Are you a member at a Disney devoted forum?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm interested in maybe cross-promoting at Disney forums - are any of you members of more Disney-centric forums or websites?

I'm at wdwmagic, but I'm admittedly more of a reader than a daily, active participator, not unlike here. I get some good info (especially since it's more WDW than DL), if it's something I feel that my comment may benefit, I'll chime in. Their "Collectible" Forum is weak though, very pin heavy. But everyone seems pleasant enough and there certainly is an opportunity there.

Dave,
I'm a member here:
https://disneyshauntedmansion.yuku.com/
but only lurk...

haunted_mansion_gargoyles.gif

There seems to be a general disinterest in the Premium Formats from the regular Disney collectors. Is it too outside what they're used to? Or is it something else?

I wish I knew Dave. While I've been a bit of a Disney animated fan for many many years, I've never really collected any items.
Had a bit of a look on ebay, etc at some of the WDCC statues, which while nice enough, I was never motivated enough to buy any.

Even before the Disney PF line was announced, I always thought that the only way to really bring Disney characters to life in 3D would be as a PF. Done right, it just needs the real cloth to capture the flow and movement of animated characters and the Evil Queen PF proves that I was right.

While Dusty says it's only been 18 months, I've waited years for this, which is why I really want the princess line to start sooner rather then later, as Belle, etc was what I wanted most from a Disney PF line.

So maybe it's the same for the regular Disney collectors or maybe PF's are just something they have no experience with and can't get there heads around, having no experience with anything other then 7" tall sculpted only WDCC items.

So I still maintain the same train of thought, bring out the heavy hitters, make Belle, Ariel, Jasmine, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Tinker Bell and even Mickey from Fantasia, etc. Throw in a couple of matching sets, The Beast with Belle, Aladdin with Jasmine and clearly the Evil Queen with Snow White and then show these at places that the regular collectors can see them in person (the theme parks being an obvious choice).

All in all, I just refuse to believe that their isn't a market out their and that the animated character PF's won't sell.

I'm a member of Disboards, which is mostly theme park related. I rarely post but my wife is pretty active there.

Maybe a lot of Dis collectors are just unaware. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know anything about SSC products. The only place I can think of off the top of my head where I've seen SSC banners is aintitcool (I think).

I'm a member of Disboards, which is mostly theme park related. I rarely post but my wife is pretty active there.

Maybe a lot of Dis collectors are just unaware. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know anything about SSC products. The only place I can think of off the top of my head where I've seen SSC banners is aintitcool (I think).

Right, Disney fans are a different market than the traditional Sideshow fan, but so were LotR fans at one time.

But in Micechat there wasn't a single mention of any Sideshow product and when I did post about it, got no interest at all.

Hey Dave,

I think another issue might be the over saturation of Disney products in the market. I think the average Disney fan cannot afford to pick up another line, especially at this high price point. I've seen the WDCC secondary market sink like a stone, and they sculpt some pretty cool stuff. Even if a Disney fan might happen to come across the Sideshow series, chances are they would pass due to unfamiliarity with the brand. Even top guns like Enesco and Hallmark find the Disney brand a challenge.

There seems to be a general disinterest in the Premium Formats from the regular Disney collectors. Is it too outside what they're used to? Or is it something else?

I've been on the two delphi forums which focus on the Walt Disney Classics Collection for over 10 years. Again, here are the links:
https://forums.delphiforums.com/WDCC/start
https://forums.delphiforums.com/disneydish/
There are at least 4 of us there that have bought the PF Evil Queen. I know at least 3 of us come on Sideshow Freaks. I can tell you that as a collector of Disney WDCC, Lenox, Armani, Goebel, Jim Shore, etc. there is nothing that unusual about the SS PFs that they would be considered outside the interests of your typical Disney collector. By the way, micechat is more of a theme park oriented Disney message board as opposed to a Disney collector message board. micechat does have areas for collectors but that is not the primary focus there.

I can tell you that in general Disney figurine collecting is way way down from what it used to be. 10 years ago it was common for a WDCC limited edition to be 5,000 to 7,500. Now a limited edition is 500 to 750. The bad economy has hit Disney figurine collecting big time. Goebel, Armani and Harmony Kingdom are no longer making Disney figurines. WDCC has reduced its new yearly releases by 50% or more. It is this very depressed Disney market that Sideshow has entered.

Back