GIJOE: BReak it down for me. Cartoons, comics where do I/ should I begin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jediguy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've loved the gijoe toys since i was a kid. I've always wandered into comic and dvd stores and seen dvds and tonnes of comics from various series.

Honestly where on earth do I start? Is there a more realistic version out there rather than the old cartoonish series

Start with the original Larry Hama written Marvel Comics.

Read Marvel 1-155 (although the last 30-40 issues are all snake eyes and ninja force.)

Read the Marvel Special Missions

Skip anything else.

Pick up free issue 155 1/2 that came out last saturday.

Wait till July for issue 156 and then it will be monthly.

In my opinion, skip the Devils Due (front line, reloaded, World War 3, etc) and skip the IDW stories other than the new 156-on.

Read the IDW Cobra comics for entertainment..good read.

The gijoe mythos really is the Marvel 1-155 and the new 155 1/2 and new 156 and continuing.

You can pick up collected editions of the old Marvel comic on Amazon and eBay. Start with the first one, if you like it, keep going.

I suppose the "Resolute" cartoon series from last year is slightly more "realistic" than the older, 80s cartoon, though not by very much. Just grittier. Comic was a tad more realistic than the old cartoon, I would say, but again, there are so many fantastic elements and ridiculous circumstances that none of these stories are particularly "realistic."

If you want realism, skip GI Joe and check out the History Channel or read an actual historical account of war.

This is sound advice but all the old Marvel comics have been collected in TPBs. Each one collects 10 issues from the old Marvel series, so save your money and pick those up, the G.I. Joe Classics TPBs:

file_67.jpg
file_66.jpg
file_65.jpg
file_64.jpg

file_1_28.jpg
file_1_77.jpg
file_1_106.jpg

They're only up to 7 right now, which is just under halfway, and with Hama coming back onto the series with 155, we can pretend that the IDW and sadly now the "ugh" modern series, never existed.

This is sound advice but all the old Marvel comics have been collected in TPBs. Each one collects 10 issues from the old Marvel series, so save your money and pick those up, the G.I. Joe Classics TPBs:

file_67.jpg
file_66.jpg
file_65.jpg
file_64.jpg

file_1_28.jpg
file_1_77.jpg
file_1_106.jpg

They're only up to 7 right now, which is just under halfway, and with Hama coming back onto the series with 155, we can pretend that the IDW and sadly now the "ugh" modern series, never existed.

Is the IDW stuff still not that great? :dunno

I gave up reading it after about 4 issues. I did read the Chuckles undercover stuff, that was surprisingly pretty good. That was about the extent of what I tried out though.

IMO the top 3 Joe fiction

1. IDW Cobra series. This is all I have ever wanted out of Joe. This series is exactly how I would write it. Cannot throw enough praise out there for this series. They made Croc Master and Crystal Ball cool, how the hell? LOVE IT.

2. Original Marvel series. So many classic stories and a ton of nostalgia. The IDW graphic novels are really good quality, loving them.

3. Resolute. Way too short but brilliant.

The rest of is kind of take or leave it for me these days. Even the original cartoon is kind of hard for me to watch.

Is the IDW stuff still not that great? :dunno

I gave up reading it after about 4 issues. I did read the Chuckles undercover stuff, that was surprisingly pretty good. That was about the extent of what I tried out though.

The first Cobra series was good but they killed of Jinx (while that was a cool aspect, it was a lame character choice). The revamped series blows. I'm giving it and the Origins books until #20 and to date, have either seen not so good rehashed Marvel stories or DDP equivalent fan garbage. Which is surprising and disappointing at the same time given Hama is scripting Origins. So that this point, I'm already prepared to cancel everything at 20, finish picking up the TPBs and begin anew with the 155 continuance from the old Marvel series.

Last edited:
Honestly the continuation from 155 is what I will be buying from now on aswell.

I am going to be cancelling all of my other pulls at my local comic shop.

I think by continuing from 155 it gives Hasbro and IDW a greater opportunity to create new characters that will be openly accepted by boths fans and children alike.

It gives a better chance for characters like Kamakura or brand new characters to be "validated" and openly accepted to the franchise.

Honestly the continuation from 155 is what I will be buying from now on aswell.

I am going to be cancelling all of my other pulls at my local comic shop.

I think by continuing from 155 it gives Hasbro and IDW a greater opportunity to create new characters that will be openly accepted by boths fans and children alike.

It gives a better chance for characters like Kamakura or brand new characters to be "validated" and openly accepted to the franchise.

So long as they don't say, "Now Mr. Hama, write us into ROC." :lol

If that happens, I'll hit up some Russian buds and start pricing out tactical nukes. :p

As discussed elsewhere, Hama's work went downhill fast toward the end of the Marvel run. And his new stories released with the 25th Anniversary comic packs sucked, IMO. Would be nice if his new Joe work turned out like his vintage stuff, but I would not go in expecting that.

As discussed elsewhere, Hama's work went downhill fast toward the end of the Marvel run. And his new stories released with the 25th Anniversary comic packs sucked, IMO. Would be nice if his new Joe work turned out like his vintage stuff, but I would not go in expecting that.

To be fair though, it was blatantly obvious that Hasbro had a hand in the characters and wanted to see them input into the story, forcing him to write to coincide with the lamer later releases. I'm looking forward to seeing him continue where he left off and hope that the input from Hasbro is minimal if none.

Perfect example; just finished reading book 7 of the classics and had forgotten all about that craptastic Cobra Pogo. WTF were they thinking with that thing?! :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

pogo.jpg

tempted to get those joe classic comics. Only bad thing is 7 of them @ $15 bucks each.

Amazon has 8 & 9 for PO if you want to. Went ahead and grabbed 1-7 cost $98 bucks shipped.

Amazon has 8 & 9 for PO if you want to. Went ahead and grabbed 1-7 cost $98 bucks shipped.

You really won't be disappointed. They're fun reads and it'll give you great insight as to why we're so passionate about our Joes. And $98 shipped is still cheaper than picking up the series individually. Plus, you'll be ready to go when the series starts up again with #156. :rock:rock:rock Did you snag 155 1/2?

I tend to find that Overstock.com gets them cheapest though, at sub $20 shipped (cheaper than Borders w/rewards points) for the new ones.

EDIT: Well, you won't be ready to go. That only covers through issue #70, but you'll be well on your way. :lol

Last edited:
You really won't be disappointed. They're fun reads and it'll give you great insight as to why we're so passionate about our Joes. And $98 shipped is still cheaper than picking up the series individually. Plus, you'll be ready to go when the series starts up again with #156. :rock:rock:rock Did you snag 155 1/2?

I tend to find that Overstock.com gets them cheapest though, at sub $20 shipped (cheaper than Borders w/rewards points) for the new ones.

EDIT: Well, you won't be ready to go. That only covers through issue #70, but you'll be well on your way. :lol

They should be cool. I read a few of the originals a long time ago so it will be cool to get back in. I understand the passion. I'm like you guys I've been a fan for a long time. :) 1-6 should be shipping soon but #7 won't ship till the end of June for some reason. :lol No, I didn't get the one at Free Comic book day. I'll have to find a way to pick it up myeslf or see if Bagels maybe can find me one. He's great at stuff like that.

Yeah, since it only covers 10 per thats ok. I'll get all caught up as they come out. :lol

Back