Akira Kurosawa - Happy Birthday...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakersrevenge

Super Freak
Reaction score
23 March 1910 – 6 September 1998

One of my all time fav directors

Dont think he needs any intro but take 5 and read up on the great man! -> Akira Kurosawa

Think its fair to say he pathed the way for many in his field.

akira_kurosawa_copy.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MR. KUROSAWA!!!!

One of the greatest ever! :lecture

Getting the Yojimbo/Sanjuro Blu-Ray box-set tomorrow. Can't wait! :rock

I've got most of his best films in my Netflix instant queue and was planning on having a marathon watching one weekend very soon! Might be time to do that this weekend!!! :rock

Very cool Lonnie! I would love to do a marathon Kurosawa weekend. Maybe one day I can live the kid with his grandma. :D

Iron, we need a full review of the criterion boxset!!!

Very cool Lonnie! I would love to do a marathon Kurosawa weekend. Maybe one day I can live the kid with his grandma. :D

Iron, we need a full review of the criterion boxset!!!

Yojimbo: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Yojimbo-Blu-ray-Review/8845/

Sanjuro: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sanjuro-Blu-ray-Review/8846/

I got the box-set today and i can't wait to see them (whenever that is. I'm about 60 movies behind :lol) But the box-set looks good, it's the seperate releases put in a slipbox.

Necro post. 💀

It'll be his birthday soon though. :lol

This is the only Kurosawa thread on the forum, which is surprising since he's credited with the inspiration for some of today's pop culture favourites.

A few days ago I had the urge to start delving into his samurai movies after thinking about Ahsoka in The Mandalorian.

Ahsoka-vs-The-Magistrate.jpg

The Kurosawa playlist I settled on:

Seven Samurai (1954)
Throne of Blood (1957)
The Hidden Fortress (1958)
Yojimbo (1961)
Sanjuro (1962)
Kagemusha (1980)
Ran (1985)

As I usually do, I'm working chronologically.

Until now I've only ever seen bits and pieces of Seven Samurai, and yesterday finished the 3 hr 27 min version.

Ever since I've heard of Kurosawa I've known this film to be regarded as a masterpiece. However, while watching it I was confused at what exactly gave it that reputation.

From the start I found it overly slow, yet also impenetrable in places. So much time is given to some scenes where little is actually happening, yet some things happen off screen as though scenes were removed. Two instances happen early on: the samurai who violently rejects the plea to come to the aid of the village, and then the cowardly samurai who suddenly appears sleeping in the quarters with the farmers.

Maybe that was his style, to force the viewers to listen to the dialogue to fill in the gaps?

Later on the story becomes more standard.

The next obstacle is the acting, or over-acting, which applies to other Japanese films. There's parts that play like the overly expressive or overly flamboyant style of the silent era. One great exception is the subtlety in acting of Takashi Shumura playing the leader of the samurai, Kambei Shimada. His calm and considered character is almost understated by comparison.

Toshiro Mifune is fun to watch, but the comedy is very slapstick. So on the one hand you have the terrible suffering of the farmers, and on the other the clown who was born of farmers.

Then there's the fight choreography. The era requiring bloodless violence, as with the bullets that don't make holes in the shirts of victims in Hollywood westerns, doesn't help. Killing the bandits is often depicted by a lot of flailing arms and people falling over.

Finally the story itself made little sense. Why did the bandits persist in attacking such a well defended target, long after it was clear they couldn't win, when there must surely be undefended villages to rob instead?

By the time I got to the end I didn't feel as though I'd witnessed the film I've heard about and imagined for so long. It may be my inability to tune into the peculiar style of direction and acting? It's certainly not simply because it was slow and ponderous, because I count films such as Stalker and Blade Runner 2049 among my favourites.

Next up is Throne of Blood, Kurosawa's Macbeth. This one intrigued me from reviews and clips due to the gloomy atmosphere.

I'm only ten minutes in, but already feel more drawn in than I was with Seven Samurai. Now I think that maybe Seven Samurai left me cold because while it had its moments, it was too experimental, and not yet the fully formed Kurosawa experience?

I found Throne of Blood more engaging.

At only about half the length of Seven Samurai the story is more compact, yet the scenes feel more epic with the castle replacing the village, and masses of samurai and ashigaru with their banners fluttering in the wind.

The beginning is very atmospheric with the storm, the forest, the witch, the piles of dead, skeletal soldiers, the fog.

The overly expressive acting and physical movement is still on display, which I now believe was inspired by Kurosawa's fondness for Noh theatre. The ending was pretty spectacular with real arrows being fired around Mifune!

I think this film is a better introduction to the director, as I started to appreciate the style and the way certain scenes were set up.

If I make it to the end of my list I'll return to Seven Samurai to see how my view of it changes.

Finished Hidden Fortress last night and enjoyed it a lot.

After the previous two this was largely a change of pace and tone. A lot more comedy, yet also more subtlety in the style of acting.

The 'Hidden Fortress' itself was a very intriguing location, like a couple of huts buried in a deep, narrow quarry. When Tahei and Matashichi crawled to the cliff edge and looked down I even started to get a sense of vertigo.

One stand out was Makabe's horseback chase of the two soldiers, bringing them down with his sword. This lead directly into one of the most remarkable scenes of the film: the long duel with spears, which was the first properly choreographed fight in the three films. Previously it was often a quick flail of a sword and a victim falling over.

George Lucas said he took the idea of R2-D2 and C-3PO from Hidden Fortress, in order to tell a story from the point of view of two minor characters. He denied he got the idea of Princess Leia from Princess Yuki, yet it's hard not to see some of the young, sassy, headstrong Leia coming from Yuki's character.

Back