This will be my first year playing Fantasy Football...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
... and I have no idea what to do. I just said I wanted in for 20 and the draft is on Tuesday after labor day online.

Can anyone tell me some good places to start and what sort of stuff I should be looking for? I know football, but I'm no crazy sports nut that can remember all the players stats or anything like that.

How does the draft work? I was told the order was 1, 2.., 9, 10, 9..2, 1, etc. It's through Yahoo. Is it smarter to take a QB at your first opportunity? Can you ever have two of the same position on your team? Are there points assessed for the defense?

Is it a lot of work?

Any good pointers and breakdowns would be appreciated.

First thing to do: find out what scoring system your league uses because that determines how you draft.

How much are passing TDs worth? Do you get 1 point for each reception? Is return yardage scored for the player or the Defense?

How many teams are in your league? What is your draft position?

Once you get this information, go to ESPN and check out their fantasy rankings. They will have rankings based upon the different scoring systems. Post the answers to my questions here and I'll give some advice.

And disregard Ink's advice....that was Fantasy Football 2-3 years ago.:lol

First thing to do: find out what scoring system your league uses because that determines how you draft.

How much are passing TDs worth? Do you get 1 point for each reception? Is return yardage scored for the player or the Defense?

Once you get this information, go to ESPN and check out their fantasy rankings. They will have rankings based upon the different scoring systems. Post the answers to my questions here and I'll give some advice.

that's funny I got peterson & mathews :wink1:

Like I said...it all depends on the league scoring.

This my team in one of my 12 team PPR leagues. I had the 4th pick....picks are in order.

Ray Rice RB
Calvin Johnson WR
Greg Jennings WR
Tony Romo QB
Reggie Bush RB
Ahmad Bradshaw RB
Jerome Harrison RB
Bernard Berrian WR
Cadillac Williams RB
Laurent Robinson WR
Malcom Floyd WR
Bernard Scott RB
Kevin Walter WR
Heath Miller TE
Patriots D/ST D/ST
Jeff Reed K

Like I said...it all depends on the league scoring.

This my team in one of my 12 team PPR leagues. I had the 4th pick....picks are in order.

Ray Rice RB
Calvin Johnson WR
Greg Jennings WR
Tony Romo QB
Reggie Bush RB
Ahmad Bradshaw RB
Jerome Harrison RB
Bernard Berrian WR
Cadillac Williams RB
Laurent Robinson WR
Malcom Floyd WR
Bernard Scott RB
Kevin Walter WR
Heath Miller TE
Patriots D/ST D/ST
Jeff Reed K

I've not been following FB as close as I used to, but a lot of those players aren't on my radar.

I like Fantasy Baseball much more than football because it represents the whole team a lot better. Draft all the different positions and such.

My only advice is if you want to win, don't draft with your heart, but if you want to have fun, pick players you enjoy following. If you hate Peyton Manning, don't pick him up because you'll be torn whether to rout for him or against him.

:exactly: and saves me some serious typing...whew! :lol

Knowing how your league scores is VERY important. In my league for instance we score QB's as 1 pt for each 20 yds passing/ 1pt for 10 yds rushing/ 6 pts for TD's/ 2pts for 2pt conversions/ -3 pts for INT's.

However there are a bunch of leagues out there that score QB's very similar but only 3 pts or 4 pts for TD's. So in my league, QB's that throw a lot of TD's and low picks every year are pretty valuable.

Don't reach for players you "like" is also good advice.

Don't forget you can go to ESPN.com and run a mock draft on their site. It's a lot of fun and gives you a chance to see how things might play out so you can prepare for them.

I would have agreed with 316 but that's a pretty nice backfield. What position did you draft in? You never know what's going to happen...that's why the draft is the BEST part of the season.

QB Carson Palmer
WR Miles Austin
WR Chad Ochocinco
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Ryan Mathews
TE Jason Witten
W/R Ahmad Bradshaw
BN Vince Young
BN LaDainian Tomlinson
BN Jordan Shipley
BN Vincent Jackson
BN Jeremy Shockey
K Rob Bironas
BN Neil Rackers
DEF Green Bay

that's my team this year

Yeah, each league is different. You really have to learn your league. I have been in a league for about 7 or 8 years now. I started as a favor to my brother and I really didn't care about it. So my first few years were spent in the cellar. But I did pay enough attention to pick up a lot. And when I started applying that knowledge...my fantasy success went way up. The last three years have seen me make all my money back and some extra with three trips to the post season including two to the Superbowl with one win.

I have a hell of a lot of fun with it now. I am one of the biggest week-to-week traders and spend more than almost anyone else in trades...but it has paid off for me.

The advice about learning how your league scores and applying that to how you draft is great advice.

My Team this year:

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Cedric Benson
RB - Arian Foster
WR - Steve Smith (NYG)
WR - Mike Wallace
TE - Chris Cooley
K - Jay Feely
Def - Steelers

Bench:
QB - Mark Sanchez
WR - Jabar Gafney
WR - Walter Kevin
WR - Nate Washington
TE - Heath Miller

Last edited:
I would have agreed with 316 but that's a pretty nice backfield.

It all depends on how many negative points you get for fumbles.:panic: And the main problem I see with Matthews is the fact that he's a rookie and isn't used to the 17 week season. Every year you see the stud rookie RBs taper off around weeks 12-14....right when you need them for the playoffs.

QB Carson Palmer
WR Miles Austin
WR Chad Ochocinco
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Ryan Mathews
TE Jason Witten
W/R Ahmad Bradshaw
BN Vince Young
BN LaDainian Tomlinson
BN Jordan Shipley
BN Vincent Jackson
BN Jeremy Shockey
K Rob Bironas
BN Neil Rackers
DEF Green Bay

that's my team this year

What was the order you drafted each player? And do I see several homer picks?

Yeah, each league is different. You really have to learn your league. I have been in a league for about 7 or 8 years now. I started as a favor to my brother and I really didn't care about it. So my first few years were spent in the cellar. But I did pay enough attention to pick up a lot. And when I started applying that knowledge...my fantasy success went way up. The last three years have seen me make all my money back and some extra with three trips to the post season including two to the Superbowl with one win.

I have a hell of a lot of fun with it now. I am one of the biggest week-to-week traders and spend more than almost anyone else in trades...but it has paid off for me.

The advice about learning how your league scores and applying that to how you draft is great advice.

My Team this year:

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Cedric Benson
RB - Arian Foster
WR - Steve Smith (NYG)
WR - Mike Wallace
TE - Chris Cooley
K - Jay Feely
Def - Steelers

Bench:
QB - Mark Sanchez
WR - Jabar Gafney
WR - Walter Kevin
WR - Nate Washington
TE - Heath Miller

Whew!

I just keep reminding myself...

I Love the Steelers. I Love the Steelers. I Love the Steelers.

We can tell.:lecture:rotfl

It all depends on how many negative points you get for fumbles.:panic: And the main problem I see with Matthews is the fact that he's a rookie and isn't used to the 17 week season. Every year you see the stud rookie RBs taper off around weeks 12-14....right when you need them for the playoffs.

Agreed. In my league though we don't have any negative points for fumbling so no worries there. Would be happy with that backfield personally.

I'm really hoping to grab a nice RB, a team that uses primarily one back not a tandem, and then Arian Foster. Guy looks good! Where is he going in your drafts guys?

Also, what about Spiller for the Bills? Is he the #1 guy there? He looked really good the other night too. Wouldn't mind grabbing him a little later if he is.

:)I do use the Steelers' players a lot. But nobody has ever been able to say that the ones I use suck and only got picked because I love the Steelers.

I do the same thing. As long as I can get them around their ADP. Problem is someone else usually grabs them earlier. Miller is my target TE if I don't land any of the top 5 guys. I see him getting more work now that Holmes is gone.

Agreed. In my league though we don't have any negative points for fumbling so no worries there. Would be happy with that backfield personally.

I'm really hoping to grab a nice RB, a team that uses primarily one back not a tandem, and then Arian Foster. Guy looks good! Where is he going in your drafts guys?

Also, what about Spiller for the Bills? Is he the #1 guy there? He looked really good the other night too. Wouldn't mind grabbing him a little later if he is.

I've seen Foster go anywhere between 4th and 8th rounds.

Spiller needs to be handcuffed with Fred Jackson.

So I'm drafting 6th in my league and I spoke with a few of the other people drafting above me.

Looks like it's going to be CJ, AP, Rice, Rodgers, Brees, then me. Bit of a dilemna as the MJD news has surfaced and it's between him and Gore for me...what do you guys think?

The hope here is that I can get Brady or Manning on the way back up.

Question 2, if Gore, Turner and Brees are available (other current possibility) what would you guys do and why?

My league has 6 pts for QB TD's, -3 for INT's, and 1pt for 20 PYDs, 1pt for 10 RYDs.

Back