I know it blongs elsewhere, but about Detolfs . . .

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avbat

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have few sets of them and was wondering how many people line the door w/ some sort of seal to prevent dust from entering? It seems like a good idea to me as I live in the desert:(.

I bought some thick clear plastic tubing at the hardware store, cut it to the length of each of the four sides of the door, then slit it down the middle so I can fit the tubing over the edges of the glass door. With a little adjusting after you close the door, this extends the door to touch the sides making a seal. It works pretty good and is clear, too.

Sean

You could probably also buy some strips of clear vinyl and use those to seal the gaps. I'm talking about the stuff they use to make those removable window decals or to protect the digital readout on your microwave.

I bought some thick clear plastic tubing at the hardware store, cut it to the length of each of the four sides of the door, then slit it down the middle so I can fit the tubing over the edges of the glass door. With a little adjusting after you close the door, this extends the door to touch the sides making a seal. It works pretty good and is clear, too.

Sean

Pictures please.

Yea these are some good ideas. I plan on going to home depot today and seeing if they have anything that might fit the bill. I was thinking like a sort of flexible clear plastic strip that has adhesive on one half so maybe you can just stick it on. I swear I remember someone talking about it on here somewhere about a year ago? I have been seaching for the posts for a while, but can find them. Maybe I am just imagining it :dunno.

I did. I bought some of those foam seals. They work great. Put some on the left and right side. I'm quite surprised how well it seals. I originally bought one of the wooden glass cases at Ikea and was gonna stick to them cause of the huge gaps on those detolf. I really wanted detolfs though as they're great price and look better. Someone posted the solution here though with pics but basically, its just one of those weather seal foams. They're cheap. Its weird as my detolf now actually seals from dust better than the wooden glass case from ikea.

Pictures please.

Here you can see the plastic tubing as it wraps around the edge of the glass door. It's large enough so that, when the door is closed, it creates a seal where there's a gap between the glass walls of the case and the door.

It's completely cut down on dust entering the case, which was a problem before. And it's basically invisible. This was the first case I did and the tubing was cut a little jagged, which is easily remedied.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Sean

In a related question... I bought a Detolf in NY, and brought it with me on my move to CO. When I got here, I found out my Detolf is missing the two long pieces of rubber/plastic that hold the back pieces together.

Since I have no idea where my receipt is, I can't get those pieces replaced. Does anyone have an idea of what I could use in place of those strips?

I actually ended up getting insulating foam strips called Closed Cell Tape from Home Depot and used it to cover all edges. Just had to get two different thicknesses to make it work. Foam is black, strangely the adhesive is silver but I can live with that. The seal seems pretty good so time will tell if this does the trick
p1000580m.jpg

p1000579k.jpg

Sorry damn tired so didn't realize how out of focus the pics where but you get the idea :p

BTW was cleaning up big time and rearranging so I dustproof not just my Detolfs but also my Besta shelves. I really hope I never have to dust again ;)

Last edited:
Back