My Car: What Would You Do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ween

Wahooooo!!!!
Reaction score
I own a 2003 PT Cruiser. I've always liked the car, but it's been giving me trouble for about the past year. I've had it to several shops and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I took it back to where I bought it yesterday and told them what was going on. To make a long story short, he called me today and told me that I had to put $1850 into it to get it back to running right. Now, the car is 7 years old but only has 37,000 miles on it. I can't really afford a new car right now, especially when I'm not sure what's going on with my job next year. One of the things I can put off for awhile, but I'm still looking at around $1300. So, would you put that much money into it, or get rid of it? I really like the car, and they don't make them anymore. :(

:monkey2

Take me for a ride, Ween!

If you have to put that much money in it now, you'll be putting more into later.

If it's paid for and only has that many miles plus you like it then I'd say get it fixed. Beats having a car payment for sure.

p.s. Don't listen to Batty. :lecture

Last edited:
What's wrong with it and would the problem finally be fixed? It sounds like it would, but why did it take so many attempts and still not find the problem? Were those other shops not reputable?

With only 37 on the clock it's practically new, in my book, and to sell it you'd still probably have to fix it first, and what would you be able to buy with the money?

Off the cuff, I'd have to say get it fixed, in the short term, and hopefully your situation will improve and you can sell it before this problem happens again, or keep it if it's a sound repair.

Good luck Ween.

If i were you, i would ghost ride it off a cliff while filming it.

I agree with coco, the miles are very low so keep it. May I ask, is it by any chance transmission related? You should really stay way from those Chryslers.

1st get as many opins as possible. i don't trust mechanics as far as i can throw them

if thats the true cost, really thats not that much ween. thats only 3 times the cost of a 75000 mile service at my toyota dealership.

what i'd do is convince them to throw in all the sparkplug, hose replacements, an oilchange, tire rotation, etc crap and they have a deal.

overall $1850 is a lot less than it would cost to replace the vehicle so might as well.

also see what they will warrantee with the work they will do. make sure if it doesn't fix your prob that they will look into it further and credit the $1850 to it.

It's hard for me to say what is wrong with the car, he called me at work and tried to explain it all. One thing is the air conditioning, which when it's on, stalls the car out and make it run bad. Something to do with fans not working and cooling something in the engine and also not working in the car. It also leaks. Something to do with a hub also. Nothing to do with the transmission though.

The guy who is fixing it is someone that we've done business with for years and will guarentee the work. So I'm not worried about that. This is really the first big money I've had to put into the car. The car is clean and except for a couple of small dings (damn parking lots) it looks new.

As for the other shops, so many of them rely on that damn diagnostic thing now. If it doesn't show up on that, they have no idea what to do. The reason why I didn't take it back to the dealership to begin with is because they are usually more expensive.

I thought I had a pic of it on my computer but I don't, but this one is just like mine:

1d41837e0a0a006500beb946463ae316.jpg

I have really never been able to understand the "the car is broke so buy a new one" mentality. Eventually that car will break as well. The cost of a new car will easily match or exceed the repair costs of the current one. Ypou love the car and they don't make it any more...it is not a money saver to get a new car.

Fix the PT Cruiser. You will almost certainly average less per year in repairs compared to payments on a new one.

Edit - But based on what you said is wrong...it sounds like you are being overcharged for the repairs. Do not take it to a dealer or any big repair places...ask around for a good small mechanic and get a price from them.

I have really never been able to understand the "the car is broke so buy a new one" mentality. Eventually that car will break as well. The cost of a new car will easily match or exceed the repair costs of the current one. Ypou love the car and they don't make it any more...it is not a money saver to get a new car.

Fix the PT Cruiser. You will almost certainly average less per year in repairs compared to payments on a new one.

Edit - But based on what you said is wrong...it sounds like you are being overcharged for the repairs. Do not take it to a dealer or any big repair places...ask around for a good small mechanic and get a price from them.

That's not all that they're fixing, I just don't know squat about cars to explain it all. My check engine light was on and my gas gauge would show full then go down to empty and they fixed whatever was causing that too. Another thing, critters chewed through some wiring and that had to be replaced. Don't know if that's what was causing the problem or what. Probably the little red squirrels running around my property lately that did it. Little ____s.

Oh, and they were also servicing the car. There's a whole list of things. I guess instead of little repairs every once in awhile, this thing decided to go to hell all at once.

If I had to get a new car, I'd have no idea what I would get. :dunno

What's wrong with it and would the problem finally be fixed? It sounds like it would, but why did it take so many attempts and still not find the problem? Were those other shops not reputable?

With only 37 on the clock it's practically new, in my book, and to sell it you'd still probably have to fix it first, and what would you be able to buy with the money?

Off the cuff, I'd have to say get it fixed, in the short term, and hopefully your situation will improve and you can sell it before this problem happens again, or keep it if it's a sound repair.

Good luck Ween.

Thanks!!

Where have you been?! :1-1:

Take me for a ride, Ween!

If you have to put that much money in it now, you'll be putting more into later.

Batty, if I give you a ride, is King going too? I'd probably wreck watching you and King make out in the rear view mirror!

:monkey5

I agree with others in getting it fixed. See if the dealership you took it to can print you out an estimate then take that around and show people what needs to be done and see if they will give you a better price.

Have you tried checking out repair shops on Angie's List or yelp? You can usually read some pretty good and honest reviews about businesses. Or if you have a buddy that knows about cars - take him with you when you get estimates - they'll know if you are getting screwed over or not.

Now I go to a repair shop here in Seattle that's a little more expensive than some others - but the guarantee their work and do a damn good job. They have never done me wrong - and when my previous truck had some problems they were the only ones who didn't try to screw me over by having me repair stuff that didn't need to be done. So I guess if you find a shop with people you trust - sometimes paying a little more and knowing the job is getting done right is worth it.

fix it...low miles and you have at least a good two years in that car...

yes dealerships are expensive, but at least you know they arent screwing you...too bad at least

Back