Artist proof confusion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freak_Zombie

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi, my bad if I posted this in the wrong section, but I was wondering are artists proof pieces that bad? Cause I did a search in this and another forum and some are of the opinion that an artist proof is valued less because there is no number underneath the statue/bust?

Cause I just bought an artist proof piece and while I didn't pay a single cent extra I'd be disappointed if its worth much less because there is no run number.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm still a noob at collecting statues and the only reason I pick the piece up was cause it was the only one available and it just so happened to be an artist proof piece. Although I would probably never sell it cause I love it so, it would be nice to know that it isn't worth less I guess. :)

Appreciate the input!

some APs from companies are just leftover's out side of the edition in case of breakages, then sold to collectors for aftermarket prices :rolleyes2

Hmmm any idea when it comes to palisades products? Haven't really answered my question though.

If one had to choose between an AP product and a normal run number, which would be the advisable choice? Just in case I run into a similar position in the future. (Lets say I was able to get both at the same price)

Hmmm any idea when it comes to palisades products? Haven't really answered my question though.

If one had to choose between an AP product and a normal run number, which would be the advisable choice? Just in case I run into a similar position in the future. (Lets say I was able to get both at the same price)

As far as i know the AP's for Palisades had better paint apps for they were shown at toy conventions and used for photo shoots.These are more likely to have damage as they were handled alot more.
As for other companies i don't really know:dunno

I had chances to get Artist Proof plaques for both Master Replicas AT-AT and Stormtrooper blaster replicas. I passed on both. I always prefer a number on a collectible, it makes it more unique.

I had chances to get Artist Proof plaques for both Master Replicas AT-AT and Stormtrooper blaster replicas. I passed on both. I always prefer a number on a collectible, it makes it more unique.

My bad, I'm confused. Lets say there are 500 pieces, so if you had a numbered piece, 499 other pieces would have numbers on it too. But with artist proof only 5 (maybe?) exists with those words on them. Wouldn't that be more unique? Only 5 pieces do not have a number on it as opposed to 500 others that do?

Yes, I'm not quite sure how the logic would ever work that an AP is less rare than a regular run. Some AP's are actually numbered as well, some just say 'AP', and some have nothing on the bottom. If you're looking for 'rare', getting a bust from a series that is NOT numbered when the entire regular series is, is actually more rare. If you're looking for something that fewer people have, then that's it.

Now, if you're worried about what's more 'valuable', then that's a crap shoot.

Well, I would say in some cases they are sweeter to own. I have #1 of only 3 APs of the stooped B-pose Alien from Marmit and it is signed by the artist as well, where the regular run was not. That I would consider much more rare and desireable than one of the regular run of 200.

My bad, I'm confused. Lets say there are 500 pieces, so if you had a numbered piece, 499 other pieces would have numbers on it too. But with artist proof only 5 (maybe?) exists with those words on them. Wouldn't that be more unique? Only 5 pieces do not have a number on it as opposed to 500 others that do?

The 5 artists proofs are identical to each other (unless numbered themselves), but the numbered pieces are always unique - if there is a double then there is a problem...

There are people who collect AP and low numbers only. I never cared for such things. I prefer having a numbered piece compared to a non-numbered one: for example the eFX Stormtrooper helmet which is numbered, and SS 1:1 Endoskull bust which is not. If I'd ever had to choose a number for my collectibles it wouldn't be #1, but something related to my own life.

Well, I would say in some cases they are sweeter to own. I have #1 of only 3 APs of the stooped B-pose Alien from Marmit and it is signed by the artist as well, where the regular run was not. That I would consider much more rare and desireable than one of the regular run of 200.

That is a totally different story.

okaaay...I'm still kinda confused, simply put, if I get a ap piece (it was my only option at that time) would it be worth less than a regular numbered vers?

I'm fine if its worth more or the same as the regular numbers vers, but it would be disappointing if its worth less. :(

It seems to me with all the "negativity" towards an artist proof piece I probably got screwed huh?

Traditionally APs are considered more valuable. The perception is usually that they may be higher quality since the term "artist's proof" was originally intended to be sent to the original artist for their approval of the production piece.

I think most collectors wouldn't NOT buy something because it was an AP and most would prefer it.

Traditionally APs are considered more valuable. The perception is usually that they may be higher quality since the term "artist's proof" was originally intended to be sent to the original artist for their approval of the production piece.

I think most collectors wouldn't NOT buy something because it was an AP and most would prefer it.

That was always my take on it. Basically that an AP is something special that was not offered to just anybody.

When talking about Master Replicas of eFX artist proof prop replicas then you just get a different plaque, the collectible itself is totally identical to the numbered one.

Wow, such different schools of thought. So is it safe to assume that an AP piece would NOT have a lesser value, if anything it MIGHT even be worth more?

Generally speaking, yes.

And when I refer to pieces that have nothing on the bottom, I don't mean a blank for the number. I mean NOTHING - no logo, no numbering, nothing printed at all. These are generally much closer to the original concept of an artist proof. Of course, theya re also easier to forge, but that's part of the danger of pre-production collecting.

This thread might help you see other opinions on this matter

Seems like a group of people unhappy that Aps are being sold for more and are getting away with it. haha. :yess: Guess that answers my question then, in terms of value its either exactly the same or worth more to a number of people. Thanks mate!

does zero count as a number ?

DSCN3687.jpg

DSCN3693.jpg

DSCN3694-1.jpg

That was my understanding as well. I did get a Bella Lugosi Dracula colour PF artist proof from Andy Bergholtz's personal collection, signed by the man himself and the paint apps are some of the best I have ever seen on a PF to date. Even the more recent stuff, which has me in a conundrum (don't know what the word means but I can spell it and it seems to go with what I want to say, if not I apologize) since you think the work and pieces would evolve. It was released in 2005. One of my favorite pieces I own. Thanks again Andy. He's being well taken care of you talented dude.

Quite often an 'artist's proof' is simply an excuse to make recasts of something (example: the recent prevalence of AP SSW Balrogs on Ebay).

Besides, when you have an artist's proof there's no way to ever prove that it's real, is there?

Back