PDA

View Full Version : eBooks outsell real books at Amazon for the first time ever!

lcummins
07-20-2010, 01:49 PM
That's right, for the first time in history, eBooks for the Amazon Kindle have outsold real books. Amazon has been selling books for about 15 years, and only eBooks for the Kindle for about 3 years, yet in the last quarter, they have been selling about 180 eBooks for every 100 real books sold! The beloved book is about to become extinct... along with magazines, newspapers, and just about every other form of physical paper reading material! :slap

Batty
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
I'll always buy actual books. I think eBooks are good if you're on the go, but I prefer to sit down and turn actual pages.

lcummins
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I'll always buy actual books. I think eBooks are good if you're on the go, but I prefer to sit down and turn actual pages.

I'm with you! I just can't get into reading a book on a screen. I love being able to take a book anywhere and read it any time.

Kirthew
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I love to read on my Ipad... it is amazing... but some books you cannot find in e-book form... also... I hate paying the same price for an e-book as a regular book.. Just like I won't be buying digital comics until they come down on the price... I really won't be buying certain e-books until the price drops..

hairlesswookiee
07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

:lecture:lecture Yeah. I prefer actual books, but I have been ramping up my reading on the iPad. I personally doubt physical books will ever be vanquished, I definitely see the appeal for ebooks.

EVILFACE
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Reading on a computer screen for the rest of your life will ruin your eyes.

occulum
07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
it'll be just like music for me.
The favorites are still bought in physical form while rest are bought digitally.
I didnt like the idea at first, but I love it now.

You hoarders just cant deal with the loss of your clutter :lol

Kibishii
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. I have bought six books for my kindle app on the iTouch in the last three weeks or so. I am on summer break, so I have alot more reading time, but I don't see me buying hard copies anymore unless I have to.

It is way more convenient, you already have a booklight so you can lay in bed and read while the Mrs. sleeps, and you can take it anywhere you go easily.

occulum
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Reading on a computer screen for the rest of your life will ruin your eyes.

I used to think that as well.
20yrs later of staring at a computer screen for 8-10hrs a day im still 20/20 ....

Batty
07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I also collect books, and that's something I won't stop doing anytime soon.

I have to admit that iBooks looks great. I downloaded it onto my iPhone since it was free. And the free copy of Winnie the Pooh was nice. :)

d_jedi1
07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm not surprised to hear it.
Every day working at amazon, I see fewer and fewer books and more toys (especially sex-toys :gah: ), games, and household stuff.
God, the WORST thing we carry (IMO) is food. I mean seriously? people don't wanna be bothered with buying their chocolate bars (or whatever) from the grocery store and would rather buy from Amazon that has it all sit in a warehouse at over 100deg f. ?
Also.. our amount of employee theft would drop dramatically if the beef jerky and _____ enhancement pills were not stocked. (aside from video games, those are our two most stolen items)

hairlesswookiee
07-20-2010, 02:10 PM
I have to admit that iBooks looks great. I downloaded it onto my iPhone since it was free. And the free copy of Winnie the Pooh was nice. :)

How is Winnie the Pooh?? I just heard the other day that it was free, and that the drawings in it are supposed to be really clear.

Batty
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
How is Winnie the Pooh?? I just heard the other day that it was free, and that the drawings in it are supposed to be really clear.

Just do it. The illustrations look beautiful and the book itself is over 300 pages.

Praetorian380
07-20-2010, 02:49 PM
That's right, for the first time in history, eBooks for the Amazon Kindle have outsold real books. Amazon has been selling books for about 15 years, and only eBooks for the Kindle for about 3 years, yet in the last quarter, they have been selling about 180 eBooks for every 100 real books sold! The beloved book is about to become extinct... along with magazines, newspapers, and just about every other form of physical paper reading material! :slap

HUMAN FAIL :slap

ShadowX81
07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Il stick to the real books. You know, the ones you don't have to recharge or worry about breaking every time you mishandle your backpack.

EVILFACE
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
HUMAN FAIL :slap

Makes books easier to rewrite. Big Brother is coming :panic: :panic:

karamazov80
07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I prefer to read my books via the film adaptations on my HD television. When the Kindle outsells Blu Rays, let me know to panic. Thanks.

King Darkness
07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Thats shameful. Technology is great but nothing can replace the feel of a book.

automaton
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
i would like to see all books come with an ebook version... the best of both worlds.

ShadowX81
07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
i would like to see all books come with an ebook version... the best of both worlds.

Why would you need both?

And wouldnt that just make the real book cost more?

Batty
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Thats shameful. Technology is great but nothing can replace the feel of a book.

Too bad you don't know how to read. :(

King Darkness
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
True, but that doesnt change the feel of a book. I can feel you jerk :mad:

Darth Snoopy
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Real books > ebooks :lecture

Batty
07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
True, but that doesnt change the feel of a book. I can feel you jerk :mad:

You can feel me jerk? That's inappropriate. :nono

King Darkness
07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I got nothin' :dunno

:lol :lol :lol

Batty
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
:lol :lol :lol

tomandshell
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
You can feel me jerk? That's inappropriate. :nono

:goodpost:

EVILFACE
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Too bad you don't know how to read. :(

Then why type this message to him? HMMMMMMMM???????////

tomandshell
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Well, I like books and I would miss them if they go away.

darthviper107
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
That's kind of surprising, I mean, you can read them on a number of devices, but I don't see many average people buying the Kindle or other Ebook readers. And it was already kind of awkward to read a book from a computer, or a phone.

I don't think I'll ever buy an Ebook, I'll always get the real thing.

daikkenaurora
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Its the end of the world. Where are the zombies?

Praetorian380
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Its the end of the world. Where are the zombies?

soon. they will be here soon.

Cloud
07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
See if only it was the much-beloved Cooking with Pooh I'd be sold.

Razor Hanzo
07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
This is a clear case of don't knock it till you try it. I'm a huge bibliophile, having several hundred books in storage. For X-mas my wife gave me a Kindle and I don't miss paper books at all. The thing is super light and you can read in direct sunlight. It also carries 1,500 books on it. This is especially great for travelers. Tomorrow I leave for Comicon and have tons of books at my disposal while waiting in those enormous lines.

I don't see the need for an Ipad yet, but if I ever forget my Kindle I can read the books on the Kindle app on my Droid. They even sync with each other so I'm always on the same page.

The Ween
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I still buy books and cds. I will till I can't anymore.

Praetorian380
07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I still buy books and cds. I will till I can't anymore.

word Ween....word :yess:

Agent0028
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm a huge book collector, I save every book I read (I probably have almost 1000 now, it was 600 a few years ago). I pay attention to the finer details of the book as well. The font, the size, the margins, where the page numbers are, the way the chapter begins and about a dozen other things that would lose everyone's interest if I were to list them. So I don't see myself ever going for an eBook reader.

Darth Waller
07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I had a Kindle, but recently sold it to a friend. After reading over a dozen books on it, I realized I missed real books. I got tired of seeing the same font on every eBook I read. I also had a couple eBooks that had some fudged-up formatting and that just bugged the hell out of me when I read them.

The Mike
07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
eBooks are fantastic. I can carry a ton of books on the go instead of being weighed down by physical books. Using torrents I have over 600 books on my iPad already which means realistically I'll never really have a need for a book both current and classic. It feels great just like it did when I carried my first iPod where I didn't have to drag around a ton of CD or sit there and make mixed CDs trying to get burning software not to fail and lose CDs.

Those who do not evolve are meant to be left in the past as memories and examples of stubborness. Bring on more tech.

tomandshell
07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm going to go camping. I'll take my Kindle and a real book and we'll see which one runs out of batteries first.

The Mike
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I understand those who love books more power to you but I'd much rather have the option to listen to music, check my email and flip the pages of a novel in one device on the go. Whether it runs out of batteries or not.

The Ringer
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Newspapers are old school. :lecture

tomandshell
07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I agree there. Newspapers and magazines are both something that I would be willing to read digitally instead of flipping through them once and throwing them into a landfill. But I am always going to enjoy a collection of my favorite books sitting on the shelf.

Would any of us settle for a digital version of a Sideshow statue that we could look at any time we wanted? No, because there's more to it than just what it looks like. There is the experience of having it right there sitting on your shelf on display. I have a similar shelf with different hardcover versions of Lord of the Rings that I have picked up over the year. There's more to collecting books than mere access to the words themselves.

The Mike
07-20-2010, 09:11 PM
See but that is in the eye of the beholder. Thousands of people wouldn't think twice about tossing out action figures and comic books from their youth or for their children while there are thousands who collect them mint in package or board and bag them in pristine conditions.

Would any of us settle for digital versions of a Sideshow statue? Of course not we are collectors on a board dedicated to statues, figures and dios amongst others but then how many people look at us crazy when they find out the hundreds of dollars we spend on said collectible?

Collectors will always be collectors but if you're talking about the general public the more the generations embrace technology, the more books will be looked at as antiques and relics of the past. Which is how they move from practical to collectible isn't it?

automaton
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Why would you need both?

And wouldnt that just make the real book cost more?

it is about options... i love books and will not choose an ebook over them. if a newly purchased ebook included a digital version, i may even buy more than i do now as all of a sudden, i have options...

a digital version shouldn't be an additional cost, it should be an incentive to get more people reading.

Razor Hanzo
07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm going to go camping. I'll take my Kindle and a real book and we'll see which one runs out of batteries first.

My Kindle goes three weeks with the 3G turned off.

Kabukiman
07-21-2010, 06:15 AM
I love it when emerging useful technologies gain popularity and all the old fogies come out of the woodwork to tell everybody to get off their lawn. :lol

The Ween
07-21-2010, 08:58 AM
How many of these eBooks are selling right now because someone has a new toy?

BTW.....some schools are going to netbooks for their students that can be loaded with their books instead of buying textbooks. This sounds like a good idea, but I have to wonder what the costs will be in the long run. How many kids are going to break these things or lose them. Too many of the kids in our district are on welfare so if something happens to the netbook, there's no way they'll buy another one. (Even though they could really, but that's a rant for another day).

The Ween
07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I love it when emerging useful technologies gain popularity and all the old fogies come out of the woodwork to tell everybody to get off their lawn. :lol

Until the price of Kindles and such drop, and the ebooks are actually cheaper than a real book, I just can't see using one of these things. There's nothing "old fogie" about that.

As for newspapers and magazines. Most other them don't have the same content on their websites.

And I recycle. :)

ShadowX81
07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
I love it even more when people jump on the bandwagon of the new and expensive technology simply because it is more advanced. Even though it isn't fully established. And then when it doesnt catch on they are quickly stuck with a useless antique.

Becuase of them there are landfills stuffed with palm pilots, N-gages, sega saturns, those computer/tvs that gateway used to make, zunes, laserdisks, recycable DIVX dvds, Audrey mini-computers, smart appliances, video phones, voice recognition devices, webvans, and Segways.

ProgMatinee
07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
eBooks are fantastic. I can carry a ton of books on the go instead of being weighed down by physical books. Using torrents I have over 600 books on my iPad already which means realistically I'll never really have a need for a book both current and classic. It feels great just like it did when I carried my first iPod where I didn't have to drag around a ton of CD or sit there and make mixed CDs trying to get burning software not to fail and lose CDs.

Those who do not evolve are meant to be left in the past as memories and examples of stubborness. Bring on more tech.

Yeah, why carry the 1 book you're currently reading when you can carry 600 at a time and put them in shuffle mode so that it randomly brings up a different book every 5 minutes just like the iPod does with music. Exactly the same. :lol

Kabukiman
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I love it even more when people jump on the bandwagon of the new and expensive technology simply because it is more advanced...

Yeah? Well I love it even more times infinity when people love it more than how much I love it.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3305/4755e140e1eecfeaturedwi.jpg

Cryoguns
07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I got a few ebooks when I first got my iPhone. While I prefer physical books, I generally just get a few books here and there to kill time while waiting in line, for food at a restaurant, etc. I do like that there's a lot of free ones through Project Gutenberg as well.

Agent0028
07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
There is no denying the ebook readers are convenient. I'd love to have one for vacation. It would be much easier than packing a stack of books to read. But I would have to go back and rebuy the book to put on my shelf so in the end it isn't financially worth it.