Wolverine Comiquette production blog up

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually like the prototype better as Wolvie is not crouching as much hence making him less vertical. He is rather leaning. The slight change makes a world of difference as it makes the pose look more dynamic and less stiff.

rough2.jpg

The prototype is definitely the Stuff. The lean is much more aggressive, but I think what really makes it is that his head is turned more, making it look like he's just LOOKING for a fight, scanning left and right, DARING anyone to bring it. I also like the teeth/gums better, I think he went a little overboard on making ALL the teeth so Narly. The gums are too far up, it makes it look like his teeth are upside down, with the sharp part jutting into his gums(not that the regular teeth should be sharp at all.) I'm sure he was going for the rabid dog look, but it just doesn't work.

Teeth look better, here:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prodblog/logan0.jpg

than here:
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prodblog/logan2.jpg

Last edited:
ComputerFly said:
The gums are too far up, it makes it look like his teeth are upside down, with the sharp part jutting into his gums(not that the regular teeth should be sharp at all.) I'm sure he was going for the rabid dog look, but it just doesn't work.

Gingivitis ain't pretty... :naughty

From the Production Blog:

Initial sketches had the character leaning foward a bit more but because the overall statue needed to be a certain overall height I lifted his upper body up somewhat to meet our needs

There should never be a mandatory height requirement for a piece. If it looks better crouching, then leave it crouched! It doesn't need to be a certain height, so much as it needs to look as cool and ferocious as possible. I would have liked to have seen the final piece looking more like this early version.

I love this thing. I'm not the biggest Comic Book fan but I really dig Wolverine and this piece was one I was hoping would get made. Well, a more statue version of him I guess is what I should say. So needless to say I booked this one into my orders list when it came up.

oh I love this quote:

“I was excited to be given the character by Sideshow. Together we tried to establish a pose and look that captured the essence of the chartacter.

tomandshell said:

There should never be a mandatory height requirement for a piece. If it looks better crouching, then leave it crouched! It doesn't need to be a certain height, so much as it needs to look as cool and ferocious as possible. I would have liked to have seen the final piece looking more like this early version.

I couldn't agree with you more!

tomandshell said:

I'm totally just guessing here, but the way I took that statement from Ray is that the statue needed to be a certain height and couldn't lean *too* much to keep it from being top-heavy - if it was bent over TOO much maybe it was a matter of the balance of the statue's dimensions? :confused: Again, I'm just guessing here (as a collector who enjoyed reading the blog entry!), so don't ever take my word as absolute truth! :peace

Last edited:
Thanks, Dusty! That makes a lot more sense and I hope it is true.

I'd like to think that the artists that work with Sideshow have a great deal of freedom in what they do, and any changes that are made in their work are done for practical reasons.

Just to offer an alternative explanation on the height thing - Marvel divides it's statue licenses into tiny, tiny pieces. I'm guessing that SSC only has the license for statues over a certain height, if it isn't a PF. Notice the verticallity in all the Vs. statues?

At least that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comment about height.

Darklord Dave said:
Just to offer an alternative explanation on the height thing - Marvel divides it's statue licenses into tiny, tiny pieces. I'm guessing that SSC only has the license for statues over a certain height, if it isn't a PF. Notice the verticallity in all the Vs. statues?

At least that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comment about height.

That's a good point too Dave - I honestly don't know the answer, but looking at the lean of the original sculpt, top-heaviness just came to my mind first! :duff

I hadn't thought of that either, Dave. I guess that the specifics of the license may very well require that the statue be a certain size or height. I can't wait to get a QT turnaround so I can see him from all angles.

SideshowDusty said:
That's a good point too Dave - I honestly don't know the answer, but looking at the lean of the original sculpt, top-heaviness just came to my mind first! :duff

That explains why the Seven of Nine and Buffy PFs are standing up straight, right?

Darklord Dave said:

Yeah but the Spidey Comiquette is the shortest at 11.5" tall. Wolverine is about 4 inches taller so I don't think a height limit is involved. I love the pose of the statue so the prototype's pose doesn't do it for me. This Wolverine looks like he just unsheathed his claws ready to attack an enemy standing in front of him.
I agree about the teeth, something's off about them. Also I think that the masked head's teeth look a little longer then the unmasked head's teeth. :confused:

Actually Spidey is not a comiquette its a PF because of the mixed material.

So see blame it on Marvel. I really dig this piece!! I'm just glad it came in at a really decent price to buy.

Back