My new 1/6th figure shelf.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadLeaves

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a new shelf design for the space above the computer desk for few months now, it needed to be slim yet sturdy ( don't wont a avalanche of 1/6th figs smashing down on me, lol ). I tested out few different ideas but just didn't like the way they looked or the amount of space certain designs take up on the wall.

I've been working with acrylic sheet a bit lately and decided that a piece of 10mm sheet would be perfect for the job. I tested out a few different ways of attaching it to the wall & came up with a single rail to support the acrylic sheet, with invisible fixings. So no ugly screw heads to be seen! I did a few tests to see if the design would hold the desired weight & it does it no worries, a test piece 100mm wide by 200mm deep would hold up to 7kg! (with a fair bit of deflection/bending) The timber failed at about 11kgs on that 100mm length. Seeing as the weight of all the figs I could put on it wouldn't even add up to 10kg I think it's more than tough enough.

The final rail dimensions are 30mm high x 22mm thick with a trench in the timber (15mm deep) to hold the acrylic. Also a small strip of timber veneer sits inside the trench to hide the fixing to the wall. The timber used is Australian Jarrah. The acrylic sheet is 215mm x 1450, so 8" by 5 foot long. I'm really happy with the way it turned out - looks classy!

So, if you read that wall of text here's the final product with some of my new acquisitions. I think I'll move the print up a bit higher or even replace it with a couple of new ones I'm working on framing up at the moment. Damn, looking at the photo's I need to paint the wall too. lol

Dsc01891.jpg

Dsc01895.jpg

Dsc01894.jpg

Dsc01892.jpg

Dsc01893.jpg

Last edited:
Very Impressive DL and the Great Figures on it, That Shelf Works and is Functual for your needs, Great Print, is that something from JIn-Roh? Very Cool

Thanks lads!

The print is by Ashley Wood, one of his World War Robot prints.

3APRINT1-714p.jpg

I'm thinking of replacing it with these two, once framed. Making the frames out of Jarrah to match the rail.

Dsc0176733.jpg
Princess_of_Mars_2.jpg

Cheers Terry. :duff Nup, no brackets - 100% safe. Like I said, I reckon the weight limit is about 10kg before any problems.

I'm pushing the boundaries with the thin dimensions of the rail, but the tests confirmed it's really solid. The whole idea was to have it look like the figures are just floating there.

Thanks lads!

The print is by Ashley Wood, one of his World War Robot prints.

3APRINT1-714p.jpg

I'm thinking of replacing it with these two, once framed. Making the frames out of Jarrah to match the rail.

Dsc0176733.jpg
Princess_of_Mars_2.jpg

Thats a Great Choice DL, Princess of Mars, BTW do you think you will get any work done with those Two Prints up on the wall :naughty:D

Very cool. Museum quality. Wish I had the know-how and tools. Would make one myself. Bet it would look great up high as well.

Cheers guys! :duff

Colossus, I don't do any work in here - all play. :D I just don't have any room anywhere else for the 3A print & it would be a shame to dump in a cupboard, so I guess it will stay for the time being.

INCOM, I would have liked to use glass, but it would be waaay to heavy. I like the transparency of the acrylic though, glass tends to look green or black on an exposed edge.

They were up on Bamba last year for ages, was only about $25. It was really difficult to frame though. The matt board was a pain in the arse to cut 'cause it's over a meter long. Got it right on the third attempt, lol. Plus the paper is really thick & was rolled up in a tiny tube. Ended up using photo mount to secure it to the backboard so it stayed flat. I almost chucked it several times - but it turned out good.

Maybe try the 3A boards or ebay.

Cheers guys! :duff

Colossus, I don't do any work in here - all play. :D I just don't have any room anywhere else for the 3A print & it would be a shame to dump in a cupboard, so I guess it will stay for the time being.

INCOM, I would have liked to use glass, but it would be waaay to heavy. I like the transparency of the acrylic though, glass tends to look green or black on an exposed edge.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol, Work and I are not on speaking terms but I see it everyday except on weekends :D

Back