Detolf Locks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danald

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I have a 1 year old boy and two 6 year old girls. So far they havent messed with anything inside my Detolfs, but I dont trust thier friends. Does anyone know of any type of locking device that would work on these?

I don't think that Ikea makes any... but you could always check a hardware store to find something that would work.

https://cgi.ebay.com.sg/LOCK-IKEA-GLASS-DETOLF-DISPLAY-CABINET-/350339685063

Don't know anything about the product or seller - the link is all I know.

They look pretty ugly, but I don't think there's many options available. Looks like they are pretty reverseable when the kids are older (or moved out of home - lol)

I'd be more worried about the kids shaking the cabinet if they are trying to open the door.

l know what you can do,it would be simple except one problem,you would have to get a hole cut in the glass,and there are small round key locks you can buy,l have some and you fit that in the hole on the glass and there is an arm on the back of the lock so when you turn the key to lock it it moves the arm and the arm would go behind on of the frame rods so then if you were to try and open the door the little lock arm would hit the metal rod frame and the door would not open.this would work very well but l dont think you can get a hole cut in the glass not sure.l have used these locks on steel safes ive made in the past and they work perfect for that.

That would be the best looking option - maybe have a look in the hardware store for a suitable lock & talk to a glazier about the hole.

I don't know about detolf's, but if the glass is toughened you can't cut or drill it - it just shatters. If it's float or laminated glass you can get a hole cut, no worries.

I have a 1 year old boy and two 6 year old girls. So far they havent messed with anything inside my Detolfs, but I dont trust thier friends. Does anyone know of any type of locking device that would work on these?

I just use sellotape top and bottom to keep my 2 year old out. Works a treat.

https://cgi.ebay.com.sg/LOCK-IKEA-GLASS-DETOLF-DISPLAY-CABINET-/350339685063

Don't know anything about the product or seller - the link is all I know.

They look pretty ugly, but I don't think there's many options available. Looks like they are pretty reverseable when the kids are older (or moved out of home - lol)

I'd be more worried about the kids shaking the cabinet if they are trying to open the door.

Everyone seems to have skimmed over these...they look great! Think I may pick up a few for future use.

My idea was to turn .... 180° with detolf ...
the door' s side against the wall ...
It was the best protection with children :) and it's free :hi5:

sw1se7.jpg

My idea was to turn .... 180° with detolf ...
the door' s side against the wall ...
It was the best protection with children :) and it's free :hi5:

sw1se7.jpg

Haha, nicely done! I still haven't been able to make the trek to an IKEA, but how easy/hard is it to move the detolf back out to readjust the figures?

ingenious yet so simple and elegant....... now if I could only turn my bestas.........

Back