atm, besides Star Wars of course.

Well Im really hoping so I'll make my list!

PF:
Mal (browncoat and all, the classic vision of Mal)
River (Serenity: blue dress with the black jacket worn in the bar scene Firefly: Any really,they all scream river)

theyre my must have PF's (although if they ade more I would probably have to have them)and with the 12"ers, well the entire crew obviously, plus all the episode specific characters(although not too miniscule characters sideshow!)

The reason it would be such a good line is that theres so much demand for it, plus its such a tight show ad opbviously since it was cancelled(I HATE FOX) thered be a really strong selection of figures as it seemed that every single episode was phenomenal.

Since they're just now forging into the Buffy PF realm I doubt they'd start off Firefly in that arena. I'd think 1/6 figures would be more likely.

However I'd point out that the lack of merchandise isn't a good thing. It means no one is willing to go out on a limb for this license. Now if it were merchandised to death like KISS, then maybe...

Last edited:
But Dark Horse is making the Serenity ornament, and well, Sideshow should just make the darn figures 1/6 or PF(but please 1/6) because we all asked so nicely. Please!:eek:

The comic books sold well, the movie tie-in books sold well and Hot Topic clothing store and another clothing store are selling t-shirts from the movie. Oh, and Fox currently has it listed on their website as one of their ten top selling dvd sets (Firefly series not the movie). And the dvd set has been out for three years now and is in their top ten!

I definitly think there is a large enough fan base out their to support Firefly/Serenity figures.

Don't get me wrong - I agree wholeheartedly and desperately want to see PF and 1/6 from Firefly/Serenity. Not to knock them, cause it obviously works, but SSC tends to play it safe (Tremors and Pumpkinhead aside) and now only go with really, really established licenses. I don't know that F/S meets the "is it safe?" criteria at this point.

From the Toy Fair chat:

Has Sideshow thought about picking up the Firefly line?

Tom Gilliland: There are a lot of Firefly fans here, but that doesn't always relate to what we end up needing to do.

Not a very encouraging comment for all the Firefly hopefuls out there...

Darklord Dave said:
Don't get me wrong - I agree wholeheartedly and desperately want to see PF and 1/6 from Firefly/Serenity. Not to knock them, cause it obviously works, but SSC tends to play it safe (Tremors and Pumpkinhead aside) and now only go with really, really established licenses. I don't know that F/S meets the "is it safe?" criteria at this point.

Sorry if my comment seemed directed at you - it was more for Sideshows benefit if anyone in a position to make this decision was reading. With the Angel line just starting and the PF Buffy coming and posibly more for that line I wouldn't be expecting a Firefly/Serenity line just yet because it would most likely attract a lot of the same buyers but I'm hoping for one someday.

This is a win win situation for Sideshow and the fans if they do this line. But comments like TomandShell quoted from make me think it won't happen.

So if anyone from Sideshow is reading this and pondering on whether or not they should do this line keep in mind that the Firefly DVDs have been a top seller going on three years now - which is indication that the fan base continues to grow as people discover this gem of a show.

I'm reading it, and I'm one of those on the staff who would LOVE to see Firefly/Serenity figures made (I think I'd prefer 1/6 - I just can't afford the PFs and they're so big I have no where to put them!) - but like Tom said, what we WANT is sometimes not feasible to do, for one reason or the other (license not available, likenesses not available, not enough time or resources in the day to say 'yes' to everything... whatever the case may be).

Things are also constantly changing, so what may not be feasible one day, may be entirely feasible the next... it's a constantly adapting business, producing collectibles (actually, pretty much any business in the entertainment industry is like that!) :duff

There's plenty to do with the Buffy and Angel licences yet, with only one figure announced from the latter line and key members of the Scoobies missing. (Giles ? :horse :banghead )

I agree it would be great to see Firefly figures and having watched Serenity last night I have to say that it is awesome. (When a young Han Solo met a descendent of Buffy???)
At the moment, however, I have to say all hands at Sideshow seem to be manning the Star Wars pump.....which although I love Star Wars and have managed to order all the exclusives, does leave me a little bit pensive about the future of the "B" lines, such as the Whedon shows!:confused:

I think Sideshow's the only company that could make money from a Firefly line, though they might not realize it. DST's action figure line was a major failure - but imo because they looked terrible.

Sideshow has gotten smaller licenses in the past, and as long as this one weren't too expensive I don't see what they'd have to lose - and they'd probably bring in a large and growing fan base.

SideshowDusty said:
I'm reading it, and I'm one of those on the staff who would LOVE to see Firefly/Serenity figures made (I think I'd prefer 1/6 - I just can't afford the PFs and they're so big I have no where to put them!) - but like Tom said, what we WANT is sometimes not feasible to do, for one reason or the other (license not available, likenesses not available, not enough time or resources in the day to say 'yes' to everything... whatever the case may be).

Things are also constantly changing, so what may not be feasible one day, may be entirely feasible the next... it's a constantly adapting business, producing collectibles (actually, pretty much any business in the entertainment industry is like that!) :duff

Thanks Dusty - that's what I like to hear that it may not be feasible right now but that doesn't mean it won't be in the future. I just want Sideshow to keep thinking about this and if it's possible for them to get the license go for it!

A year ago, I would've seen it as more of a possiblity than I do now. With Star Wars and Lord of the Rings in full swing, I'm more skeptical of Sideshow picking up smaller lines like Firefly.

As much as I would but every Firefly 1:6 in a heartbeat I'd really like SSC to concentrate on the Angel line and also the Buffy.

I think that Firefly is always destined to be a 'could have been...' show. Sad, but very true.

The fanbase keeps growing but the merch does not sell - if people ain't picking up $10 figures they sure as hell ain't gonna shell out 50 big ones...

However, I would and I think that SSC should bow to my every whim. To that end I'd like my Jayne with his wolly hat please!

abstractharmony said:
The fanbase keeps growing but the merch does not sell - if people ain't picking up $10 figures they sure as hell ain't gonna shell out 50 big ones.

While I don't expect a Firefly line (it would be cool, but it's not one of my "must haves" and I don't think we'll see it), I think the comparison between the small figures and 12 inch figures produced by SSC doesn't really work. First, there's the quality of the figures that were made (horrid, and they only did 3 characters), and also the fact that you're comparing two very different types of collecting. There are definitely those out there that would shell out the 40 bucks for 12 inch figures and pass right over the smaller figures. Just my .02 cents.

Yep, I have no interest in the little figs, but 12" or PFs I'd buy in a heartbeat. And I think the audience for the show is older anyway, you aren't going to see kids looking for Serenity action figures.

I also have no interest in the 6" figures but I would have bought them if they had looked like the characters. They were tremendously badly done and that's why they weren't selling.

I'd like to chime in as well on this comparsion.... :family

There taint nun.:thwak

You don't know how many times I've had those Serenity abominations in my hands... about ready to buy when sanity grips me. :google :horror

I'm SOOOO hungering for Firefly/Serenity figures that I'm willing to flush hard earn cash for trash. Sad, I know.

C'mon Sideshow... put me out of my misery!!!:pow :pow :pow

Last edited:
It's sad that this is probably never going to happen, i would love a PF Mal and River
But would they sell? i'm not so sure, maybe. There are alot of Firefly/Serenity fans out there. I know the 6" line didn't sell, but like others have said, that could have been because they were ugly.

I think if SSC were to actually pick up a Firefly line, it would be for 12 inch figures and not PF's. I would think that PFs would only come if the 12 inch figures were a success.

Back