Billy Shelf + Besta Glass Door Combo Alternative.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepecoco

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there are lots of Besta/Detolf/Billy users out there.
Most use the aluminum glass door for maximum viewing but they are expensive for the casual collectors. But what if you want an alternative for your 1/6 model that is pleasing to the eye, wife friendly and on a budget, and you have no more space for new detolf glass display cabinets.

The following is my attempt to spruce up my old 60cm Billy shelf. (no longer in production).

The issue that I am having is that IKEA no longer produces these shelves and inturn the glass door for them. With the 80cm as the current model; I had no choice but to look at the Besta's 60cm glass doors.

I came aross this cheap but yet funtional glass door that could potential look pleasing to the eye and less impact on the wallet.
(Besta Vara)

Check out the photos.

Installing 1 of 3 panels to the old shelf
IMG_4117.JPG

Unfortunately, the screws provided do not fit the predrilled holes. I had to drill smaller holes to accomodate the screw size
IMG_4119.JPG

Using the existing holes as a guide ensures that the door will open propery once installed.
IMG_4120.JPG

Marking the drill bit just in case
IMG_4121.JPG

This is the model number for the door. $45 AUD each.
IMG_4126.JPG

Ensure that you start from the top and it's flushed against the top of the shelf
IMG_4128.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

Adding the second panel, making sure that there is enough room for each panel in between. At the same time, you don't want too big of a gap to let the dust in.

IMG_4131.JPG

I dont have a 1/6 scale model yet, testing using a World of Warcraft model with some LED lighting.

IMG_4134.JPG

Last edited:
cont'd

IMG_4139.JPG

Working out the best shelfing configuration with my other WoW Stuff
IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

3 panels installed, starting to look neat.
IMG_4142.JPG

Empty cabinet, reusuable for models, other geeky goods as well ;)
IMG_4143.JPG

Cleaned up the shelf, vacuum and most of my WoW Collection packed in.
IMG_4145.JPG

Hmmm... there is no more room for my camera gear , lol.
IMG_4146.JPG

Anyway, I hoped you have enjoyed the photos and hopefully planted some new ideas for your next weekend project.

Happy Collecting!

hi chewblanca,

Hmm, I have not seen these in the Australia Ikea Stores.
Not sure which Glass Panel from Ikea will fit; but I know what you mean, add a door panel and you have a pretty cool minimalist case.

Thanks for sharing.

Back