Print and Poster Storage

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Something Sexy

Super Freak
Reaction score
I figured this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone have any good recommendations to storing prints as small as 11 by 17 and as large as 40" in one length? I have most of them in tubes standing up and then my 8 by 10s in a photo book type. I am looking for a flat way to store them more long term rather than in tubes.

I suppose it might be easier to store the smaller ones together, rather that trying to store all in one thing?

they make binders for prints, but i have no idea which ones are good or bad.............i asked in the art thread, but got no response :dunno. For now, i just have most of my prints not on my wall in between 2 pieces of cardboard with a weight on top.............ghetto style

Hey SS

i always felt for large poster type prints that tubes were they way to go, but not the super thin tubes that could really mess up the poster but the really thick drafting type tubes, they are really sturdy and it would take a lot to damage them.....this is what i keep all my posters i really like but don't haver the room to hang stored in.

as for smaller prints, portfolios with plastic sleeves are the way to go:

print-portfolio.jpg
marketing-portfolio-1.jpg

you just gotta find one that suits the size you want and it's preference if you prefer the binder rings or coil spine, etc...

Thanks for the responses guys. I will check yours Josh.

Anyone use these before?

https://www.dking-gallery.com/store/Mylar.html

And any ideas for large posters, bigger than 36"?

I have a few Alamo posters I won't be framing for a while that I think I would rather store somewhere else other than tubes but maybe the tubes are fine? Or are there more "archival" tubes out there?

Sorry Azure, I didn't see your post in the other thread.

I have one of these for prints up to 13" x 19": https://www.amazon.com/Itoya-RB-13-19-Multi-Ring-Refillable-Presentation/dp/B000RP55RG, it keeps the prints well protected and you can buy more pages when you've filled it up.

For anything 40" inches or above, I'd go with a tube. I have a big envelope that I got my Silk Spectre print in, I keep all my bigger prints in there.

I have one of these for prints up to 13" x 19": https://www.amazon.com/Itoya-RB-13-19-Multi-Ring-Refillable-Presentation/dp/B000RP55RG, it keeps the prints well protected and you can buy more pages when you've filled it up.

For anything 40" inches or above, I'd go with a tube. I have a big envelope that I got my Silk Spectre print in, I keep all my bigger prints in there.

When you share tubes or envelopes do you use anything specific to store in between them?

For tubes would it better to get a plastic one that is hopefully archival or stick with a thick cardboard?

its cool..............yours is kinda pricey, so i went with a 18x24 portfolio for my larger prints and a 13x19 for my smaller ones that Josh pointed out for a combined $56 shipped.

When you share tubes or envelopes do you use anything specific to store in between them?

For tubes would it better to get a plastic one that is hopefully archival or stick with a thick cardboard?
No, I usually just stick them all in there, they've been fine so far.

As for tubes, if I receive one in the mail, I usually just store the print in that same one until I get something else to put it in.

its cool..............yours is kinda pricey, so i went with a 18x24 portfolio for my larger prints and a 13x19 for my smaller ones that Josh pointed out for a combined $56 shipped.
Oh I just posted that as an example, I was just too lazy to find one that was cheaper. I paid a lot less for mine.

No, I usually just stick them all in there, they've been fine so far.

As for tubes, if I receive one in the mail, I usually just store the print in that same one until I get something else to put it in.

Oh I just posted that as an example, I was just too lazy to find one that was cheaper. I paid a lot less for mine.

Alright last question hopefully, any specific envelop you use or just get a nice one from an art supply store or something?

I have a bunch of 8 x 10 autographed photos that I need to store away. Any recommendations?

I know some ideas were thrown out there in earlier posts, but I'm worried about the ink from the autographs on the photo paper smearing once in a plastic sleeve...

Michael's is a great place to pick up the Itoya portfolios, but they only have up to 11x17", no 13x19" unfortunately.

Be sure to use the 40-50% off coupon that you can get through their mailing list, or just by googling "Michael's coupon." Brings them down to cheaper than you'd pay online.

I really like the Itoya stuff.

I know u want something flat SS....But I thought I'd share. While I was at CV...i saw a bunch of people carrying around giant poster tubes:
https://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/poster-shipping-tubes.html?gclid=CK3mwIfW4qMCFYlY2godeWJhTQ

I think you can probably fit a S-Load of prints in there, maybe save up some space.

I was thinking about something like that but I kind of wanted something flat to keep all my bigger ones in. I found some stuff similar to what ill posted but I am not sure I liked the ones I found yet. Maybe I will try online. If nothing I could get a very nice tube to store them in.

Back