Exclusive SELL-OUT times

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone kept track of the time it took for each SW exclusive figure to sell-out?

Jinn took 30 mins.
Windu took 30 mins.
Han took 1 hour and 8 mins.

How about Luke, Anakin, Kit and Obi-Wan?

Kit sold out in 25 minutes. I believe that may be the lowest time yet, but that was for a lot less pieces than Qui-Gon. 2000 pieces in 28 minutes (according to Sideshow's front page) is an amazing record.

EVILFACE said:
Luke 3
Anakin 2
OB1 1
Kit 23 min.

You are correct, sir. I just checked my records. Actually, Luke, Anakin and Obi-Wan were just under those times but close enough to round off.

You can see where this is going, as more and more people discover Sideshow. Ah, the good ol' days of a 3 hour window for 1250 pieces...

I'm typing these up just to make it easy for people to see...

LUKE - just under 3 hrs
ANAKIN - just under 2 hrs
OBI-WAN - just under 1 hr
KIT - 23 mins
HAN - 1 hr 8 mins
MACE - 30 mins
QUI-GON - 30 mins

See a trend?

VADER - 3.23 seconds!

Also, Sideshow did not have as big a following when Luke went up for preorder. Oh how times have changed.

And the only reason Han took longer is because the likeness is the worst of the bunch (yes, Toyfair pics redeemed him a bit...). If he resembled 1980 Harrison Ford, I bet he would have sold out in 30 minutes as well.

Yes, I didn't know about Sideshow until after Luke sold out. I had never collected Star Wars before and was actually looking for a 12" Vader and Stormtrooper. I was Googling reviews for the Medicom Vader when, lo and behold, there was news of Sideshow making 12" SW figures and the first one had already sold out! This was back on November 14th. I ordered the regular edition within seconds of reading the news. Too bad the waitlist for the exclusive was already closed. But I still highly anticipate my regular version in the next couple weeks :)

JustinLuck said:
And the only reason Han took longer is because the likeness is the worst of the bunch (yes, Toyfair pics redeemed him a bit...). If he resembled 1980 Harrison Ford, I bet he would have sold out in 30 minutes as well.

I am a bit disheartened by the lack of "Ford" in the Ford sculpt. Han is my favorite "hero" character and I was most eagerly awaiting his appearance. I got him, with his pet mynoch, but I have to agree the likeness just isn't there.

88th division said:
Also, Sideshow did not have as big a following when Luke went up for preorder. Oh how times have changed.

One thing that has swung the other way is the sell-out times for the regular editions. It takes longer now to sell-out the regular editions. Luke, Anakin and Obi-Wan all took about a week. Starting with Kit, after his record sell-out for the xclusive, it took a long time to sell the regular. Same with Han and Mace. In fact, their sell-out's were announced the night of the next pre-order...which leads one to believe that maybe SS is cutting the size down and halting the slower sales so they can say later "hey, we just found a few Han's hidden in our warehouse, come and get 'em".

EVILFACE said:
Well the first 3 were hampered by the servers, especially Luke, that was a nightmare lol.

If I remember correctly I think Luke was the easiest of them all to get... I don't think many people knew about him so they wern't trying to get him.

madden821 said:
If I remember correctly I think Luke was the easiest of them all to get... I don't think many people knew about him so they wern't trying to get him.

Lol right, there were plenty of us here and news on the web, and they were ready when he went up. It's just that SS had no idea the door they opened that morning was far far far to small.

Wor-Gar said:
I am a bit disheartened by the lack of "Ford" in the Ford sculpt. Han is my favorite "hero" character and I was most eagerly awaiting his appearance. I got him, with his pet mynoch, but I have to agree the likeness just isn't there.

This is truly unfortunate b/c Mat did such a great job capturing the essence of Luke as we'll all find out when he arrives at our door next week.

This time Mat just missed it, but missed it unusually big IMO; the eyes, jaw, puffy face, how many side-by-side reference photos have we seen and it just doesn't hit the mark, maybe 70-75% there but way off for SS standards.

It's the big elephant in the room now and Andy B says these sculpts go through several design approval processes (Lucasfilm SS, etc) before getting the green light so the actual manufacturing cycle for these figs have already been set in place. I was bummed too, not much we can do about it unless SS decides to delay the piece and do it right, redo the sculpt quietly. They read every single comment on their web site and know by now it's been a bit of a letdown but how do you approach your EMPLOYER with this? It's like telling Speilberg his camera angle kinda sucks on a particular scene.

All you need to do is look at the ebay pre-sale numbers for Han and the poor guy's star aint a shining too bright. I hope therte is some way we can convince them to resculpt Han without stepping on any toes because he certainly deserves it, he is much too an important piece.

I'm a little relaxed regarding Han. I wasn't expecting so much out of the 12" figure, since I was one who was completely satisfied by the PF sculpt of Han. That one hit the nail on the head and I didn't feel the need for the 12" to come along and improve upon it. I know that some were feeling that the 1/6 Han would be the ultimate version when it showed up, and I think there was a heightened level of expectation with this piece. As a result, some were let down. Personally, I am happy with it, but my Han PF remains my favorite version. (Just as I hoped it would.)

Han shouldn't of took that long, besides the fact that is freak'n han solo, his exclusive item is the best, it's like an extra figure, who doesn't want a 1/6 scale mynock?

EVILFACE said:
Lol right, there were plenty of us here and news on the web, and they were ready when he went up. It's just that SS had no idea the door they opened that morning was far far far to small.

Well, maybe I just got lucky when I ordered and it went very smooth for him. I do agree that Sideshow probably had no idea what the popularity of these things would be or else Luke wouldn't have been only 1250.

tomandshell said:
I'm a little relaxed regarding Han. I wasn't expecting so much out of the 12" figure, since I was one who was completely satisfied by the PF sculpt of Han. That one hit the nail on the head and I didn't feel the need for the 12" to come along and improve upon it. I know that some were feeling that the 1/6 Han would be the ultimate version when it showed up, and I think there was a heightened level of expectation with this piece. As a result, some were let down. Personally, I am happy with it, but my Han PF remains my favorite version. (Just as I hoped it would.)

I think most people wanted the 1/6 Han to be the ultimate Han because (like me) they can't afford the space or the cost of the PF. Expectations were high because the previous SW figures had looked so damn good and ESB Han is a favorite character by many.

It is just a fact that it is easier to replicate a likeness in 1/4 scale as opposed to 1/6 scale. That is why they took the PF route. I think a rethink of strategy needs to take place. Any figure likely of a PF edition ought to have its 1/6th counterpart released first. As has been said above, the approval process has been met. Sideshows response is, of course, according to policy, and so no response is the response. Sideshow can't show you the sculpt they tried to have approved, compared to the one that was approved.

The point is moot, in any event. and they have broad enough shoulders and ethics to comply to contracted, or rather licensed agreement. That they bear the brunt of the critique is a blessing for the actual culprits that go on to shine in the sun. It is all part of the game. Go to jail, go directly to jail. In due course you will be released and allowed to play on.

I dont collect the SW figs, so havent kept up with what's been going on. Did Sideshow have the rights to Fords likeness? No need to answer, I will forge on. If not then that is why the resemblance is off. Look at Brent in the PotA line. Lots of complaining. Eventually the truth quelled the fire. Fire spreads, so it did bring a lot of attention to the PotA line. The same might be going on here. I was interested in getting the Han to make my own bashed Indy. Wont bother now. Still, a collectible can rocket in price because it is flawed, and that it didn't sell well, adds to its value. Time holds the answers.

Back