Next Angel figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very soon I hope, I'm dying to see what's next. I'd be really surprised if it's not Cordy.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Very soon I hope, I'm dying to see what's next. I'd be really surprised if it's not Cordy.

Given Sideshow's [mis]handling of the Buffy line, I'd be really surprised if it is Cordy. If that's any precedent then we'll have to wait through three minor demons who have trouble selling editions of 500 or 1000, before we see anyone wothwhile. :monkey3

Personally, I'd love for Lorne to be next. He's not a minor demon, he's a major character.

Last edited:
Mishandling is a relative term. Buffy is still shipping new figures whereas Bond, Universal Monsters, PotA, Military and other lines are not. So I don't think they've mishandled the line at all. Adding Angel the series to the mix can only help the line(s).

But we could see Cordy in the Buffy line before we see her in the Angel line. Personally I'm more interested in demons than boring humans, no matter how significant they are.

I'm the opposite. I have to form an attachment to the characters in order to become a real fan of something - a fan who would collect these figures. No matter how cool a demon character could look, I'll prefer a Giles (for example) over it any day of the the week because he's one of the characters I care about on the show. They're not boring to me, they're the reason I'm a Buffy fan in the first place.

I think there's been a lot of demons and variants. I don't mind seeing them regardless of whether I buy them or not (after all, I would buy a period Darla though not any other version), but I think core characters should be a given.

It's funny, but I just don't like the "vamp" faces particularly. I have some of them that I use for bashes, but I really like to see the actors faces rather than the appliances when they make the principals like Darla or Spike etc..
And you'd think it would almost have to be Cordy. It's so obvious to me I'm sure it will be another character because I'm wrong 3 out of 5 times in the guessing games.

Darklord Dave said:
Personally I'm more interested in demons than boring humans, no matter how significant they are.

That's a common sentiment among general Sideshow collectors, as opposed to Buffy-specific collectors. Problem is, the edition sizes and slow sales for demon figures like Der Kindestod and Vamp Buffy show that they're not such attractive items for us numerous Buffycentrics who drive sales for the line--and in fact the lack of so many core humans is the common reason cited on Buffy boards for why more fans don't collect the Sideshow line. Sales of every human-faced character with a good likeness have been mucho strong, and getting more human characters out there would attract hordes more of the numerous Buffy collectors who've been put off by lack of core characters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for demons They look cool. :cool: But, the right strategy to expand interest in the line is to attract more Buffyphiles by pushing a variety of core humans, with demons in between. Right now, there are too many demon releases and Buff/Spike/Angel retreads and too few new human character releases to keep Buffy fans interested *and* pull new ones in. Even Dawn, arguably the most minor Scooby, would easily and more briskly outsell Der Kindestod and Vamp Buffy combined. Even I'm becoming disenchanted with the line's direction and lack of human progress, and I'm usually excited about everything Bufftastic.

Getting more Scoobies out there would increase interest in the line more than Der Kindestod and D'Hoffryn and other demons ever will. They're great figures. But they should be sandwiched between new core character releases, not made the bulk of recent figures. Just my opinion though...

I like what Sideshow is doing. I like the variety. That's why I stoped buying the DST figures(except deluxe). Im glad Sideshow is making Demons.

Sales of every human-faced character with a good likeness have been mucho strong,

Then why is Oz still instock? Xander too. :)

Aerosmith said:
Then why is Oz still instock? Xander too. :)

Because their edition sizes are *8 times* larger than Der Kindestod's in the case of Oz, and *6.5 times* larger in the case of Xander (adding the excl. and regular edition sizes together). D'Hoffryn has a similarly several-times-smaller edition size and, despite the great sculpt, isn't sold out on preorder yet. Vampire Buffy is arguably the best sculpt in the whole line, and it has arguably the best exclusive accessory, but after many months of availability the exclusive edition of 750 hasn't sold out.

The numbers speak loudly. Vamp Darla and Druslla did sell well and quickly, but that's a special case because they're fan favorite recurring characters in both Buffy and Angel, not just demons. Plus they're kinda sexy. :naughty

Again, I'm glad you and others enjoy the demons so much. I like them too--but not to the extent that they've been emphasized, pushng aside core character releases. The most frequent reason cited on Buffy boards as to why so many fans collect all manner of other merchandise *except* Sideshow figures, is lack of major characters. I think it's clear that interest in the line would grow hugely if we had more human releases with decent sculpts, whereas history proves that minor demons (and ugly human sculpts) sell slowly and in small quantities, failing to grow interest in the line.

Again, this is just my opinion based on observation of sales, and reaction to the Sideshow line on Buffy boards. Sideshow's choices may be aimed at growing outside interest in the Buffy line from more general collectors, but in so doing they're alienating part of a core constituency and failing to draw in the fence-sitters. But hey, what do I know; I just think we need to see more along the lines of OMWF Tara, WttH Giles, Selfless Anya, Him Dawn, or even Grave [Dark Witch] Willow (to give an acceptable Willow sculpt), in between each demon release. I think that's a more reasonable, balanced, and sustainable approach than the demon-heavy and retread-heavy release schedule we've gotten.

I know everybody gets a little bummed out when the next figure announced isn't Giles or Cordy, but I have a question about the whole human/demon ratio. Do demon characters, or more specifically villians, significantly outnumber the human hero characters made?

I count Angel and Spike, in all their guises, as hero pieces, so I guess I don't see the disparity as much. I can't wait to get Giles, Cordy, Gunn, Fred, Tara et al, but if they mix two demon or villians in between each main character, I don't see that as being such a bad thing.

Seaward said:
I know everybody gets a little bummed out when the next figure announced isn't Giles or Cordy...

I'm a glass half full kind of guy so instead of being sad when the next figure isn't Giles or Cordy, I'm happy that it's not Riley. :D

Awww, where's the "Riley love"? Don't be hatin' on Riley, he wasn't really a bad character, he was just written that way! :wacky

I think the demons sell relatively poorly because the ones chosen really the most boring ones visually. D'Hoffryn, the Master, der Kinderstod are importantish characters(well 2 out of the 3 are) but I don't see many who aren't completists ordering them.

If Sideshow made the cooler demons, like Adam, demon Giles, the Judge, or Kulak here:
mbu-kulak.jpg

Then I think their sales would improve as people who aren't Buffy fans might buy one because it's a cool looking figure.

Also the lack of availability of a good Buffy figure discourages newbies(like me) from picking up the villains and supporting characters. The only Buffy figure easily available is the wretched Prophecy Girl one. If Sideshow made a new sculpted hair Buffy that isn't a vampire or cavegirl or whatnot, then there'd be some movement on the backstock of the villains and supporting cast.

A belated "Welcome to the Sideshow Freaks Hellmouth," Sergei. :wave Good to have you aboard!

The notion that the Buffy line favors minor demons and monsters to the deficit of key, human characters is a popular one, but in my opinion, groundless.

With respect to your right to advance that theory, Sergei, you may want to rethink your argument.

First you state:
Sales of every human-faced character with a good likeness have been mucho strong, and getting more human characters out there would attract hordes more of the numerous Buffy collectors who've been put off by lack of core characters.
Then, in response to Aerosmith's question about Oz and Xander:
Because their edition sizes are *8 times* larger than Der Kindestod's in the case of Oz, and *6.5 times* larger in the case of Xander (adding the excl. and regular edition sizes together). D'Hoffryn has a similarly several-times-smaller edition size and, despite the great sculpt, isn't sold out on preorder yet.
Oz and Xander both boast excellent likenesses and are two of the Buffyverse's most endeared characters. Certainly they must be at least 8- to 10-times more popular among the "hordes" of hardcore Buffistas who are clamoring for more Scoobies. If these guys can't pull in the numbers, a character like Dawn doesn't have a chance.

Further, if you classify Vamps Drusilla and Darla as "fan-favorite recurring characters in both Buffy and Angel, then you have to also include Vamps Angel, Spike, Willow, The Master, and Werewolf Oz in that category. (Okay. WW Oz never appeared in an episode of Angel.)

So. Where are all these insignificant monsters and demons that are cluttering up the line and "pushing aside the core character releases?" By your definition, I only count two: Der Kinderstod, and D'Hoffryn — and I'm giving you D'Hoffryn simply for the sake of argument.

(And, as far as D'Hoffryn is concerned, actually advertising the availability of the figure by adding a link to it on the Buffy home page on Sideshow's site might be a way to generate a few more sales.)

Regarding human characters, Giles is certainly long overdue, and I'd like to see Anya, a new Faith, and every variation of Willow imaginable. In addition, three valid incarnations of our titular heroine still remain: Wishverse Buffy, Primeval Buffy, and "Talking" BuffyBot. And as bluesparrow points out, a new, generic Buffy is always a good idea. Finally, how can any Buffy collection ever be complete without a figure of the gal who started the ball rolling: The first Slayer, the Primitive?

Personally, I'll buy any unimportant, inconsequential, nugatory, irrelevant, unessential mickey-mouse Monster of the Week Sideshow wants to throw at me, but I think there are at least six baddies that are legitimate, proper, going-by-the-rules-according-to-Hoyle candidates for figures: Anyanka, Dark Willow, Vampire Xander, Vampire Harmony, the Uber Vamp/Turok-Han, and because he brings the fun in, Sweet. And don't forget that demon in a class by himself, Clem! (Okay, that's seven.)

And the Judge, Fyarl Demon Giles, Alcathla, Olaf the Troll, Kakistos, Mr. Trick, Kulak, Razor the Hellion Leader, Ken and his Demon Guards, Luke, Gnarl Demon, Stewart Burns, Battle-Damaged Ted(!), Toth, Glarghk Guhl Kashmas Demon, Jenny "Eyghon" Calendar, Lyle and Tecktor Gorch, Gachnar, The Gentlemen's Goons, and last, but never least, Kathy "Mok'takar Demon" Newman!

But to get back on topic, the next Angel figures will be: Lorne and Cordelia.

cryrsvl.jpg

Hey Frankenfan, where ya been? Good to see you are in fine form.

I love monsters. There's that imagination thing going on. Always unusual, never dull.

I don't mind demons and monsters so log as it's not at the expense of getting the main characters in a timely manner. I don't want Wes or Gunn becoming the Giles of the Angel line.

Back