Greetings from Mammoth!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtrooper1966

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Greetings, all!
Short time lurker, prompted to post tonight for the 900th post thread. I also replied to the star Wars 3 3/4 thread, and realized it was a prety good intro for my collecting habbits. I will add a few details not included in that post. I am 40, grew up in San Diego, CA. Moved to Mammoth Lakes, CA three years ago to snowboard as much as possible (hence my online alter ego, snowtrooper1966, describing my love for star Wars, snowboarding and my birth year) and recently had a son, now six months old.
Now for the post from the 3 3/4 line thread...

Greetings!
I was a serious collector of the line, starting in '95 with the POTF2 line. Right off the bat I was drawn to collecting the errors and variations coming out of the factory. I surmised that ALOT of folks would be after these figures, and to make my collection stand out (and have some real intrinsic value) I went after these hard to find oddities. I spent an incalculable amount of time running around town, scouring the toy store shelves looking through thousands of toys. In the end, I amassed a fairly complete collection spanning 10 years. With all the errors and variations, I would sometimes wind up with 10+ of the same character. I finally was able to get the cream of the crop graded by a well known company (AFA) @ last year's SD comic con. I spent over a thousand bucks just to get the 40 or so figs graded. At that same convention, I first discovered Side Show. The first things I bought were the Sauron and Witch King helms. I also started collecting signed movie posters. Something had to give, and it seemed silly to continue to buy the 3 3/4 stuff, as most of it was sitting in storage. With a new baby on the way (James JR., born 9/16/05) I figured that if I was ever going to sell and try to recoup any of the dough I put into collecting them, the time was right. ROTS was just released, the market was hot, and I had some prime graded errors and variations. I also wanted to shift my collecting focus to the more expensive posters I mentioned, as well as the high quality Side Show items I saw at the con. I did pretty well with the graded stuff, one figure in particular, AFA graded 90 POTF2 transition tray Luke, went for 700+ dollars. All in all, I think I made around 5K, far less than I invested. I have kept a few of my favorites, not necessarily the most valuable ones (that would be the Luke mentioned earlier) and some of the 12 inch two packs.
It was kind of sad to see all that go, and I may regret it in the future, but am very happy with my current collection.
My Side Show focus is LOTR and, of course, Star Wars. I have the helms I referred to, the Morgul Lord, King of the Dead, Sauron and Battle Troll of Mordor polystones (hope to have the Witch King o' Angmar someday). Have Vader PF exclusive (my personal fave!), with Obi exclusive and Greivous on the way! As a long time comic book fan, also like the Marvel VS stuff as well. Have the exclusive X-Men VS Sentinel and Wolverine VS Sabertooth exclusive, with Hulk Vs Spidey ordered as well (not grey, unfortunately...) Looking forward to much more quality Side Show product!

Too much info? Probably, but I had a few minutes to kill...
Best,
James W Barron
[email protected]

Welcome.

We own a townhouse in Mammoth in the Snowcreek Resort. Mammoth is my favorite place on Earth. Oh the beautifull springs and summers..

*sighs*

I aspire to move up there myself full time one day.

Thanks CookieMonster & BTC!
It's been dumping here for the past few days, with another storm on the way! Second highest snowfall total for March EVER! Bodie, if you plan on coming up this season, I can hook u up with some passes...

Welcome aboard snowtrooper...were happy to have another freak aboard..have fun here..its a great place to visit,or live, like Josh:D

15.gif

Greetings, and thanks all!
With the storms we have been getting lately, we just broke the all time snowfall record for a single season, 617 inches (we are at 624 now) with more storms on the way. What has this to do with sideshow? My Obi is sitting in Bishop (nearest FedUp Ex/UPS hub, 50 miles away)......If any of you are into sliding down the hill, now is the time for Mammoth!
Thanks again for your kind welcome. I am sure I will learn alot from you, and be able to share a love for quality that is Sideshow's stock-in-trade!
Best,

Hey Trooper.. I was supposed to come up to Mammoth today.. Due to some circumstances I wont be able to make it and had to last minute cancel the trip. My next trip up there will prolly be in July and then again Ill be there for a little over 2 weeks in August.

Bummer, Bodie. Not to rub it in, but tomorrow will "prolly" be the best day of the season....We will be open untill the 4th of July, so I hope you can make it by then. It would be great to meet another SS collector, and slide down the hill together.
Best,

Welcome!

I cannot tell you how much I love Mammoth! Our family has made a trip up to Lake Mary every summer for the past 20 years, and it's a tradition we're not going to stop. I generally get one ski weekend in every other year or so, but would love to get there more often.

If you see a blonde ski lift operator up there named Ally, feel free to say hello from her brother and the Sideshow Freaks!

And if you see our computer programmer up there (he took a long weekend to enjoy the fresh snow), tell him that I need him!

Glad you decided to join the group!

Thanks, Brant!
I originally came here as I had hit a plateau in my learning curve (and wallet) making bi-monthly trips here every winter. I have since in the three seasons conquered my "to-do" list of runs, and feel really comfortable anywhere on the mountain now. Really love the trees and the top's steep rock chutes! If there is anything I can do to accommodate you two (Bodie & Brant) or any member vacationing up here, just let me know, I am more than happy to help, and would enjoy riding with you!
Best,

Back