PDA

View Full Version : IF Hot Toys made Hulk- How should they design his body?

Centrocal
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
If Hot Toys made Hulk, they would probably have to design a brand new body because of his size, but which style should they use? I think, the Dutch style body would work best because it would have a better cosmetic look to it, despite having limited articulation. The problem was Dutch couldn't hold his gun, but Hulk doesn't really need to hold anything

Marvel-ous
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
No contest...they HAVE to make sure there are no visible joints. I don't really care if this restrains its posing abilities.

EVILFACE
02-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Joints so you can like pose him and stuff.

galactiboy
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
The new style body is the way to go... seems to be the best of both worlds. And I love that they are painting the bodies as well as the head.

Hulk will be one expensive sonofa_____, but he'll be one kickass figure :rock

King Darkness
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Better have joints.

I already a own a Hulk PF, dont need a 1/6 scale PF too.

creature4000
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
rubber bodies suck... Sculpted arms with joints rock!!! :rock

SanShouXMA
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm actually torn between the new style body with the sculpted arms and the full rubber body. I'd like a body that doesn't show the joints but I'd want to pose the body in a way where it is dynamic and not just standing there. With the Hulk you have to pose him in an action pose. I think for me personally I'd be happy with a body like Dutch where the shoulders are exposed joints so that you can lift the arms up and down. The way I have him posed in my mind that's the only articulation that would need to be freed up. The rubber arms have enough posability for a good pose IMHO.

Marvel-ous
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Joints, unfortunately, make figures look like toys.

Darkseed
02-22-2010, 10:58 AM

If your a collector of 1/6th scale figures you are collecting toys, regardless how they appear.

I prefer the ability to capture specific poses which is why I chose custom Wolverine body.

King Darkness
02-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Good call Captain Obvious :duh

EVILFACE
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM

No matter what, it's still a toy.

Don't like joints, get statues.

Invincible
02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd go with joints .
Silicone doesn't only limit the movement but scares me of ripping it someday :(

karamazov80
02-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't want no rubber figure with wires inside. Those are called "bend-ems"

http://www.potf2.com/potj/bendems/images/archive/errors/admiral_ackbar_han_solo_card_20A_S_US_bendems_800. jpg

Gimme joints or gimme nothing.

Marvel-ous
02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
No matter what, it's still a toy.

Don't like joints, get statues.

No, it's a scaled representation of a real human being. And on some of them, with the right photographer, they could easily be mistaken for the real thing. I don't know about you, but I don't play with toys anymore.

Skiman
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:lol

There is just no in between with stats and action fig lovers.

I swing both ways, yea I said it, jump all over that one and make the jokes...

doesn't matter because whose big in pants? Hulk is!!!!! :lecture

Skiman
02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't want no rubber figure with wires inside. Those are called "bend-ems"

Gimme joints or gimme nothing.

http://crabfisher.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kenner_stretch_armstrong.jpg

King Darkness
02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
No, it's a scaled representation of a real human being. And on some of them, with the right photographer, they could easily be mistaken for the real thing. I don't know about you, but I don't play with toys anymore.

Do you tell yourself that so you can feel better about buying toys?

galactiboy
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Also, when you get into larger sized rubber bodies you loose almost all articulation.

I have the Apexplorers T-Rex figure which is a about twice the bulk of the regular muscular bodies, and it barely has any articulation. Looks nice, but not much fun to pose.

Hulk would be even worse, he needs to be a fully sculpted figure with well designed joints like they are doing with the new bodies.

Skiman

HE'S REAL I TELL YOU..... his name is................... :monkey1

Charles Lee Ray :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/13/00/49/16/chucky10.jpg

Marvel-ous

Oh, actually, I call them dolls. Goes to show how much I want to convince myself of anything.

Centrocal
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I can understand how having joints could throw off the appearance. I would want Hulk to blend in with the rest of the figures. Having too many joints would make it look like its just a Toy Biz figure, than whats the point.

Maybe he could be wearing a ripped shirt

Marvel-ous
02-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Imagine for a second a Hulk with the same type of body/quality as Hellboy...

Marvel-ous
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Maybe he could be wearing a ripped shirt

That is one hell of a great idea.

karamazov80
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Then you should stick with statues, IMO, because they don't even have neck, wrist, ankle, thigh, and/or knee joints that might force you to suspend your disbelief. Action figures are made to be posed--i.e. played around with. Otherwise, they would be statues.

plasmid303
02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
If the final HT Leonidas figure can really do this:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/album%202/HT_300_KingLeonidas_PR04.jpg

Then I think they can do a full-rubber upper body for Hulk.

Marvel-ous
Well, you can pose them, which is great for dio purposes to your liking, but as far as I'm concerned when I have found the perfect pose I leave the dolls alone.

Marvel-ous
If the final HT Leonidas figure can really do this:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/album%202/HT_300_KingLeonidas_PR04.jpg

Then I think they can do a full-rubber upper body for Hulk.

Exactly. Great example.

FLOSI
02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

I play with toys all the time.... In fact, this is a thread about toys! Imagine that... :rolleyes:

I voted joints, like Wolverine... a Massive green rubber body would be like a dust magnet. Also, if I'm going to shell out 250-300 for a 1/6 scale figure it had better not rot away and deteriorate in a few years time.

karamazov80
02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Well, you could do that pose with several figures. . .and risk their arms ripping. I'm not doing that with my HT, rubber armed figures (unless they have the cut joints). As such, they might as well be little statues/glorified "Bend-Ems".

plasmid303
02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, you could do that pose with several figures. . .and risk their arms ripping. I'm not doing that with my HT, rubber armed figures (unless they have the cut joints). As such, they might as well be little statues/glorified "Bend-Ems".

Well, that's the difference I was trying to spotlight. By even showing that pose (among others) in an official photo, HT is pretty much demonstrating the flexibility of the new suit and inviting us to attempt it. They wouldn't show it if it couldn't be done safely.

Trying a pose like that on the old rubber muscle bodies (i.e. Hellboy, Rambo) doesn't just present a risk of tearing, it presents a certainty.

karamazov80
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
They also said that that isn't the final version. But once it is released, if this new rubber body is all that, then I will be able to empathize with those who prefer the muscled bodies. However, I personally will still dislike having a bulky rubber body with a wire armature inside it.

daikkenaurora
02-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Muscles - No joints. Nuff said. HT... get to work.

Mookeylama
02-22-2010, 04:27 PM
i'm torn between the Dutch kinda bod and the full rubber deal. imagine the weight of a full solid rubber correct 1/6 scale Hulk lol. it's cost like 40 bucks to ship. i voted for full rubber, but more i think of it i'd like Dutch style better. more artic and i can handle just those couple joints

EVILFACE
02-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Imagine for a second a Hulk with the same type of body/quality as Hellboy...

Now imagine moving his arm for 10th or 16th time and the wire inside breaking and now the figure is worthless.

King Darkness
02-23-2010, 02:47 AM
The bulk of a Hulk figure made in the same fashion as Hellboy would make him nearly impossible to movie, it would basically be static. Even if handled like Dutch the bulky muscles on the arms would also make it nearly impossible to move. If you guys want static, no joint collectibles buy statues and/or PFs.

devilof76
02-23-2010, 03:01 AM
No contest...they HAVE to make sure there are no visible joints. I don't really care if this restrains its posing abilities.

A static sculpture with hidden joints that don't work will come off much cheaper looking than a fully articulated 'toy'.

King Darkness
02-23-2010, 03:05 AM
A Leonidas stlyed Hulk would just be a 10lb lump of static rubber. Why would anyone want that?

devilof76
02-23-2010, 03:24 AM
I have no clue. Because they hate toys? :dunno

creecher
02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
They may as well make him with six sets of arms and legs, all with some articulation, although limited, and able to be swapped over easily, to enable any number of poses.

In any case, if you want it to be able to be posed, it will need articulation and therefore exposed joints. Unless your pretty new to 1/6th scale collecting, you'll already have a number of figures you're happy with that have exposed joints and are able to deal with it in context. I don't see what's wrong with being retrograde in order to have a great figure with the minimum amount of problems.

devilof76
02-23-2010, 04:05 AM
There are plenty of ways to de-emphasize joints and maintain full articulation that don't involve resorting to rubber.

It would just seem silly to have Iron Man be able to do everything that figure is capable of and then have Hulk be as limited as a DC Direct figure.

Marvel-ous
02-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Now imagine moving his arm for 10th or 16th time and the wire inside breaking and now the figure is worthless.

10th or 16th time?

I pose the doll carefully, and let it be. No 10th or 16th time for me bro'.

hairlesswookiee
02-23-2010, 07:03 AM
rubber bodies suck... Sculpted arms with joints rock!!! :rock

^^^This. As long as its as detailed as the Wolverine figure I'll take this option.

meanstreak
02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Just like Wolverine but hella bigger and greener

uzumaki_1
02-23-2010, 08:36 AM
LOL. this is bull____. I started a post like this sometime ago and people got pissed off because their stupid asses thought that I was making an annoucement that Hot Toys will be bringing out a Hulk figure, even when I clearly titled the post saying they weren't. u nobheads lol. Anyways I'd want a full muscle suit. The Predator figure by Hot Toys looks damn good but when you see them joints then it just puts you off, very ugly them joints, AND they look so plasticly (if thats a real word). For the parts where the joints are they need to add extra rubber thats folded so when the arm for example is extended then the extra rubber will unfold out. Something like that wud be an idea. Also the Hulk has big fat muscles so hes not exactly gonna move and pose like Spiderman, so it wouldn't be hard for a full body suit to work, unless your posing your figs everyday.
Then again cut shoulder joints like Dutch would work very well as long as they try to keep the cuts in line with the muscles. So the cut is more rounded rather then a stright cut. The Dutch stye body will give equal amounts of poseability and realism.

Also @Flosi about your comment of "I play with toys all the time.... In fact, this is a thread about toys! Imagine that..." No, this is not a thread about toys. Hot Toys don't make toys, they make movie memorabilia. If you want toys then go buy 7" toys or DC direct stuff.

IronLungs31
02-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Considering that HT is just a figurine production company. They should make his body, so that it articulates.

galactiboy
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
The bulk of a Hulk figure made in the same fashion as Hellboy would make him nearly impossible to movie, it would basically be static. Even if handled like Dutch the bulky muscles on the arms would also make it nearly impossible to move. If you guys want static, no joint collectibles buy statues and/or PFs.

Exactly... this is the T-Rex figure which (I think) is the largest muscular body HT has produced. And while the arms look very good... it has very little poseability. The shoulders have a very small range of movement, and the elbows can bend fairly well to about 90 degrees back to straight. But that is it, the torso has no movement and basically what you see w/some small variation is what you get.

Also, the upper body is so heavy that the legs are unable to support his weight and w/o a stand he topples over :lol

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/trexb.jpg

Size comparison with another figure, and the two arms are in the opposite extreme of their poseability.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/trexj.jpg

Hulk would have to be even larger than this... maybe 2x the bulk and a few inches taller? No way it would work as a muscle body; might as well just buy a 1/6 statue.

Marvel-ous
02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm not settling for these easy arguments. If any company can do it (a full muscle body), then HT can.

galactiboy
02-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Sure if you want no poseability... but I think most 1/6 collectors prefer "action" in their action figures.

Marvel-ous
02-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Well, I wouldn't be expecting much movement from that type of a body anyway, so as long as it is as poseable as Hellboy (which is very reasonable), I'm all for it. Hopefully, HT will see it that way. A Hulk with joints would just look, well, a bit ridiculous.

galactiboy
02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
See my post about the T-Rex figure... that thing is not as poseable as Hellboy; not even close.

A Hulk would be bigger and unless their has been some quantum leap in rubber body techonology there is no way it would work. Leonidas is not much bigger than the old muscular body and you could get a lot out of those as long as you weren't afraid to break it.

uzumaki_1
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Sure if you want no poseability... but I think most 1/6 collectors prefer "action" in their action figures.

I don't think Hot Toys are an action figure company. There are no action poses where cheap and cheesy fireballs propel out from a spring loaded part on the arm. Thats my definition of an action figure. You play with it, there very poseable and they shoot pieces of crappy plastic around. I mean yes you want maximum poseability out of them but there made to pose rather then be an "action" figure.

galactiboy
02-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Action figures didn't always have gimics... they are just poseable figures. And; while HT doesn't have rocket firing figures... they do like using lights, extendable inner mouths (Alien) and opening compartments.

So, there is a lot of action; in their figures :lol

Centrocal
02-23-2010, 09:48 AM
They may as well make him with six sets of arms and legs, all with some articulation, although limited, and able to be swapped over easily, to enable any number of poses.

I really like this idea of having different arms to swap out. Maybe one set could be articulated like Dutch and the others could be in a fixed position. Hot Toys is already doing something like this with the T-800 so we know its possible.

Man imagine all the set ups we could create, Hulk vs Wolvie vs Iron Man vs Blade :lol

uzumaki_1
02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Action figures didn't always have gimics... they are just poseable figures. And; while HT doesn't have rocket firing figures... they do like using lights, extendable inner mouths (Alien) and opening compartments.

So, there is a lot of action; in their figures :lol

Yeah but there isnt any play value towards a light up feature, extendable parts (like the alien mouth) or opening compartments (br joker's grenade bag or predators medical kit/bomb detonation kit). These types of features are there for authenticity and being accurate rather then for the fun play factor. So there still regarded as poseable figures hence "....1/6th fully poseable figure...." words being used in the title of the figure and not "....1/6th action figure..." Anyways i'll shut up cause am drifting away from the topic.

Darkseed
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
A HUGE rubber body resembles:

http://crabfisher.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kenner_stretch_armstrong.jpg

Which is more ridiculous :D

Marvel-ous
02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
:D

But a HT Hulk would look nothing like that, of course. Man that does bring back memories though!

Darkseed
02-23-2010, 10:42 AM
:D

But a HT Hulk would look nothing like that, of course. Man that does bring back memories though!

True. Between the MJ Dlx discussion and the debate over visible joints the board has a lot of hostility today. I am adding humor to lighten the mood. :D

We all agree HT NEEDS to make a movie version Hulk. We differ which version and how it should be made. Truthfully an 18" Hulk from HT whether visible joints or not would be difficult to resist.

Marvel-ous
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
True. Between the MJ Dlx discussion and the debate over visible joints the board has a lot of hostility today. I am adding humor to lighten the mood. :D

We all agree HT NEEDS to make a movie version Hulk. We differ which version and how it should be made. Truthfully an 18" Hulk from HT whether visible joints or not would be difficult to resist.

Can you imagine if they could make protos of each type and then present them on their web site and ask us to vote which one makes it to the market? That would be awesome. Even if my preference didn't win, I would still love that process.

Darkseed
02-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Can you imagine if they could make protos of each type and then present them on their web site and ask us to vote which one makes it to the market? That would be awesome. Even if my preference didn't win, I would still love that process.

The poll up top is close, it would be interesting concept to say the least. The threads would go crazy.

Skiman
02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
If I was the maker I would hate it.

Darkseed
02-23-2010, 11:00 AM
If I was the maker I would hate it.

Skiman hate poll idea.....Skiman crush puny poll

Skiman
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Skiman hate poll idea.....Skiman crush puny poll

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Ra88
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
My main fear with a full rubber body is that it will detoriate in no time. I think that the last thing that anyone would want with this figure is a repeat of the Alien Warriors.

galactiboy
02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Funny think about the Aliens Warrior is that the plastic is what has really detiorated on a lot of them :lol The rubber bits on mine is fine, but the clear plastic joints have crumbled and are totally useless :lol

So far I've had no issues with the rubber bodies deteriorating.

Marvel-ous
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Funny think about the Aliens Warrior is that the plastic is what has really detiorated on a lot of them :lol The rubber bits on mine is fine, but the clear plastic joints have crumbled and are totally useless :lol

So far I've had no issues with the rubber bodies deteriorating.

Now that is just ironic.

uzumaki_1
02-24-2010, 08:50 AM
HAHA deteriorate !!!!!!!! Where do you keep your figures ? Outside in the sun with a magnifying glass over it ? How the hell does the rubber on your figures deteriorate...aint never heard of that...well apart from the DX Batman, but that was a production fault !

daikkenaurora
02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
HAHA deteriorate !!!!!!!! Where do you keep your figures ? Outside in the sun with a magnifying glass over it ? How the hell does the rubber on your figures deteriorate...aint never heard of that...well apart from the DX Batman, but that was a production fault !

It does happen. I remember hearing some issues with the Medicom Goku figure.

BrooklynWolf X
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
combo of joints and rubber like wolvie.

granted, having a 1/6 scale of the character itself is something to be amazed at. however, he is such a physically expressive character, not being able to pose him in dynamic and explosive poses would really limit to the overall presentation.

Hydeous
02-25-2010, 06:49 AM
rubber, like leonidas. Not like dutch's which has limited pose ability

Mr. Green
02-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Make 4 version...problems solve.

Marvel-ous
02-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Make 4 version...problems solve.

Simple, no? :D

antimatter
02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
This is a good poll.

Centrocal
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Wow we are really divided on this issue! :lol Makes me really wonder what they would actually end up doing. Ultimately poseability has priority over everything, there are already plenty of Hulk sculptures.