Over exposure/saturation point for Spidey and Wolverine?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidLiquidFox

doing it...for all of us
Reaction score
I can understand Iron Man not selling out right away even with his awesome comiquette. Heck, I passed on it since I'm not that big of an Iron Man fan. Now, Wolvie comiquette and Spidey 1/4 exclusives are still up with not even 400 sold since there is no "Low Quantity Alert" on them. It's almost been a week. This is Spidey and Wolverine we are talking about. Marvel's most popular characters by far so you would expect a faster sell out after Toy Fair...right?

Does this mean that:

1. With Bowen and other studios pushing out dioramas and statues left and right of these characters people may pass on yet another version of them?

2. Sideshow not being distributed by Diamond Comics' Previews is a bigger factor as it keeps SS product "low key"? (some SS fans like the "secret club" factor)

3. Edition sizes on these items may come down in the future?

Not pushing the panic button or anything but I wonder how you guys view this.

But some of the other SS Marvel stuff (like Doctor Doom) sold out in a flash. I think there are just too many Spider-Man and Wolverine statues out there right now.

They just simply missed the mark. Like I mentioned, compared to the Dr. Doom + Sentinels, these recent releases are underwhelming.

Rushed.........maybe for the Toyfair................good pieces.............just did not seem to be up to par with SS other Marvel pieces. I really like the Wolverine, but he could havebeen better. Spidey OK.........coulda been better. I wish the poses for both were different.

Theres too much out there. And I think the editions are too high. The Logan PF is still available and its a great piece.

Spidey got mixed reviews and then you got the exclusive camera which isn't too appealing. I figure alot of people are buying elsewhere or waiting for ebay for a much lower price.

I agree right now the edition sizes I think are to big and I think people are still kind of "iffy" on the price point. I mean the exclusive Wolvie didn't need the priority pre order with a exclusive edition size of 500.
And I think Sideshow is still in the "proving themselves" in the Comic market with winning over fans. It'll come but it just takes a little while.

Good points already made. Biggest problem is that spidey and wolverine are not kick ass statues. They are good, no doubt about it, but ultimately what sells is how striking it is, and that is from the hard core fans. I might skip on both, don't like spidey's diaper look and the camera is underwhelming like someone said. Wolverine is a good statue, but again, nothing uniqure really.

There are way too many Wolverine's out there. It is a good staue and a good price for it. I imagine it might come down in price on the aftermarket, but I can't see it coming down that much (less than $150 say).

I think the statue market is also significantly smaller than the bust market, which Bowen seems to have the golden corner on...

Maybe as a whole the market is saturated but ES of 500 is too many. My god can they make an ES where people won't say there is too many.:rolleyes: Let them make one of the SW items or LOTR items an es of 500 and I bet the bitching never would end.

jlcmsu said:
Maybe as a whole the market is saturated but ES of 500 is too many. My god can they make an ES where people won't say there is too many.:rolleyes: Let them make one of the SW items or LOTR items an es of 500 and I bet the bitching never would end.

At this point I would say yea for a site a exclusive (esp since there are so many Wolvies out there and Bowen has a new Wolvie statue and bust in the works) but it would be to small for a entire run.

But then again it would of been cool to see another character (cough Archangel) before another Wolvie statue.

Viking28 said:
At this point I would say yea for a site a exclusive but it would be to small for a entire run.

Not even for a site exclusive is that a high es at this point. You saw how many people freaking bitched when the grey hulk came up at an es of 50. Let them have done that for Spidey or Wolverine and it would have been as bad. Hell, let them make an ES of 250 for either of these and I would expect the bitching to be high.

I'd like to think that if this Wolverine had been a PF it would have sold like gangbusters, but I'm not convinced of that. It isn't as awecore as Doom and the character is a bit overexposed.

As for Spidey - it's very cool, although the statue people are using the cloth as an excuse to pass and those opposed to statues (like myself) think it's too much like a statue and not enough like a PF. And the character is a bit overexposed.

However niether of these characters have been seen in this scale before.

jlcmsu said:
Not even for a site exclusive is that a high es at this point. You saw how many people freaking bitched when the grey hulk came up at an es of 50. Let them have done that for Spidey or Wolverine and it would have been as bad. Hell, let them make an ES of 250 for either of these and I would expect the bitching to be high.

I think 300-350 would of been a good ED size for Wolvie.

I'm still not the words biggest PF fan but I do really dig them and I love the mix on Spidey.

Darklord Dave said:
I'd like to think that if this Wolverine had been a PF it would have sold like gangbusters, but I'm not convinced of that. It isn't as awecore as Doom and the character is a bit overexposed.

As for Spidey - it's very cool, although the statue people are using the cloth as an excuse to pass and those opposed to statues (like myself) think it's too much like a statue and not enough like a PF. And the character is a bit overexposed.

However niether of these characters have been seen in this scale before.

I'm looking forward to Spidey although I was hoping for a different pose or look and it would of been cool if some webbing could of been worked into it it. Im still getting it!:banana

Just goes to show -- people want detail in their huge expensive statues, and people want nice blinky flashy lights. It's just too bad that perfectly fine PFs, that look pretty much like they ought to, get lost among all the more detailed dioramas and comiquettes. And Sideshow recently gave us both a Spidey and a Wolverine diorama, making these seem a bit redundant right now. They haven't let the craving set in.

But no, the 500 Ex ES isn't too big. These will sell out in a not-too-distant future, even though they do miss the "wow" factor that set the Sentinel Diorama and the Doom PF apart.

We shouldn't expect everything to sell out in a week or two while it's still a preorder, anyway.

Perfectly fine sculpts? Not sure about that. You might think it's fine, but appparently, alot of other people don't. Had they reduced the ES to 300, I still wouldn't have bought it. In contrast to X-men and Doom, which had ES of 650 and 500, respectivelly--and that's not even counting the regular edition ES. Even without the blinky lights or the table, I think the those 2 greatly outshine the Wolverine and Spiderman.

Now if Martin Canale does a Brown Wolverine with the iconic pose by Arthur Adams...that might sway me =)

As far as selling out quickly. Doom did sell out in a day, but xmen vs took a while, it wasn't an instant sell out. A lot of people passed on it and I think it took me a while before I ordered it, and glad I did!

Back