PDA

View Full Version : Too much stuff at once...

Oat Willy
02-24-2010, 02:44 PM
First, let me just say that I don't buy all that much stuff. At least not by the standards of most of you. But now I know what you guys mean w/'all the stuff coming at once' comments. In Dec/Jan 7 pieces I had orders on were released, 1 of which was the $500 Man Thing. I had to scramble, requesting Flex Pay on all the Sideshow pieces (2 were direct from Bowen), and I had to call my CC company to have my limit raised just so I could swing everything without cancelling any of it. What a headache! :google

ink
02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
that's why I pick & choose when I order, I wait for a retailer on stuff I can get later on when the EX sucks

wookielovin
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree Dont buy everything you see. have some will power

Oat Willy
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
/\ I don't man! I really don't buy all that much. Those 7 pieces were pretty much it for 2010. They just happened to all come out at once

sigep756
02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Lots of quality pieces will be released in 2010. The only way to survive it is to be a discriminating collector. I've picked up Venom and Mystique, and the only other things this year on my shopping list are:

Spider-Man CQ
Carnage CQ
Gandalf the Grey PF
TMNT CQ's

I'd love to go after Psylocke, but even with the statues spread out, I'm thinking that might have to be it.

POWER1010
02-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah it was a hectic beginning of the year for me to, i think i got like 4 things between end of december til when Elektra made it to my door just 2 weeks ago!!

and and i still have Punisher CQ coming anyday and not far behind that i Scarlet Witch CQ coming to, thats why i mainly stick to one line or two.

Right now it's all about Marvel and the 12inch Joe line :D

fuzzylojiks
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Lots of quality pieces will be released in 2010. The only way to survive it is to be a discriminating collector. I've picked up Venom and Mystique, and the only other things this year on my shopping list are:

Spider-Man CQ
Carnage CQ
Gandalf the Grey PF
TMNT CQ's

I'd love to go after Psylocke, but even with the statues spread out, I'm thinking that might have to be it.

Yeah bro, totally agree with you about being a discriminating collector. Having self control and determining whether a piece fits well into your collection well and how it looks is important even if the financial aspect is not a problem. :duh The 'must have all' mentality will be the downfall of most as SSC ramps up their production and diversifies to cater for all tastes. I really like all those choices of yours and I plan to have the first 3 as well :)

Mr. Green
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Hear me wine people!!! :violin:violin:violin

All I am going to get is a hair cut, re-new my driver license, and do my taxes. :mad:

hairlesswookiee
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Lol...welcome to my world. 2009 I could count all the pieces I preordered on one hand, and just bought some extra stuff that I decided I wanted after their release. This year is already kicking me in the nuts...2nd quarter alone is depleting my savings--Blade II figure, Wolverine PF, Jedi Luke, and I wanted to get the Vader 1:1 bust, but now its looking for an after thought until I get a job.

fuzzylojiks
02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Lol...welcome to my world. 2009 I could count all the pieces I preordered on one hand, and just bought some extra stuff that I decided I wanted after their release. This year is already kicking me in the nuts...2nd quarter alone is depleting my savings--Blade II figure, Wolverine PF, Jedi Luke, and I wanted to get the Vader 1:1 bust, but now its looking for an after thought until I get a job.

It's going to be an escalating craziness especially for the completionists, as SSC starts creating more lines they will have to have everything... have two 1:1 pieces...we'll make 1 more to go with it. got an X-men dio, we'll make 2 more. This is working great for them, they create a first masterpiece then churn out a few more and people will get them even if they aren't as good as the first. Very good strategy on their part. I just collect what looks good to me. Like the first dio only? screw the other 2! :P

ecekat
02-24-2010, 04:27 PM

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

Hulksmashed
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Nah, i gotta defend this guy a bit here. Like 20 things are coming within a months span. Its hard to just chalk it up to a lack-o-will power! And not 20 things that came out at the same time either! We are talking months and months worth of releases all coming out in one months time!

Mookeylama
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
i think a lot of people are overwhelmed when they first get into this hobby. i remember back around 06 when i 1st found Sideshow and few other companies i was downright panicky for awhile. "agh! gotta sell a kidney!". that was the 1st time in my life that i really regretted not having studied more when younger. ya know...the whole "if i studied more-better college-better job---MORE TOYS!!"

you'll learn self restraint just out of necessity. or bump off a rich uncle lol

Colossus
02-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I have found myself in the same :banghead shape when it comes to New Items coming out, for myself I have told myself I will get it sooner or later with alot of things, the good thing is I can generally setup alot of new things in advance depending on what Quarter they are coming out in or Lay-a-Way at my LCS, The only decision I have really had to make is get Gambit or X-force, Gambit wins :rolleyes::D

hairlesswookiee
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
It's going to be an escalating craziness especially for the completionists, as SSC starts creating more lines they will have to have everything... have two 1:1 pieces...we'll make 1 more to go with it. got an X-men dio, we'll make 2 more. This is working great for them, they create a first masterpiece then churn out a few more and people will get them even if they aren't as good as the first. Very good strategy on their part. I just collect what looks good to me. Like the first dio only? screw the other 2! :P

Yeah for sure. Luckily, I have my GF stooge-slap some sense into me every once in a while. She'll look at something I have on order and ask why I ordered it, and sometimes I just don't have an answer or than "To complete the rest of collection." I'm at the point where I only have stuff for characters I like. The completionist approach is very lame IMO because there are pieces in every line that are subpar....and "complete" is no excuse to spend money on them.

fuzzylojiks
02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah for sure. Luckily, I have my GF stooge-slap some sense into me every once in a while. She'll look at something I have on order and ask why I ordered it, and sometimes I just don't have an answer or than "To complete the rest of collection." I'm at the point where I only have stuff for characters I like. The completionist approach is very lame IMO because there are pieces in every line that are subpar....and "complete" is no excuse to spend money on them.

Yeah, my wife walks through and sees some of the stuff online and she's like 'whoa that thing is ugly!'. Being a guy, I agree with her some of the time and other times ugly is just cool! :D She loves my BIB Spidey but doesn't like Venom too much. :O

quadcent
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I have found myself in the same :banghead shape when it comes to New Items coming out, for myself I have told myself I will get it sooner or later with alot of things, the good thing is I can generally setup alot of new things in advance depending on what Quarter they are coming out in or Lay-a-Way at my LCS, The only decision I have really had to make is get Gambit or X-force, Gambit wins :rolleyes::D

one of the many decisions i have to make is either to keep on order or cancel Gambit, Ms Marvel and Hulkbuster. at least the diorama line sucks now so i don't have to worry about picking up any of them.:D
but damn ssc the hardest thing that i'm finding to stay away from is the great ladies that are getting made or rumored to be made this year.:banghead

sigep756
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
The other thing besides costs that has been influencing my buying decisions is space and display. As a newbie, I was stunned at the size of my first two pieces. I'm currently finishing an office for myself which is where I plan on displaying my stuff. I've got to make sure that each piece will have a spot and that it'll look good with the other pieces.

Cost is important of course. I'm a teacher, so I don't have a ton of money for my hobby. Luckily my wife is nice enough to let me play with our disposable income every now and then!

fuzzylojiks
02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
The other thing besides costs that has been influencing my buying decisions is space and display. As a newbie, I was stunned at the size of my first two pieces. I'm currently finishing an office for myself which is where I plan on displaying my stuff. I've got to make sure that each piece will have a spot and that it'll look good with the other pieces.

Cost is important of course. I'm a teacher, so I don't have a ton of money for my hobby. Luckily my wife is nice enough to let me play with our disposable income every now and then!

Aye, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you spacewise, it has to fit in with the display and go well together. Cost probably isn't as much of a factor but looks and size is most important to me.

fuzzylojiks
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
one of the many decisions i have to make is either to keep on order or cancel Gambit, Ms Marvel and Hulkbuster. at least the diorama line sucks now so i don't have to worry about picking up any of them.:D
but damn ssc the hardest thing that i'm finding to stay away from is the great ladies that are getting made or rumored to be made this year.:banghead

Yeah mate, they seem to be getting better and better at making the gals sculptwise.

MercWithAMouth
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM

IF you get both you win even MORE!:D

OP I'm in the same boat. I had 12 items on order yesterday and i slimmed it down to 7. The 7 that i told myself i would regret if i didn't get them.

That's how you gotta pick and choose, by saying to yourself " can i live without this piece in my collection?"

i'm still learning how to have will power about ordering myself :lol

jinxx
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Thank god I only collect MARVEL!(well, most!)....I feel for you, nerds. From the bottom of my black heart.

Oat Willy
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Nah, i gotta defend this guy a bit here. Like 20 things are coming within a months span. Its hard to just chalk it up to a lack-o-will power! And not 20 things that came out at the same time either! We are talking months and months worth of releases all coming out in one months time!

yeah that's right...this stuff didn't all come up for pre-order in the same month, the pre-orders were all in a 6 to 8 month span...yet they all came out within the same 4 weeks. I was getting like 2 shipping notices a week! "will power" yeah whatever :cool:

hairlesswookiee
02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
yeah that's right...this stuff didn't all come up for pre-order in the same month, the pre-orders were all in a 6 to 8 month span...yet they all came out within the same 4 weeks. I was getting like 2 shipping notices a week! "will power" yeah whatever :cool:

This is true. I hate when this happens because I usually have to deplete the funds I allocate for the collectibles all at once.

Hulksmashed
02-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Yeah in terms of people that over collect, I find that some people have will power. Others have a wife! :monkey3

hairlesswookiee
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah in terms of people that over collect, I find that some people have will power. Others have a wife! :monkey3

Nice. When the GF plays that with me I start itemizing her expenses to my toy collecting....and usually win. $50 hair cut, $20 eye brow waxing, $100 purse :confused:, $$ on makeup, etc. etc.

Hulksmashed
02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Nice. When the GF plays that with me I start itemizing her expenses to my toy collecting....and usually win. $50 hair cut, $20 eye brow waxing, $100 purse :confused:, $$ on makeup, etc. etc.

well in her defense...she is dating a hairlesswookiee! maybe she feels if she was too hairy you would get jealous! :lol

Unfortunately my wife is the pinnicle of penny pinching. Well maybe not pinnicle, but she never spends money on herself lol.

Skiman
02-25-2010, 02:11 PM

this is the key.... it will open up new doors, :lecture

POWER1010
02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

So im not the only one who does this then :lol

fuzzylojiks
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
well in her defense...she is dating a hairlesswookiee! maybe she feels if she was too hairy you would get jealous! :lol

Unfortunately my wife is the pinnicle of penny pinching. Well maybe not pinnicle, but she never spends money on herself lol.

:lol:lol:lol

Razor Hanzo
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
So im not the only one who does this then :lol

Hehe. I'm pretty sure all of us married guys do this in one form or another. I just gave her the go-ahead on a $500 purse; knowing that my Punisher comiquette will be landing on the porch any minute now.:gun

fuzzylojiks
02-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Hehe. I'm pretty sure all of us married guys do this in one form or another. I just gave her the go-ahead on a $500 purse; knowing that my Punisher comiquette will be landing on the porch any minute now.:gun

/raises hand

ink
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM

well played :lol

Hulksmashed
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

I take the opposite approach. I spend all the money and then make her feel like its her fault:

"Wow Sweetie, look at my 4 new collectible statues!! Oh...and we need to talk...I noticed you were in the shower for 35 min today. That water costs money you know!! Maybe you could shave without water tomorrow??" :monkey3

Of course Im joking...my wife is like 10 times smarter then me...if I ever tried to pin my faults on her she would turn me into a mental vegetable with some sort of crazy logic puzzle....

fuzzylojiks
02-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I take the opposite approach. I spend all the money and then make her feel like its her fault:

"Wow Sweetie, look at my 4 new collectible statues!! Oh...and we need to talk...I noticed you were in the shower for 35 min today. That water costs money you know!! Maybe you could shave without water tomorrow??" :monkey3

Of course Im joking...my wife is like 10 times smarter then me...if I ever tried to pin my faults on her she would turn me into a mental vegetable with some sort of crazy logic puzzle....

That's true that sounds like it never work.... unless she was like 12 or something or you're living in the moon and water cos $9000 per gallon... then again shipping for your statue would cost a lot there too! :D

quadcent
02-25-2010, 10:54 PM
speaking of to much stuff coming at once, i just got my WL's converted for both the disney PF queens and one is processing next week.
not to sure what to do about these ones.
what do you guys think about the disney PF line so far and putting the cost aside, would you get into collecting this line or not??:monkey1

Mr. Green
02-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Go for it, you're a rich guy. Don't be a poor guy like me. Stop whining and BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!!

Damn we got some elite rich bastard here. Hehe that's for sure. :slap

jinxx
02-25-2010, 11:02 PM
speaking of to much stuff coming at once, i just got my wl's converted for both the disney pf queens and one is processing next week.
Not to sure what to do about these ones.
What do you guys think about the disney pf line so far and putting the cost aside, would you get into collecting this line or not??:monkey1

No Aladdin, no care!!

Mr. Green
02-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Boba Fett 1:1 bust is HOT!!
Gambit is HOT!
Carnage 1:1 bust is HOT!
Snake Eyes Dio is HOT!

Dammit so much stuff. Buy em if you can man..hehe

EVILFACE
02-25-2010, 11:05 PM
http://assets.thequietus.com/images/articles/126/dirtyharry1_1215529112_crop_478x295.jpg

A man's got to know his limitations.

Mr. Green
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Know your limit when you gets OLD!!!

"To deny our impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human" --Mouse, The Matrix

Denied it is to embrace Ebay later!! You can always make em flipper/scalper rich later.

Skiman
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
http://assets.thequietus.com/images/articles/126/dirtyharry1_1215529112_crop_478x295.jpg

Skiman
02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Know your limit when you gets OLD!!!

"To denied our impulse is to denied who we are" --Mouse, The Matrix

Denied it is to embrace Ebay later!! You can always make em flipper/scalper rich later.

this is true and one of my favorite parts of that movie and character.

Mouse rules!!!!

Bullseye
02-26-2010, 02:55 PM
The problem I have noted is that you could order Venom in January and say Spider-woman LSB in April yet both ship at the same time. Now that's a pain in the ass.

quadcent
02-26-2010, 05:59 PM

yeah, i thinks i'm going to cancel both of them and stick to the marvel line.:banana:banana:banana

CelticWarrior
02-27-2010, 08:53 AM
We all have our own tastes but marvel is much more rockin then the disney line... just my own humble opinion.. not that i dislike disney or anything :P

wookielovin
02-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Marvel is sideshows top line.... There not many pieces that sell out in 2mins!... and if they do there MARVEL!