My full scale JABBERWOCKY puppet project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Walker

Digging my way out!
Reaction score
Even though it's now finished, I can only post a couple of shots for now, then after the 26th, and some folks can be surprised by it, I will post the rest.

Anyway, here's the in-prog shots of the Jabberwocky I have made for a local children's theatre play here in my hometown. I got sorta drafted to make it, since I worked on last year's ALice in Wonderland play, and made the poster art and the Catepillar of last year's show.
This time though, what with all that's been happening in my life, my Mom's problems, my Dad's, and my own, work backlog and more included, I couldn't be as active this go round on this particular show. Still, they are saying I am the Art Director, and as such, I can't let my name have total crap to show for it, so here's the Jabberwocky project as best as I could make it in the short time I had to work.

He took me three days total, this last weekend, to make. I just couldn't devote more time to it. That's why he doesn't have better scales and such, but it's for children's theatre, so who cares. As long as the kiddies like it, and it resembles the poster art, it's fine.

To see what I was reaching for, here's the new play's poster Art that I did also. It was made with photos and scans and drawn on a bit, then scanned again, then touched up. Several layers worth. I did this one on July 4th. That was my vacation.

LookingGlassPOSTERFinalsmall.jpg

And here's the full scale Jabberwocky himself....(there are two hands and arms too, but they didn't take as long)

Started, he's just a styrofoam ball, some dowel rods, duct tape, glue, lots of glue, cloth, foamcore sheets (he had to be as lightweight as possible) and eventually, spray paint touched up with craft paint.
His neck and the arms are PVC pipe, with duct taped dowels for fingers. It's pretty much a "Tissue paper and Spit" project. On the fly, as it were.

Jabberwock001.jpg

Jabberwock002.jpg

The layers helped the mouth open and close, and when he's toggled just right, his mouth works.
Jabberwock003.jpg

Added the Fu Manchus and some attitude, and he's getting there...
Jabberwock004.jpg

More to come after the show starts. I don't want to spread the painted images just yet. After some kiddies get scared well enough, I'll post the rest.
He is finished though, and in the hands of the theatre folks.

It was the hardest time crunch project I have ever worked on. And in this summer, south Georgia heat wave, it was murder working out in the garage on him. It was humid and 95 to 100 degrees out there. Painting at my beloved table inside is a literal BREEZE after working out there! God, I hate heat!

More pics to come.

Can't wait to see the finished product... this more than demonstrates that your Kung Fu is strong :lecture

More of the Jabberwocky, finished and in context to the show....

Looks more Evil Dead at this point....
Jabberwock005.jpg

Eyes, teeth and details painted in...
Jabberwock006.jpg

I didn't bother to detail the scales like I would have normally, since it's a kid's show critter. They won't care.
You can see the pair of hands made for it also.

Outside in the light
Jabberwock007.jpg

And on stage...
Jabberwock008.jpg

One of the crew dropped him on his left eyeball, onto a cinder block (Yeah, I got mad), and damaged the eye paintup after these shots, so his eyes are repainted now, looking more downward, and in a less complex paint manner. Just yellow and black and blue.
Glad I got these shots when I did. I liked these more stoner looking, RatFink era looking eyes better, but I wasn't going through all that again.

So glad that project is long over. It was HOT out there in my garage making this thing.

Back