Stands - would you re-buy stands if the style changed?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a newly designed stand for 1/6 figures if you had to purchase seperate?

• Yes, just change to crotch support rather than waist circle

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Yes, crotch support and new design

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Yes, waist circle and new design

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Yes, but only if it was part of an environment

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • No, the current stands are fine

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • No, I just leave the stands in the box anyway

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I really like the Hot Toys stands, both for the design and the newish crotch hooks rather than waist rings. A lot of Star Wars figures could benefit from the crotch support instead of a waist ring due to waist greeblies - like Jedi and troopers. But what I'm proposing here is an all new stand specific to Star Wars that is maybe slightly different than the current ones.

For the purposes of this poll assume these would be available to purchase separately, perhaps in packages of 5.

I'd be up for this. It would be nice if they were available using gift cards - at least the damn things would be worth something then

I am in for re-standing!

Edit - Ilike the idea of the environment so I voted for that one, but I would take a Hot Toys-esque redo as well.

I was actually thinking of this last night as I reposing one of my sandtroopers & split the vertical plastic piece. the waist stands are just too visible & or restricting I like using the stands but I don't want all my figures standing to attention. A little bit a environment wouldn't go astray either like the Hottoys ones, a little bit of grated deathstar floor or paneling a sand dune style etc would add to the display

I'm fine with the current stands, but I would also be fine if they switched them to something more similar to what Hot Toys has.

I think there should be super-fancy stands that have little ratchet joints in them, so that the hooks can be out to the sides, but then *click click click* and you can rotate em so that they're HT style...

Basically they could swivel and snap into place for crotch or waist support, then you could use em for a wide range of figures... of course they should be sold separately, but I wouldn't mind if they were convertible ones...

Here in earthquake country, I actually prefer the waste grips. Gives the figures more stability should a big rumble come waltzing through town. The groin grips would encourage shelf diving and I actually swap my HT groin grippers out for the waste gripping pieces.

persoanlly i think they should offer both the waist rings and the crotch rings. how much can it cost to bend a piece of metal? for the prices of these figures we should get both options. that way the buyer can choose which one to use. both styles have their advantages and disadvantages.

I almost never use stands, but the crotch stands look the best imo. The waist stands are to obtrusive and distracting.

I do like the way the Hot Toys base looks also. Sometimes I use them even though I don't use the actual stand part. If I could buy more of those I would.

I really like the HT "Y" stand, or as you put it, the "crotch supporter," over the waist circle.

I just opened a POTC Sparrow and switched the stand to the crotch variety.

Although, there are some figure that the waist circle works better, especially for a dynamic pose, which is why I have about 10 extra stands just to have on hand if needed.

If I collected SS SW, I would swap all the stands out with the standard HT stand, which just looks better, emblem or not.

Here in earthquake country, I actually prefer the waste grips. Gives the figures more stability should a big rumble come waltzing through town. The groin grips would encourage shelf diving and I actually swap my HT groin grippers out for the waste gripping pieces.

I'm not a big fan of the crotch grips either. Not particularly stable and they pretty much force you to put every figure in a wide legged stance. The HT style waist grips are quite easy to hide under clothing. I'll never understand why Sideshow puts those stupid extensions on the waist grips of their stands, they serve no purpose other than causing the clothing to bulk up. That's what they need to change.

I like those HT stands too....and yes, the Sideshow figures that would benefit most right now are the Troopers...I hate clamping those waist things on those guys!

i still think that they should incorporate magnets to the feet & put out smaller metal stands. it cant be that expensive because you can pick up metal stands at crafts stores for a buck or a little more depending on the size.

I'd be up for this. It would be nice if they were available using gift cards - at least the damn things would be worth something then

too right.....

i would spring for some reasonably priced envorinment based like the sandy sith droid base or the vader droid base,

I'm wondering if people are misreading the thread title. Would you REBUY stands, meaning if SS changed stands, would you buy the new ones for all of your old figures?

Dave, does this mean that SS would put out Star Wars stands in a new format? And if so, what about the exclusive stands with the new clones? What about stands for other lines as well? G.I. Joe? The Dead or Indiana Jones (assuming they're still applicable)?

I think rebuying depends entirely on the effectiveness of the new stands, if they only marginally improve upon the existing stands, there's not much sense in spending more money on something you already have, but if they work much nicer, definitely worth it, I'm a stand displayer, don't like taking chances, so if new ones help me better display my figures than the old ones allow, I'm up for getting them.

I think rebuying stands for all the figures would be a waste of money. And if Sideshow did start using a different hook on the stands for their new figures, I would hope they still use the same circular base to keep continuity with the previously released figures.

I would hope they still use the same circular base to keep continuity with the previously released figures.

I do agree with this, I'm up for the means of attaching the figure to the stand being improved/changed, but ideally, the basic design should stay the same.

As for rebuying for all their old figures, I wouldn't do that, but, there are a number where, as has been commented, the extension of the "C" off the vertical post causes clothing to puff out in unflattering ways depending on the costume, or conflicts with belts and armor, figures like that I would replace.

Back