Live action Blue Beetle show/test images

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment's recently appointed Chief Creative Officer, seems to be very excited on his Twitter Account this morning about some developments for the DC Comics character the Blue Beetle, specifically the newest incarnation of the long-running character who first appeared way back in 1939 in "Mystery Men Comics" #1. In recent years, the scarab suit has been worn by teenager Jaime Reyes after Ted Kord, the Silver Age Blue Beetle, was murdered by Maxwell Lord.

According to Johns, it is the Reyes character that would be featured in a live action show, having been introduced on the animated "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" last year with plans to play a larger part on the show. The first stage of development in a live action show are recent tests to replicate how Reyes might activate his suit from the magical scarab that attached itself to his spine after Kord's death.

As Johns says on his Twitter feed:

"BLUE BEETLE NEWS from DCE!! We have a live-action test of Jaime Reyes' scarab activating his suit. It. Is. Awesome."

and

"Blue Beetle's going to appear in most of the Brave and the Bold's this year and we're hoping to develop a live-action show. Fingers crossed!"

and

"If I can break it out of the vault, I'll bring it to SDCC. LIVE ACTION BLUE BEETLE!!"

Fans of one of the newest and youngest DC Comics characters certainly should be interested in the company's latest possible foray into live action television, following the success and popularity of "Smallville" and lesser success of "Birds of Prey." Who knows whether Johns will indeed be able to show those suit tests at Comic-Con this year and where that footage might show up if he does, but let us know what you think of a possible live action television show featuring Reyes as the Blue Beetle.

Images from a special effects test for a live-action "Blue Beetle" have debuted online, courtesy of DC Comics' Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns.

Johns just updated his official blog with the images below and the following note:

"I feel very fortunate to have been a part of Blue Beetle’s introduction way back in INFINITE CRISIS. I’ve said it before, but thanks to the BLUE BEETLE series launched by Keith Giffen and John Rogers with a great design by Cully Hamner, Jaime Reyes rocks. Great character, great story, great look. He’s already appeared in animation, had action figures and right now he’s on my computer in live-action glory. I have an early special effects test that has been floating around of what his armored scarab-suit could look like. This isn’t final. This isn’t greenlit. It’s only a test that was done. We still have a long way to go to see if we can get this off the ground and a lot of people to jump on board…but check out some stills."

Johns also says that the footage will be shown in full at this year's Comic-Con.

See the images below and click here to read John's full post.

beetle1a.jpg

beetle2a.jpg

beetle3a.jpg

beetle4a.jpg

beetle5a.jpg

Last edited:
This bums me out, because Ted Kord was, for awhile, my favorite comic book character. And now, he's been replaced by this other character that gets a cartoon incarnation, all kinds of toys, and a live action show potentially. Oh, well. It isn't like Kord would have ever had any of those things had he stayed alive.

I hope its not my age that makes me think this but I want Ted. But the "spine scarab" Blue Beetle might work to. Guess I'll just have to wait & see.

I'd say Ted will be gone for a while, if not forever. Blackest Night/Brightest Day would have been a great chance to bring him back, but they didn't. I think killing him off made Booster grow up and he might become a child again if they brought Ted back.

But I have to say that CGI looks horrible. Like Sci-fi channel work.

well for pete sakes! did the people not say its just a test shot. did they not say its just a rough FX rendering. Boy, I thought I was the cynical one lol.

Well, we all know CGI can do just about anything so there really is no need to test if they can do this. They need to test if they can do this and have it look good, which these test shots aren't.

well if thats gonna be the attitude of the collector community the studios could just as easy not show anything. this is part of a pitch. there's still no gaurantee (god I hate spelling that word), this will make it to tv. I'd even say that this is more so to test the fan base of BB.

Now I will agree that with this being a tv show the FX wont improve by leaps & bounds. But like I said.......its only a tv show, not a movie.

I can understand people being disappointed that it's not Kord, but Jaime is a great character, and his comic is absolutely terrific! Hope they won't mess this up should it happen, but the design for the suit already looks spot on.

Well, we all know CGI can do just about anything so there really is no need to test if they can do this. They need to test if they can do this and have it look good, which these test shots aren't.

There are about a million reasons to do a test reel. The biggest one is that the bean counters need something to look at.

I can understand people being disappointed that it's not Kord, but Jaime is a great character, and his comic is absolutely terrific! Hope they won't mess this up should it happen, but the design for the suit already looks spot on.

I'm a big Ted fan (JLI FTW!) but I've been thinking about giving the new BB a try. I don't actually know anyone who reads it so your opinion is encouraging.

Back