Question about lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrose

Super Freak
Reaction score
I doubt this is the right place for this thread, but Im not sure what category it would fall into better.

So in my display unit are 6" can lights with dimmers. Right now it has 60watt bulbs but Im going replace them with 40 watt bulbs, because 60 at it's max is too bright.

My question is 2 parts.

1) Can any bulb with a wattage that low 40-60 do any kind of damage to these kinds of statues from the little bit of heat they generate?
In my case my middle 2 shelves are 24" tall, and some of the statues that will go in the 24" section will be about 5-6 inches from the bulbs.

2) Can any bulb with this wattage cause any paint to fade? I know direct SUNLIGHT over time will fade the color, but not sure about bulbs and the different indoor lighting types.

Can anyone thta knows how this works go into the details a little better?

Thanks!

I wanted to revisit this thread because I had no replies. So basically I'm getting paranoid that the 60 watt bulbs in my display are generating too much heat to be just a few inches away from my statues. I know very very little about LED lighting so I'm just going to ask a stupid question very likely.

Since my can lights have sockets made for typical lightbulbs, do LED bulbs fit in these socket types or is it a completely different thing?

If they do work with conventional sockets can anyone suggest a brand, size, link to one you recommend?

Are LEDs able to work with dimmer switches?
Are they truly more energy efficient?

Mainly I'd like to simply feel comfortable that I can light up my shelf and not have to worry that I'm ruinig my pieces.

Can anyone shed some info on how this works? Any help would be appreciated.

honestly i wouldn't use regular incandescent bulbs. they generate heat and that is a bad thing. popular LED's for lighting collectibles usually come in a puck or a strip form with it's own plug. i don't know if a dimmer would work for them. a dimmer is proabbly not necessary cuz LEDs are a different type of light and they are not as "blinding" as a regular bulb. i hope that makes sense.

i have a case with small flourescent lights which cast a decent light without being quite as intense as LEDs. No heat problem with 'em. Don't know if they'd work with dimmers, probably not.

Went by home depot to do some window shopping and their led bulbs are $25 each, I knew they weren't cheap but I expected 7-10 each. Is this average or am I shopping the wrong store?

I paid $50 for 4 LED light strips. Yes, they're not cheap but I wouldnt risk using the canned lights. I was originally using those but I would put my hand under the lights and I can feel the heat specially as you move closer to the light. I would get paranoid everytime I turn on the lights as I feel everytime I use it I may slowly damage the paint on my figures so for peace of mind, the LED lights are worth it. You can touch the strips and cant feel the heat at all. I turn them on everytime I come home and I leave them on all night. I think they're worth it.

Plus I like the way they luminate also, they're more whitish bright. When it was the canned lights, theyre were sorta yellowish...so as an added feature, the LEDs are more pleasant to the eyes.

But can I assume the led bulbs are going to be the same end results as the led strips? At this point I already have the canned fixtures, so it sounds like my best bet is led bulbs in the canned fixtures.

Again, my concern is just like yours was, keeping heat off my statues.

It might be the same, it just maybe one maybe brighter than the other depending on how many LEDs are in there. My experience with LED, it seems the strip was brighter than the round ones. When I was using the round ones, it also depends on how many LED are in it. Example, one brand had 8 whereas another brand may have 12 in there. But to be fair though, the round ones I was using was battery operated. So that probably has a lot to do with it.
I think as long as you go with any LEDs, you'll be fine.

Back