Computer geeks! Need your thoughts on Internet speed issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt S

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all

Long story short: I have a Vista based system; I use At&t uverse for Internet and should have an 18 mpbs connection. Within last month, speakeasy.net tells me I am getting 10 tops. When I use Speedtest.net, i do get a better (higher) test........Only other weird thing, when i test Speakeasy using my PS3, i get the same slower connection

I had my friend bring over his new Dell laptop with Windows 7 - I plugged my connecton to his comp and same, lower result

The tech guy just came out and his little computer and received 17 mpbs result using speakeasy.net and speedtest.net, no problems, so the connection from the HUB to house seems fine.

Why would both mine and friends comp have one result, his another? Any know Microsoft update incompatibility issue?

Of course the tech guys says its my comp dropping the data and causing the issue, which is possible, i guess. if my friends comp had same higher speed result, I'd know its me.......weird

Gotta love it

Thanks, geek freaks!

Last edited:
Well first off most the time when they say 18mb connection thats a max speed not a constant speed. Second you have to account for server load at the site your testing at. Did the tech guy plug his computer in to the exact same port as you pc, then test the exact same site and then you test the same site? I have tested mine and sometimes I get the full 7 I should get and then sometimes its 3 and then sometimes it 5. Also when you ran test was any other device connected to the internet and was any other programs that could connect to the internet running? All off these will effect the results.

Well first off most the time when they say 18mb connection thats a max speed not a constant speed. Second you have to account for server load at the site your testing at. Did the tech guy plug his computer in to the exact same port as you pc, then test the exact same site and then you test the same site? I have tested mine and sometimes I get the full 7 I should get and then sometimes its 3 and then sometimes it 5. Also when you ran test was any other device connected to the internet and was any other programs that could connect to the internet running? All off these will effect the results.

I thought AT&T was a guarantee speed? I would look it up on their site or your account information. I know with cable internet it is not a guaranteed speed and it depends on current load of the node in your area but I think AT&T was different in that regard.

Maybe update your network card drivers. Are you going through your own router? Did he connect directly to the modem while you are not?

I thought AT&T was a guarantee speed? I would look it up on their site or your account information. I know with cable internet it is not a guaranteed speed and it depends on current load of the node in your area but I think AT&T was different in that regard.

Maybe update your network card drivers. Are you going through your own router? Did he connect directly to the modem while you are not?

They can only guarantee speed from your house to there severs once it hits the internet all bets are off.

Yeah he plugged he unplugged my comp and used the same connection and rec the correct actual speed......prir the constant speed would be 15ish now its 9-10 max.... no other devices connected no running

thanks

Yeah he plugged he unplugged my comp and used the same connection and rec the correct actual speed......prir the constant speed would be 15ish now its 9-10 max.... no other devices connected no running

thanks

So you are connecting DIRECTLY to the modem when you are doing this?

I did think of one thing about your difference between pc and ps3, are both wired connections?

SBC aka AT&T is awful! And I've only had this less than 3 years and I've already had to replace the modem, at my expense.

:gah:

SBC aka AT&T is awful! And I've only had this less than 3 years and I've already had to replace the modem, at my expense.

:gah:

Sucker.

I also have AT&T and have replaced 3 modems. And didn't pay for any of them.

They tried to tell me if was going to be on my dime, but I told them I'm paying for your service. Without a functioning modem I'm not getting access to the service I'm paying for....therefore you'll need to credit my account for the last X number of days that I couldn't access the service. Then they tell me they'll send out a replacement modem at no charge..this time.:lol

Sucker.

I also have AT&T and have replaced 3 modems. And didn't pay for any of them.

They tried to tell me if was going to be on my dime, but I told them I'm paying for your service. Without a functioning modem I'm not getting access to the service I'm paying for....therefore you'll need to credit my account for the last X number of days that I couldn't access the service. Then they tell me they'll send out a replacement modem at no charge..this time.:lol

The way they got around that with me is they said that they'd have to send a tech out with the modem and I'd have to pay for his time which would cost me more than the modem. I threatened to go to Road Runner and they didn't care. :monkey4

I'm satisfied with Time Warner high-speed broadband:

speedtest.jpg

:rock

Back