Reconsidering how I order stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
Tonight I've done something that I've never done before....

I cancelled a SS HT Preorder and ordered from an online retailer. Actually, it was two figures, IM MK IV and War Machine. Going to end up saving me about $40.

And I couldn't even order from my local SS distributor, because the 9% tax kills any savings I would have by ordering through a distributor. We're talking almost $30 in tax on two figures.

As the more expensive these figures get, I have to do what I can to save on $$$.

I don't mean to take away from Sideshow's awesome customer service or no penalty cancellation and easy return policy, the reward point system, they have always done me very well in the past. But I'm beginning to utilize some of the other options that I have if it will save me $20+ a figure.

What is everyone else doing?

I've been doing the same thing for a while now. More and more, I don't even bother pre-ordering from Sideshow and I just get what I want from a retailer or ebay for cheaper.

The economy hasn't improved from where I'm sitting and Sideshow's prices keep climbing, so I'm doing whatever I can to support my habit without breaking the bank.

I usually buy HT figures from online retailers and have not had any problems. Places like Alter Ego and Big Bad Toy Store have excellent customer service and I totally trust them.

I order exclusive statues through Sideshow and if a Hot Toys exclusive figure like the Guardian Predator or one that comes with a really cool extra accessory like the Predator 1 comes out, I'll go with Sideshow for those as well.

I only use SS for ordering EX's. Reg orders I get through AE or Ebay. I know SS has great customer service when it comes to issues but so does AE. eg. my T-800 came with a paint mark on it's jacket and AE took care of it with no problem. SS is shipping them a replacement and they're sending it on to me. I'm all for saving money collecting when & wherever I can.

Using feeBay when I can -- only if good deals are present. Otherwise, I go to Google product search and sort the items by lowest to highest price.

Tonight I've done something that I've never done before....

I cancelled a SS HT Preorder and ordered from an online retailer. Actually, it was two figures, IM MK IV and War Machine. Going to end up saving me about $40.

And I couldn't even order from my local SS distributor, because the 9% tax kills any savings I would have by ordering through a distributor. We're talking almost $30 in tax on two figures.

As the more expensive these figures get, I have to do what I can to save on $$$.

I don't mean to take away from Sideshow's awesome customer service or no penalty cancellation and easy return policy, the reward point system, they have always done me very well in the past. But I'm beginning to utilize some of the other options that I have if it will save me $20+ a figure.

I really should start doing this too though I'm more leary of it. And I have changed my mind of some things and have cancelled and you can't do that with most online retailers. Plus I had already earned enough SS reward points to get my Jack Sparrow PF for free with points to spare. Not sure how it's all gonna work out in the long run.

I ordered 4 things tonight from SS. FOUR! I should be shot! :lol

unless its an exclusive, i don't order from SSC.

And typically I just wait until its on sale somewhere like goHastings. I can't afford to regularly pay $100+ for figures.

I order from SS unless I can't get it from them.

For me it's not an issue of trying to save $10, I either can afford it or it's completely out of the question. And it's so easy to cancel orders it's nice to be able to order from them.

I really should start doing this too though I'm more leary of it. And I have changed my mind of some things and have cancelled and you can't do that with most online retailers. Plus I had already earned enough SS reward points to get my Jack Sparrow PF for free with points to spare. Not sure how it's all gonna work out in the long run.

I ordered 4 things tonight from SS. FOUR! I should be shot! :lol

You might want to consider BigBadToyStore. They're a little cheaper than Sideshow and they don't charge any cancellation fees and the cancellation process is easier than Sideshow's in my opinion. You can preorder pretty much anything through them and change your mind before it ships out. Their customer service is top notch as well

Currently the only orders I have with SS are exclusive PF's and even then the exclusive piece has to be worth it. Living in Cali ordering from SS has become too much of a burden with crazy shipping fees and taxes, like many have stated I can't continue to pay those fees every time I buy something from SS.

I've started buying from BBTS too. The savings on the taxes alone are worth it. I just got my DX Batman from them today, Mech test Tony arrives on Monday and after that I have 5 more HT orders with them.

Because ssc's prices keep climbing I just don't buy as much. I canceled 2 things already this year. I wont be getting anything else either. Just the Throne. I can't afford their prices. If they come out with something I 'must' have then I may get it elsewhere for the savings. Depending on what the ex version comes with. But I am not interested in ex versions with an extra book, or whatever. When it's an extra head, that is what makes it worth buying. But again I say, the prices are climbing but my pay check is not. So I can't afford ssc.

Plus I had already earned enough SS reward points to get my Jack Sparrow PF for free with points to spare. Not sure how it's all gonna work out in the long run.

This is the only reason why I stay ordering with SS, is because of their reward point system, otherwise I would be ordering elsewhere...

Currently the only orders I have with SS are exclusive PF's and even then the exclusive piece has to be worth it. Living in Cali ordering from SS has become too much of a burden with crazy shipping fees and taxes, like many have stated I can't continue to pay those fees every time I buy something from SS.

I've started buying from BBTS too. The savings on the taxes alone are worth it. I just got my DX Batman from them today, Mech test Tony arrives on Monday and after that I have 5 more HT orders with them.

:lecture

Since I moved to California,
unfortunately buying directly from Sideshow has become almost impossible... between shipping and taxes I end up paying around $20-$40.00 more per figure than from my local HT distributor or Online stores...

i've been buying more stuff from BBTS lately. they are one state over from me. Prices are cheaper than SS and so is shipping. plus they don't make me sign for stuff like sideshow. shipping prices are higher with the signing option. why should i pay for a service i don't even want? gotta save money where i can. the economy isn't getting better. i also stopped buying from the vending machines at work. i calculated that i spend over $40 a month in vending machines. that is a lot. every 3 months i'd have enough to buy a Gi Joe figure.

Back