1:1 EFX Stormtrooper helmet any good?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerdurden

Super Freak
Reaction score
i was thinking of getting the precision cast replica stormtrooper helmet by efx. to my knowledge, this is essentially the same thing as the master replicas version, with a few minor detailing differences.

relatively speaking, it IS pretty cheap. so i'm not expecting a perfectly screen-accurate prop. what i'd like to know is if this piece is any good in terms of build quality, paint apps, etc.

any input would be welcome. :)

stormtrooperhelm1.jpg

stormtrooperhelm2.jpg

Bryan @ eFX said the new Precision Cast Stormtrooper helmet will be very similar to the older Master Replicas Collector's Edition UK Stormtrooper helmet.

Differences in Master Replicas (eFX) Stormtrooper 1:1 helmet

MR/eFX Limited Edition Helmet: (eFX is exactly like this one but just 500 made)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/hrSdBMd6X3k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/hrSdBMd6X3k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Suggest Retail Price: $399
Version: "Hero"
Edition Size: 2,500 (only 1,048 made by MR and 500 by eFX)
Geometry: Asymmetrical (screen accurate)
Lens: Bubble Lens (Green and Grey)*
Material: Hand Laid Fiberglass
Interior: Fully lined and padded
Plaque: Yes
Stand: Yes

Collector's Edition Helmet:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/3LtsM1fDzuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/3LtsM1fDzuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Suggested Retail Price: $119 (the Precision Cast version will be a bit more expensive)
Version: "Stunt"
Edition Size: Open Edition
Geometry: Symmetrical (idealized)
Lens: Flat-Green
Material: Injection molded ABS
Interior: PU Foam Pad on Crown
Plaque: No
Stand: No

Even more info on these helmets here on the best SW helmet site:

https://www.starwarshelmets.com/eFX Collectibles.htm

I've Pre-Orderd the TESB version two days ago for €150,- (including shipping)
EFX02101008_m.jpg

Don't know if this is a good price for the piece (that should ship in August)

I couldn't find any good info about this piece either... :(

I've Pre-Orderd the TESB version two days ago for €150,- (including shipping)
EFX02101008_m.jpg

Don't know if this is a good price for the piece (that should ship in August)

I couldn't find any good info about this piece either... :(

this efx is exactly the same as the master replica version all the way down to the lens. I have one and I am very happy with it cos is a affordable alternative for costuming. Pieces are definitely made very different from the Limited edition version. If anyone is interested... I'll make a video review of the helmet

hey, thanks very much for your helpful and constructive feedback, jkno, xil3f and darth mitchell!

i am of course aware that the efx stunt helmet isn't out yet, but just wanted any available info on it.

seems like the quality won't be too bad if it's anything like the previous efx. it's a bummer that this version won't have a display stand though.

jkno: how is the paint finishing on yours? is it smooth and glossy?

this efx is exactly the same as the master replica version all the way down to the lens. I have one and I am very happy with it cos is a affordable alternative for costuming. Pieces are definitely made very different from the Limited edition version. If anyone is interested... I'll make a video review of the helmet

i'm definitely interested, toys210. let's see it! :)

jkno: how is the paint finishing on yours? is it smooth and glossy?

It is a really cool replica, I have both the eFX LE Stormtrooper helmet and the MR CE Stormtrooper helmet and I like them both. They are different and maybe that's why I like them so much. The CE is very glossy indeed, in the 2 youtube videos above there are my own replicas. For the CE I used a towel holder as stand - look at the last shots in the youtube vid. And I also had made a custom plaque for it.

I think the only gripe about the MR CE was the seam below the frown. However, I've seen a few collectors fill in the seam and it looks pretty good. At the price point, you will not find a better Stormtrooper helmet. A few of my friends have them and love 'em. I have the MR LE, the MR Shadow LE and the eFX LE. I've been looking for a second MR Shadow, but the eFX budget version just might do the trick. I plan on buying a few eFX percision cast helmets as gifts, but I'm going to hold out for the eFX Idealised Hero for myself. Again, for the price, the percision cast will be a damn fine helmet.

It is a really cool replica, I have both the eFX LE Stormtrooper helmet and the MR CE Stormtrooper helmet and I like them both. They are different and maybe that's why I like them so much. The CE is very glossy indeed, in the 2 youtube videos above there are my own replicas. For the CE I used a towel holder as stand - look at the last shots in the youtube vid. And I also had made a custom plaque for it.

that's great to hear, man. consider me convinced! gonna put in my pre-order this weekend, heh heh.

I think the only gripe about the MR CE was the seam below the frown. However, I've seen a few collectors fill in the seam and it looks pretty good. At the price point, you will not find a better Stormtrooper helmet. A few of my friends have them and love 'em. I have the MR LE, the MR Shadow LE and the eFX LE. I've been looking for a second MR Shadow, but the eFX budget version just might do the trick. I plan on buying a few eFX percision cast helmets as gifts, but I'm going to hold out for the eFX Idealised Hero for myself. Again, for the price, the percision cast will be a damn fine helmet.

yeah i've heard some complains about the gaping seam lines. there also seems to be a gap between the area where the ear section meets the side of the head.

i don't think the idealized version will be available in my country, so the stunt pcr is prob my best bet. i'm also tempted to get the shadowtrooper helmet but i'm seriously running outta display space!

Here is my Stormtrooper ce edition helmet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS0Aqf8c4oA

thanks for the vid, dude. nice one. couple of questions for u:

1) did the scuff/scratch marks come with the helmet?

2) what did u use to make the lenses? they look much better than the original green ones.

3) have u put it on? if so, how does it feel when worn, snug or loose?

that's great to hear, man. consider me convinced! gonna put in my pre-order this weekend, heh heh.

yeah i've heard some complains about the gaping seam lines. there also seems to be a gap between the area where the ear section meets the side of the head.

i don't think the idealized version will be available in my country, so the stunt pcr is prob my best bet. i'm also tempted to get the shadowtrooper helmet but i'm seriously running outta display space!

thanks for the vid, dude. nice one. couple of questions for u:

1) did the scuff/scratch marks come with the helmet?

2) what did u use to make the lenses? they look much better than the original green ones.

3) have u put it on? if so, how does it feel when worn, snug or loose?

1) no I made those myself, by accident of course
2) the lenses were provided by my mom lol, it was from when she had her eyes dilated during medical and the doctor gave her these temporary flexible sunshades. And the lens can be easily remove as well, they were screwed in from the inside.
3) yes i have. It's very loose since it does not have a proper hard hat lining

if you have more questions, feel free to ask

With the CE it's way easier to troop that with the LE version. Try finding a stand for it and you wil lhave a great helmet. I pre-ordered the Shadow Stormtrooper one.

For the CE I used a towel holder as stand - look at the last shots in the youtube vid. And I also had made a custom plaque for it.

This may be a weird question, but could you show us some pic's from the tower holder? I would like to see how the holder "Hold's" the helmet so I can make one to.

And how did you made the plaque if I may ask?? :monkey3

1) no I made those myself, by accident of course
2) the lenses were provided by my mom lol, it was from when she had her eyes dilated during medical and the doctor gave her these temporary flexible sunshades. And the lens can be easily remove as well, they were screwed in from the inside.
3) yes i have. It's very loose since it does not have a proper hard hat lining

ah, gotcha. thanks, dude. i would expect the helmet to be kinda loose too, based on the shots of the (lack of) inner lining. and the scuff marks look scary, hope they're removable.

This may be a weird question, but could you show us some pic's from the tower holder? I would like to see how the holder "Hold's" the helmet so I can make one to.

i was just about to ask that as well!

thanks for the heads up, jkno. though i've never seen any towel holders that look like yours.

Back