PDA

View Full Version : Good price for Premium Captain America

Remy
04-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Just need an opinion on bidding on ebay for one of these.
I only collect 1/6 figures/statues but as far as grail...I do want a PF Captain America.
I've been looking on ebay but the fluctuation on price is drastic.
I've seen it sell under $600 but see several with BIN for $1200-1500.

I'm trying to decide what would be a good price to bid on these. I prefer just the regular version, my budget is $500 to $550. Is that a good price? Is $600 too much for just the regular version or is that a actually a decent price? I lost a bid on one as I was trying to stay on my budget and wasnt sure if I should go as high as at least $600 for it.

Thanks in advance for an input.

Mesa
04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Get the Ex.

Mesa
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.toytracker.net/sideshow/tracking/sideshow.html/71611

http://www.toytracker.net/sideshow/tracking/sideshow.html/7161

Chapter 2099
04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Get the Ex.

:lecture

Definitely go with the Exclusive. You may have to pay more, but that's one of the few Exclusives that will really add to the piece substantially.

sloaner
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Cool site Mesa

Remy
04-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the links Mesa. Cool, Seems my budget is just right.
I'm ok with just the regular version. Guess I'm pretty fortunate though in this case in that I prefer the regular version much more than the ex. Dont really care for the old school look ww2 look so I get to save some money by just getting the regular.

Thank you so much.

Chapter 2099
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the links Mesa. Cool, Seems my budget is just right.
I'm ok with just the regular version. Guess I'm pretty fortunate though in this case in that I prefer the regular version much more than the ex. Dont really care for the old school look ww2 look so I get to save some money by just getting the regular.

Thank you so much.

Good luck with the search. :rock

Remy
04-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks Chapter. Looking forward to hopefully have this one in my possession soon :)

Chapter 2099
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks Chapter. Looking forward to hopefully have this one in my possession soon :)

Be sure to check in the FS threads here periodically too. They definitely pop up.

Batman29
04-13-2010, 10:09 PM
If you can afford it, go for the exclusive! Awesome piece.

Remy
04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks Bats, but I really cant afford the exclusive. But its ok though cause i do like the regular and I would have ended up displaying him in that version anyway. Plus for the EX price, I could pick up a couple more figures on my list of "to have"

Just got my modest income tax so I finally have a small fund to hunt down this beautiful statue :)

garou_terry
04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks Bats, but I really cant afford the exclusive. But its ok though cause i do like the regular and I would have ended up displaying him in that version anyway. Plus for the EX price, I could pick up a couple more figures on my list of "to have"

Just got my modest income tax so I finally have a small fund to hunt down this beautiful statue :)

i got my regular Cap 2 years ago and not once have i thought about how i should have picked up the exclusive version. i never have liked the original captain america costume and shield anyway :) i guess we're in the minority here of wanting and being totally fine with just the REG version :banana

quadcent
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
i got my regular Cap 2 years ago and not once have i thought about how i should have picked up the exclusive version. i never have liked the original captain america costume and shield anyway :) i guess we're in the minority here of wanting and being totally fine with just the REG version :banana

while deciding on which version to get it's a no brainer when the pieces are originally released, but i can see how some would have a problem justifing $200-$500 price differance from an EX. or Reg version.

as for the arguement "i'd never display him differently", well from a collector that's had to play catch up for the last couple years, the Ex. features for me aren't the reason i purchase EX. only, it because the Ex. versions almost always increase in value quicker than the Reg's do.

i bought my Cap for about $550 a year ago and at the time the Reg versions were selling in the$350-$400. so going by what others have posted on here what the Ex. and Reg have been selling for, the Ex. is the way to go. unfortunately you've just hit a spike in the value for this one.

Remy
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, if the price was $550 for the EX and $400 for the reg, then most definitely, I would get the EX cause of the investment purposes. I do agree. But currently, the price gap is huge. Whenever I check the price, the average price for the EX is $1K to 1.2K. Sometimes more.
I sometimes see the reg for $600 to $700. So basically there's a huge difference now so I'm just fortunate that at I do prefer the regular which is the only one I can afford anyway.
I dont really even collect PF, I collect mainly HT but whenever I look at "show your shelves" section, I'm always drooling at those Cap statue:monkey2
But I did get a decent tax return so hopefully, I'll finally be able to have one on my shelf soon. :monkey5

Shai
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Ex or GTFO

Mesa
04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
while deciding on which version to get it's a no brainer when the pieces are originally released, but i can see how some would have a problem justifing $200-$500 price differance from an EX. or Reg version.

as for the arguement "i'd never display him differently", well from a collector that's had to play catch up for the last couple years, the Ex. features for me aren't the reason i purchase EX. only, it because the Ex. versions almost always increase in value quicker than the Reg's do.

i bought my Cap for about $550 a year ago and at the time the Reg versions were selling in the$350-$400. so going by what others have posted on here what the Ex. and Reg have been selling for, the Ex. is the way to go. unfortunately you've just hit a spike in the value for this one.

However, all pieces eventually hit a ceiling, and then the regular may appreciate more because people will only pay so much for a luxury statue...

Still, I'd get the Ex.

UTtoyfan
04-16-2010, 02:19 PM
It's amazing that the exclusive can sell for more than $1000. I was so glad when I won one a few weeks ago on Ebay for $700. It's one of my favorite pieces now, and I feel is money well spent! :D

2010 Camaro
04-16-2010, 04:12 PM
^Hi, can you guys post pics of your Cap PF's? The reason I ask is I am interested in purchasing one but I can't tell the difference between the authentic version and a recast

quadcent
04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
^Hi, can you guys post pics of your Cap PF's? The reason I ask is I am interested in purchasing one but I can't tell the difference between the authentic version and a recast

as far as i know there isn't any racasts of this piece. the recasting been limited to hulk vs spidey dios and the Ironman Com.

Remy
04-16-2010, 06:42 PM
WEllll I won one today!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!! Really friendly seller. He's gonna try to ship it tomorrow or Monday. I'm so Happy. Finally gonna have one soon.:banana

fuzzylojiks
04-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Congrats Remy!

Remy
04-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Thank you :)

quadcent
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
way to go man, did you get the reg or ex.?

Remy
04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Just Regular.
You guys know if detolf can handle this thing if I put it in the middle or should I put it at the very bottom? I know this thing is supposed to be heavy.

elmo
04-16-2010, 09:22 PM
nice post
and cool site..
if there is no price for the budget that I have ..:D
maybe I can get a good price later on in the year 2011
:confused:

quadcent
04-17-2010, 07:23 AM
nice post
and cool site..
if there is no price for the budget that I have ..:D
maybe I can get a good price later on in the year 2011
:confused:

good luck since the closer it gets to the movie release the harder and more expensive this one will be.

Remy
04-17-2010, 09:45 AM
That's what I was thinking that is why I went ahead and pulled
the trigger to buy Cap. I figured next year when the movie comes
out that I may not be able to afford it then.

Batman29
04-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Remy, CONGRATS man!! Outstanding on getting a great piece.

Ok, here is another suggestion ... Get a regular and get an exclusive and display them at the same time with the opposite shield and helmut.

I bet Quad does this already!

quadcent
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Remy, CONGRATS man!! Outstanding on getting a great piece.

Ok, here is another suggestion ... Get a regular and get an exclusive and display them at the same time with the opposite shield and helmut.

I bet Quad does this already!

nope only needed one of these.:monkey5

Alimoe27
04-18-2010, 05:53 PM
The EX will only go higher, specially with the movie coming soon

aces888
04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
The EX will only go higher, specially with the movie coming soon

Hmm....maybe I should hold on to my extra.

Enigma
04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
No new Captain with movie?

Remy
04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
he he, if I could afford the EX I would. But since my budget is limited, there's other's thing I could buy for that price. But yeah, this premium format is like a virus. As I mentioned, I normally only collect 1/6 HT stuff but now, I have 2 PF that will arrive this week, and I ordered the Capt Jack PF. I really should just stick to HT or else I'm gonna be livin on Ramen noodles here for the next couple of months:duh

garou_terry
04-21-2010, 04:44 AM
i know how you feel Remy! ramen noodles FTW!!!

:blackbat

fuzzylojiks
04-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Ramen is nice!

jbinny
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
1k seems to be the going rate lately...

quadcent
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
1k seems to be the going rate lately...

that's crazy man, to think i thought i paid top dollar when i got mine from you last year.
this might go the way of the green Hulk, when before the movie it was going crazy then it dropped down to the $500-$600 range, only to head back up to the 1K mark 6 months later.:horror:horror

garou_terry
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
$1k for the regular or the EX?

jbinny
04-22-2010, 01:01 AM
$1k for the regular or the EX?

1k for the EX.

TOE
04-22-2010, 01:08 AM
with the movie coming out, hope Sideshow comes out with new Capt. America statues.

jbinny
04-22-2010, 01:21 AM
A comiquette would be nice...

Remy
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I GOT MY CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! Woo hoo!!!:banana:banana:banana

So I woke up this morning, all excited as the tracking said its finally in town. Now as usual, After a long wait, I decided to walk up to the mailbox and sure enough, freakin letter saying Its at the post office in need of signature.:banghead
This is like the umpteenth time I never hear the postman ring the doorbell. From previous experience they always tell me to come back before closing or the next day but I tried anyway. Sure enough, come back later.
Its funny I was expecting also a package from fed ex and I had no trouble hearing them.

So anyway, after hours and hours of waiting. I get to the counter and the lady had trouble finding the box. I see her kept going back and forth mentioning my address to the other people so I'm thinking...Great!!! They'll probably ask me to come back tomorrow like before. But finally, the old lady comes back with the huge box and I'm sure I looked like the joker with the biggest grin. It was pretty funny as she was pretty old and she almost couldnt pick it up over the counter. She asked me what the hell is in this thing. Told her its a statue of course.

Man, this thing is amazing. I knew it's gonna be massive but still when I opened the box I was like...HOLY :horror

So, I'm pretty happy, I finally got my grail.:monkey5

rabid_wolf
04-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I GOT MY CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! Woo hoo!!!:banana:banana:banana

So I woke up this morning, all excited as the tracking said its finally in town. Now as usual, After a long wait, I decided to walk up to the mailbox and sure enough, freakin letter saying Its at the post office in need of signature.:banghead
This is like the umpteenth time I never hear the postman ring the doorbell. From previous experience they always tell me to come back before closing or the next day but I tried anyway. Sure enough, come back later.
Its funny I was expecting also a package from fed ex and I had no trouble hearing them.

So anyway, after hours and hours of waiting. I get to the counter and the lady had trouble finding the box. I see her kept going back and forth mentioning my address to the other people so I'm thinking...Great!!! They'll probably ask me to come back tomorrow like before. But finally, the old lady comes back with the huge box and I'm sure I looked like the joker with the biggest grin. It was pretty funny as she was pretty old and she almost couldnt pick it up over the counter. She asked me what the hell is in this thing. Told her its a statue of course.

Man, this thing is amazing. I knew it's gonna be massive but still when I opened the box I was like...HOLY :horror

So, I'm pretty happy, I finally got my grail.:monkey5

CONGRATS. The cap is awesome and definitaly one of my two favorite statues(Hulk PF being the other). Youll be staring at it for days.

Remy
04-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Thank you.

Yup, I have to work really late today due a massive workload. And I he he...decided to run back home for my hour lunch so I can see my statue he he.

quadcent
05-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Thank you.

Yup, I have to work really late today due a massive workload. And I he he...decided to run back home for my hour lunch so I can see my statue he he.

that's to funny man.....good to see some are truely still excited about this hobby.

Remy
05-02-2010, 12:22 AM
I guess what's cool about this hobby is somehow it taps us back to our childlike nature when we used to be excited about opening xmas presents.

We all somehow lose sight of that through work, relationships, family issues, etc.
I was thinking about while I was at work, felt like a kid who got his xmas present.:wacky

Another thing, being an art major, back then, the only way to see things of this nature is through art or wax museums. Places where we could go and sit there for hours admiring the attention to detail of each piece. Yes, a lot of this things arent cheap but these are museum quality items that you can actually take home.

fuzzylojiks
05-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I guess what's cool about this hobby is somehow it taps us back to our childlike nature when we used to be excited about opening xmas presents.

We all somehow lose sight of that through work, relationships, family issues, etc.
I was thinking about while I was at work, felt like a kid who got his xmas present.:wacky

Another thing, being an art major, back then, the only way to see things of this nature is through art or wax museums. Places where we could go and sit there for hours admiring the attention to detail of each piece. Yes, a lot of this things arent cheap but these are museum quality items that you can actually take home.

That's so true bro, I feel like a kid opening a present again everytime a new statue arrives. Only difference is I don't break them within a week, well most of the time... : )

Remy
05-02-2010, 01:35 AM
lol.:rotfl

Biohazard
05-02-2010, 03:08 AM

That's what I'm hoping for, as much as I love my pf I think I'd like a comiquette more just because I'm afraid of something happening to the fabric on the pf.

SingaporeGuy
05-02-2010, 07:56 AM
now which kind sir would sell me their cap pf ? :P

Gruson
05-02-2010, 08:48 AM

I agree, hope it happens!

jbinny
05-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I agree, hope it happens!

There's a conversion just like the Spiderman in the works....

quadcent
05-02-2010, 09:22 AM
There's a conversion just like the Spiderman in the works....

oh great, another teaser piece that no one other than a select few can own...:rolleyes:

seriously though, i'm sure we'll see a Com and PF of pretty much every piece ssc has done to date. it just may take awhile for them to put them out.
except of course for some characters such as Apoc or IM which just won't work in the PF format.

jbinny
05-02-2010, 09:24 AM
oh great, another teaser piece that no one other than a select few can own...:rolleyes:

seriously though, i'm sure we'll see a Com and PF of pretty much every piece ssc has done to date. it just may take awhile for them to put them out.
except of course for some characters such as Apoc or IM which just won't work in the PF format.

lol... anyone who owns these PFs can have these conversions done. It's just a matter of finding the right artist.

quadcent
05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
lol... anyone who owns these PFs can have these conversions done. It's just a matter of finding the right artist.

yeah i guess pulling off the clothes is the easy part, at least that's what she said.....:D
it's what comes 9 months later that's hard work...

jbinny
05-02-2010, 09:34 AM
yeah i guess pulling off the clothes is the easy part, at least that's what she said.....:D
it's what comes 9 months later that's hard work...

:lol:lol:rotfl

Remy
05-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I've seen that PF spidey conversion and I think the only reason why it worked well is that the fabric and color on that piece if off. The limited version with the dark blue was actually nice.

I'm a huge fan of mixed media like Hot toys and PFs cause I think the fabric brings a realism aspect to the statues. I've always love going to wax museums and that's what's amazing about these mixed media formats, they basically look like a small scale figures from wax museums.

jbinny
05-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I've seen that PF spidey conversion and I think the only reason why it worked well is that the fabric and color on that piece if off. The limited version with the dark blue was actually nice.

I'm a huge fan of mixed media like Hot toys and PFs cause I think the fabric brings a realism aspect to the statues. I've always love going to wax museums and that's what's amazing about these mixed media formats, they basically look like a small scale figures from wax museums.

It's the fact that you can't replicate what Spiderman or Captain America's costumes with fabric and expect it to look like it does in a comic. It just ends up looking like a doll.

Just wait for the Cap conversion.

aces888
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Cap would look 100 times better sculpted. I just can't get over the pajamas he's wearing even though the sculpt is great.

Remy
05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
It is not a Fact that you can't replicate spiderman or Captain America with Fabric...tricky yes but not impossible.

The Cap PF is close to perfection as I've ever seen.
And if you want to see Spiderman in Fabric done well, have a look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-1-6-Spiderman-action-figure-replica-prop-costume_W0QQitemZ230441727649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a765b6a1

Again, the only reason why that modified PF spidey look better is because the original spidey fabric was a poor choice. It did look like spandex material and the bright blue color did not help at all.

Shai
05-03-2010, 04:41 AM
Again, the only reason why that modified PF spidey look better is because the original spidey fabric was a poor choice. It did look like spandex material and the bright blue color did not help at all.

nahhh, with any piece of clothing on it, you would still lose the amazing muscle definition that was sculpted under it.Spidey, like a few others will always look better sculpted.

jbinny
05-03-2010, 07:57 AM
It is not a Fact that you can't replicate spiderman or Captain America with Fabric...tricky yes but not impossible.

The Cap PF is close to perfection as I've ever seen.

Once the conversion to a comiquette happens, you will see perfection.

When you apply cloth to any muscular sculpt like these, you lose the definition and the look of a comic book character. You simply can't make the bulk and definition 'pop' like it should on these characters. Once you go a apply cloth with the same thread count and thickness that we would use on our clothing, you have what looks like a doll.

Remy
05-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Perfection is subjective...opinions vary. This appears goes back to Commiquettes or PFs. Not one is better than the other, just which one you prefer. Even if the the future modified Cap ends up looking close to the modified Spidey, I would still prefer the regular PF cause I have no problem with the regular cap. I highly prefer mixed media...sure the modified Cap may show more sculpt but that doesnt mean it looks better. The added fabric in my opinion looks better as again, it adds a subtle realism to the statue which is what I prefer.

aces888
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I do own the Hulk, Cap, Spidey, and Thor PFs. Things that impressed were the size and sculpts not the fabric. I did not feel the fabric added anything unique to the statue. I feel the fabric was added just for the sake of calling it a Premium Format. Like many others commented on, mix media works well on certain characters. If you had 2 of the same sculpt, but in different formats, I have no doubt the majority would prefer the sculpted one. I have no problem with the Hulk, but I did think SSC should've made it more detailed and dirty. It looks way too clean for my tastes. I'm one of those that do not think the Doom PF is a grail and it gets too much hype. The sculpt is great, but the tailoring is not imo.

Like many commented, mix media works well for certain character. Look at the upcoming Sabretooth and Wolverine comiquettes. You're telling me you prefer those instead of sculpted? SSC lost my business for those. They don't give me the wow factor. I passed on the upcoming Gambit because I did not like material used on the trenchcoat and the uninspired base. There was a custom action Gambit piece posted around the forums that gave me the wow factor because everything from the sculpt to the face was dead on Gambit. I get it, you buy what you like. After writing this, I'm ready to unload all my PFs.

DarkDaysinVegas
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I need a Spidey PF ace. :D :lecture

Remy
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
dont wanna sound like a broken record but again, that's your opinion, Yes, I would take the wolverine with fabric over non anyday. Wanna know why? Cause some people like mixed media. And you know what? Some people dont.

I'm a gambit fan myself, hence...check out my screenname. And also, I'm passing on the PF. But its not because I dont like the fabric or whatever. Even if its all sculpted, I would have passed on it. Reason is I have the very very old Clayburn Moore statue where he's standing on the sentinels hand and I prefer the pose and face and everything over that PF. Has nothing to do with mixed media or whatever, its the actual piece. It could have been a commiquette or a PF. Whatever, I would have passed on it anyway, as I dont think its better than my old statue.

aces888
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
No problem Remy, I like to hear other people's opinion on the matter. Clay is one of my favorite sculptors, I can see why the Gambit piece is special to you. You may never see Clay sculpt a Marvel piece again.

Remy
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
No prob Ace.
Yeah, it does suck that Clay doesnt do Marvel anymore as he's one of the best around. It says a lot when a statue done in the early 90's can still surpass a current one.