Battlestar Galactica Episode Thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
We might as well start a thread for discussion about BG episodes. It's one of the few shows I make sure to watch every week and I think there are a few others here who do the same.

Thanks to hairlesswookiee for the suggestion.

Doesn't this week's ep make Apollo a much more interesting character? This will give him and dad a lot more things to argue about.

I think BG is one of the shortest hours on television, it's over before you know it. Did anyone else see Apollo ending up as Commander of the Pegasus? It will make him much more interesting.

alright!!! not all my ideas are stupid. umm... lee adama was promoted twice in this week's episode. one was from captain to major during the time between last and this episode. then he received a promotion for his efforts in the ambush of the cylons against the pegasus. im psyched now!!!! so which version of lee will we see in 12" form?? im really interested to see how the election will go now that baltar has announced his running for the presidency. (i cant believe he had the ballz to go through with it.)

I like Lee being promoted to the Pegasus commander. On the other hand, that could mean we'll see less of him as it is a different role he now will be playing. On the OTHER hand, I can hardly imagine the Pegasus will be around very long. I mean, ths show IS called "Battlestar Galactica" for a reason. :)

The Baltar thread is getting on my nerves btw.. I hate that guy. Makes me bloody nervous.

btw, Linda Park, the actress playing Cylon Boomer. is that a sister of Grace Park (Hoshi from ST Enterprise)?? I think she must be. Yes ofcourse I can look that up very easily.. ;) I like 'm both. :)

How may eps to go for the season finale??

alright!!! not all my ideas are stupid. umm... lee adama was promoted twice in this week's episode. one was from captain to major during the time between last and this episode. then he received a promotion for his efforts in the ambush of the cylons against the pegasus. im psyched now!!!! so which version of lee will we see in 12" form??
I'd like him to be as he was at the start of the show. I doubt a Commander in charge of Pegasus would be flying around in a Raptor much, so that means he wouldn't come with a flight helmet or head with the helmet on. And since it's likely only Starbuck would have one of those helmets, I'd like another opportunity to have a Raptor Pilot.

This Episode was both good and bad for me. I loved the situation with John Heard, Apollo, and Starbuck on Pegasus. But the abortion part of the episode made it feel more like a standard Star Trek ep.. Not that type of story telling is bad, it's just not the usual Battlestar Galactica plot.
I also didn't totally like the way Heard's character went out, almost a cliched plot point. But there was something about the way they told this part that made the ending seam more acceptable. I liked how they handled the character's redemption.

Doesn't this week's ep make Apollo a much more interesting character? This will give him and dad a lot more things to argue about
Yes, absolutely. There's a lot of story possibilities with Apollo commanding Pegasus. And it sets up some interesting father/son conflict.

I loved this weeks for two other points:

1) It moved away from the LOST story type episodes of late -- where it's told misjointed and out of time. (The one big clunker in this series IMHO is Apollo vs. the black market.)

2) Starbuck and Lee had some really good drama. NICE.

Yes, Lee as Captain of the Pegasus is full of posabilities. I think I know how the season is going to end now. The Pegasus has to jump to unknown coordinates and spends all to some of next season finding its way back. I would welome that. I miss the split story threads.

I really, really don't want to start a discussion on abortion rights. But this was exactly NOT like a Star Trek episode. They made it muddy, ambiguous and difficult and ended up with Rosalin going against her beliefs but for all the right reasons.

It also showed what a poor politician she is, as she gave the Geminins exactly what they wanted but still ended up alienating them.

Darklord Dave said:
I really, really don't want to start a discussion on abortion rights.
Agreed.

Darklord Dave said:
But this was exactly NOT like a Star Trek episode. They made it muddy, ambiguous and difficult and ended up with Rosalin going against her beliefs but for all the right reasons.

You hit it dead on. It took the typical arguements as given and explored the situation from a different angle. It reminded me more of Hills Street Blues or the Shield than Star Trek. Yes, okay, Ron Moore used to write for DS9 and I can see the connection there, but this story line was much more mature... an evolutionary leap, if you will, from any Star Trek episode. Or a quantum leap from any Enterprise episode.

Who the hell is starting a discussion on abortion rights? This is about Battlestar. :confused:

The particular position on a subject, or the complexity, or angle, or level of maturity it's dealt with has nothing to do with it being like or unlike a Star Trek story. If this part of the ep. never appeared we wouldn't be missing anything. It only served the major story arc of the series by putting Roslyn against these Gemini people and giving Baltar a chance to exploit the situation to take the presidency from Roslyn. It could've been done a million other ways but the way they did it WAS making it a issue out of it.
Suddenly this character is introduced out of nowhere to be a catalyst for an issue that was never a part of the story before, then disappears probably never to be seen again. This issue was thrown out of left field, having very little if anything to do with the major plot of the story and little impact on the characters. I doubt it will be brought up again unless it becomes a major part of Baltar's presidential campaign. But then it'll be a side issue never getting any full attention.

And Star Trek has tackled subjects that were muddy, ambiguous and difficult to come to terms with, only difference is that Star Trek mirrored our world more closely.

screamingmetal said:
...Star Trek has tackled subjects that were muddy, ambiguous and difficult to come to terms with, only difference is that Star Trek mirrored our world more closely.

The difference is the story telling. Star Trek treats their topics as allegories, often introducing some new planet/race/space anomoly, etc. to represent the arguement.

Also, as you pointed out, BSG didn't make it the A story (where the plot revolves around the problem and, hopefully, when it's resolved the entire episode comes to its logical conclusion).

It was handled like an hour drama might. And instead of the captain -- speaking in one, clear voice as if for the show -- declaring a genuine conclusion, it featured two conflicted characters making political speeches rife with suptext, mudding their true intentions.

And, I might add, it served as a great counterballance to the forced abortion episode a couple weeks back.

screamingmetal said:
Who the hell is starting a discussion on abortion rights? This is about Battlestar. :confused:

The particular position on a subject, or the complexity, or angle, or level of maturity it's dealt with has nothing to do with it being like or unlike a Star Trek story. If this part of the ep. never appeared we wouldn't be missing anything. It only served the major story arc of the series by putting Roslyn against these Gemini people and giving Baltar a chance to exploit the situation to take the presidency from Roslyn. It could've been done a million other ways but the way they did it WAS making it a issue out of it.
Suddenly this character is introduced out of nowhere to be a catalyst for an issue that was never a part of the story before, then disappears probably never to be seen again. This issue was thrown out of left field, having very little if anything to do with the major plot of the story and little impact on the characters. I doubt it will be brought up again unless it becomes a major part of Baltar's presidential campaign. But then it'll be a side issue never getting any full attention.
I think the abortion issue was more of a reminder of the roll religion plays in BSG. Religion seemed to be a bit more prevalent in season one with Roslin's visions and her need to fulfill the prophecy. There was also the willingness of a large part of the fleet to follow her because of their beliefs. It just part of the complexity of the show.

The issue of abortion has been brought up before: The decision on whether or not to kill Sharon's little hybrid toaster.

On another note: One of my favorite characters is Baltar. I think James Callis is great as nutty Gaius.

BG does explore ideas that are very close to our reality. The one with Lucy Lawless as a reporter and how the media manipulate information for a political agenda was particularly interesting.

And it's interesting to see how Baltar's campaign develops as he is taking the rational/scientific side vs. Roslyn's more theocratic side. So it's difficult to see how he could make the Geminin situation work to his advantage unless it's just to throw his hat into the ring.

i think the pegasus will get destroyed sometime before the end of the season or the first of the 3rd season. im hoping that lucy lawless makes more appearances in the show because her character was pretty cool. i do hope they keep lee in a majority of the episodes even though he is in the pegasus now. i dont see how they could cut him out too much because he is one of the main characters.

Darklord Dave said:
BG does explore ideas that are very close to our reality. The one with Lucy Lawless as a reporter and how the media manipulate information for a political agenda was particularly interesting.

I actually found the ending of that one, where the janitor starts whistling and it builds into a montage with the original theme playing, surprisingly quite touching.

I actually found the ending of that one, where the janitor starts whistling and it builds into a montage with the original theme playing, surprisingly quite touching.

That's what I love about the show - that particular scene was touching, nostalgic and yet totally ironic and cynical. It truly makes you feel and think at the same time.

I'm just now watching the S.1 DVDs and it's interesting to listen to the commentaries. Moore and Eick are pretty upfront about what the "network" did and didn't want them to do. Wasn't too keen on the stab at Farscape as a show that got "too cool for school" and ended up alienating all by the 9 viewers who wouldn't miss an episode. (Even if it is true).

Back