If they make an Anya, which one would you want?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr2red

Super Freak
Reaction score
I would want Anya from Once more with Feeling or Demon Anya to go with
D'Hoffryn.

Jonathan is a character I would like to see made from the Superstar episode.

I'd want Anya in that Bunny suit with a different outfit under it that corresponds to a different episode. Maybe the Bunny suit could be the "exclusive" version.

i want a demon selfless one for d'hoffren.
and a hells bells anya with rooted hair
but i would like a bunny one with somthing like once more with felling outfit under the costume

The following is just my opinion. I'm a Buffy collector--props, weapons, original ad posters, some 6" figures and display environments, statues, and Sideshow figures. I don't collect any other Sideshow lines. When talking with other Buffy collectors, they're typically unenthusiastic about Sideshow's buffy line due to extreme lack of humans. A full 6 people who were core Scoobies at one time or another remain unmade (or so poorly made as not to count), and there's no sign any are going to get made anytime soon. Consequently, a lot of Buffy collectors feel no need to collect the Sideshow line at all unless more core humans are made, or only pick up a few figures and ignore the rest.

That's why I don't want to see a demon Anya before a human one. I think the whole problem with the Sideshow Buffy line has been Sideshow's over-emphasis on monsters and underappreciation of the huge popularity of good human character likenesses in the line. General Sideshow collectors who collect other SS figures probably prefer monsters, but most of the Buffy fans I know care far more about humans and many won't buy SS figures only because not enough human characters are available. They don't want to commit to the SS Buffy line knowing that it could end with major characters unmade. Some people wonder why nice sculpts like Vampire Buffy take so long to sell out, and why small edition exclusives like Der Kindestod are still kicking around after ages. The short answer, from talking to other Buffy-specific collectors, is I think the fact that they want to see more humans before they commit to more monsters.

We've only gotten good likenesses of 3 humans (Xander, Oz, and the Buffster herself) and two human-faced vamps (Spike and Angel); Willow is such a nonexistent likeness that she's a slap in the face and doesn't count, and Faith is merely passable so just barely counts. Counting Faith that's just 4 humans, or 6 human-faced characters including the vamps. Buffycentric collectors often wonder why we're getting many tiny editions of demons which sell smallish amounts and endless remakes of Buff/Spike/Angel without getting any of these humans in between, which would sell several times as well as Vamp Buffy or Der Kindestod in half the time:

Willow (a real one, not the existing craptacular un-likeness)
Tara (an OMWF Tara would sell out even a big edition)
Giles (of course)
Anya (not hugely popular nor minor, but a solid bet)
Cordelia (probably an Angel release now--long hair please so she can double for a Buffy Cordy)
Dawn (too underrated--she'd still sell 2000 or so quickly, much more if a good sculpt and outfit choice)
Kendra the Vampire Slayer (minor, but she'd outsell Der Kindestod briskly)
The Primitive (the first Slayer--she'd have crossover appeal to monster collectors)
Jenny Calendar (minor, but again Buffy fans would make sure she sells at least as well as Der Kindestod--add an Eyghon head as an exclusive and she'd sell like hotcakes!)
Glory (with Hellgod robes from The Gift as excl. accessory to hide articulation)
The Mayor (Box of Gavrok w/spider-demon-thingy coming out as excl. accessory)

Sure, there's this irrational concern that the line would die if we got all the core human characters. But that's not a rational excuse, because there are 6 core humans left, and a few more minor ones--plenty to last years when sandwiched between monsters, so why aren't we getting any anytime soon? There's also the likelihood that more Buffy fans would be drawn into collecting the Sideshow figures if more core characters were released, driving sales and interest in the line up across the board, inflating monster sales too. There's also no danger of the Buffy line dying just because all the main characters are made, simply because several of the core characters could easily support later alternate versions--for example, regular Willow, later Dark Witch Willow, and even further down the line a Season 1 long-haired Willow or a white-haired Chosen Willow. Buffy fans will gladly buy multiple good, unique releases of a character given some time between, so the idea that releasing core characters would kill the line doesn't hold much water. Releasing more core human characters would grow the audience for the line, not kill it IMHO. The 6" Buffy products are more popular than ever, yet every main character has been made and remade in many variants and multiple waves (except Dawn, whose first releases are in the current line). Normally I wouldn't bring commodity 6" figures into a discussion about luxury 12" figures, but Buffy is a special case in which the 6" collectors and potential 12" collectors overlap significantly given Buffy fan demographics.

Again, that's just my opinion as a Buffy fan who's increasingly less interested in the current direction of the line, and knows a lot of fellow Buffyphiles who are at least as disenchanted. Human Anya, please. Human Tara, human Dawn--just give us more good core human characters. The demon-of-the-week and rerun show the line has become isn't very conducive to winning a bigger audience for these figures. I know some will disagree with my positions, but hey, it's good fodder for constructive discussions, right? :)

Last edited:
I only collect the Sideshow Buffy/Angel line so here's my two cents added to what SergeiEsenin just said. I totally agree with a lot of what you said! I do like the monster figures that I bought but I would much prefer seeing human faced figures of my favorite characters coming out with the monster element being the occasional figure added to the line. I'm about at my breaking point for buying the "monster" characters without getting a good main character before or after it.

I would love to see from the Buffy line:

Giles
Tara
A better Willow
A better Faith
Cordy
Joyce
Dawnie
The Mayor
Caleb (not with the blackened eyes because I'd want to do a Firefly custom of him (Mal) because Sideshow seems determined not to give us this line!!!!)

And from the Angel line:

Wesley
Doyle
Gunn
Fred
Cordelia (with short hair if we get a long haired one for the Buffyline).

Of course from the Angel line I would be happy to see a Lorne and an Illyria as they were main characters as well even though they had "monster" faces!

And from the Angel line I'd love to see a Jasmine (so I can do Zoe from Firefly) and Hamilton (so I can do Jayne). Heck, even give us the ballerina from "Waiting in the Wings" so I can do a custom River too!!

Firefly Flanatic said:
I'd want Anya in that Bunny suit with a different outfit under it that corresponds to a different episode. Maybe the Bunny suit could be the "exclusive" version.

100% agreement. Bunny costume Anya would be an *awesome* exclusive.

SergeiEsenin- A well written point. Though I collect other lines besides Buffy, I'm very much a "core character" collector of SS's Buffy line.

Your post got me thinking about what human Buffy characters that I would purchase in 12 inch form, and I came up with:

Giles, A better Faith, a better regular Willow, Jenny Calendar (I would personally really love her), and Kendra. I'm not counting Cordelia because I expect her in the Angel line.

Sergei, Thanks for the insight into the mind of some Buffy collectors. I think sometimes I am just too happy to have any new Buffy 1/6 figures that I don't get too particularly upset when it isn't Giles just yet. Given the past history, I felt a little spoiled this year even getting Xander and Oz, two Humans in one year! I think that SS is slowly (painfully) dishing out the hero figures to prolong the life of the line, just my .02.

As for Anya, I would hope for a "Wish" Anya, with interchangeable head goodness just for the regular figure, and she should come with her bunny suit as the exclusive version:wacky

I'd like a "Wish" or "Once More With Feeling" Anya and a seperate figure of Anyanka. Maybe a "Restless" peasant Anya?

I think SSC is trying to broaden the appeal of the line and aren't just courting the diehard Buffy fans who are most interested in human hero characters. Sure I'd like to see a Giles, but the Master, Kinderstod and (hopefully eventually) Judge, Sweet and SKIP are more interesting by far for me.

I would like to see Sideshow offer a 12" Anya figure with both a regualr human head and a demon version head. I think that it is ridiculous that they keep churning out one of each figure, normal and game-face.

Anyanka and Anya as one figure makes no sense for them from a marketing standpoint. The head's different, the hands are different and the costume's different. It might be difficult to come up with enough relevant accessories for both figures, but I can't see them deviating from the monster/human variations beging seperate as they've done in the past.

I just hope we get some version of her at all.:rolleyes:

I must admit that the last 12" Buffy announcement of D'Hoffryn baffled me. But having only watched the first three seasons of the series at the time of the announcement, I decided to wait and see how the character develops.

Now, after watching the whole series, I still remain baffled. There is SO many figures that they could do I'm surprised that Sideshow chose him. I'll spare you the lengthy list. But if the line stops soon, for whatever the reason, it will be strange to see so many holes in the collection yet have figures like Der Kindestod and D'Hoffryn available in the marketplace.

But now having been newly minted as a Buffy fan, I hope that this line has a long life. For now I'm playing catch up with past figures with an eye on the horizon.

I hope Sideshow does a better job of getting the core Angel characters (Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn) released in a more timely manner, I really don't want to have to wait two to three years or longer to complete the team.

No Anya for me, never was that crazy about her character.

Core Angel characters would include Lorne too. I don't know that we'll ever get a Gunn or even a normal Fred, I don't see them as being all that popular. And I'd consider Anya and Tara as very important for the Buffy line, but I'm sure others would disagree.

How can you say that normal Fred wouldn't be all that popular!?!?! I would be the first to line up to get a normal Fred, a Pylean hermit Fred, Labcoat Fred, Half-transformed to Illyria Fred...mmmmm Fred:drool

Darklord Dave said:
Core Angel characters would include Lorne too. I don't know that we'll ever get a Gunn or even a normal Fred, I don't see them as being all that popular.
Gunn was there from the first season to the last, gotta have Gunn.

Lorne was definitely a major character, but I never really considered him a core member of the team. To me, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn are the Scooby Gang of the Angel series. I want to see figures of Lorne, Fred, Doyle, Spike and Illyria, but I would be more willing to wait for them than I would for what I consider to be the core team members.

Lorne is far more interesting looking than any of them. My most desired Angel figure is Illyria, but Fred - not so much.

Back