E-Readers, which one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which E-Reader do you think is the best?

• Total voters

BadMoon

Demi G0D Overseer
Reaction score
Yes Keith actually reads. :lol I have been thinking about purchasing an E-reader. It looks like there are 3 options out of all of them. That being the Kindle, Nook, or Ipad. I have been leaning towards the Nook. However, I have read some things about speed issues (that will be addressed with updates) and now we have the Ipad coming next month. I would love to go with an Ipad however it is twice the price. Also with the Ipad I don't think its made to have an "ink screen" that makes it easy on the eyes when reading. Can anyone share any insight on these? I don't know too much about them. I will also add a poll to this just for the hell of it. I will make it a public poll as well.

I'd say go with the Gameboy Advance version. It's a bit slower but the graphics are great. :)

ereader.jpg

Let me know if you end up getting one and how you like it. I've been debating getting my wife one for her bday in march.

I don't have time to read as much as I used to, so I may be willing to sell my mint Kindle. :wave

I don't have time to read as much as I used to, so I may be willing to sell my mint Kindle. :wave

Still leaning towards the nook. :lol

Just to update my original post. It turns out that they had a recent software update as of Feb 5th that addresses the speed issue I heard about.

Right now I'm all about the nook, but I'm not making any decisions until I get an iPad in my hands and test it out.

Also, there is a rumor that Amazon may be discounting or even giving away Kindles to Prime subscribers...

I wait for a bit.

Right now I'm all about the nook, but I'm not making any decisions until I get an iPad in my hands and test it out.

Also, there is a rumor that Amazon may be discounting or even giving away Kindles to Prime subscribers...

I wait for a bit.

Yeah, the iPad is interesting. I'm just not interested in the price. :lol

I wait for a bit.

Where have you heard this? I've been a subscriber to Prime since the beginning.

Kindle, and e-ink devices for that matter are overpriced for what they are. The iPad has a regular backlit LCD, so it may not be ideal for reading in long strides but there's no question that it's competition for the e-ink readers, and hopefully it will bring their prices down.

There are some new color e-paper technologies coming out later this year, so I would hold back from buying anything until it all sorts itself out.

Ideally I want something of an all-purpose tablet like the iPad but with an eye-friendly e-paper screen in color with fast refresh for video. That may still be a good 1-2 years away.

Kindle, and e-ink devices for that matter are overpriced for what they are. The iPad has a regular backlit LCD, so it may not be ideal for reading in long strides but there's no question that it's competition for the e-ink readers, and hopefully it will bring their prices down.

There are some new color e-paper technologies coming out later this year, so I would hold back from buying anything until it all sorts itself out.

Ideally I want something of an all-purpose tablet like the iPad but with an eye-friendly e-paper screen in color with fast refresh for video. That may still be a good 1-2 years away.

What would you want to read in color? I don't need anything fancy.

I don't know much about the nook but I voted for the IPad just cause it can do more. Which I personally wouldn't buy something that is just for ebooks. If not the IPad I would go for the kindle but again I don't know much about the nook.

What would you want to read in color? I don't need anything fancy.

Comic Books. I've played with a Kindle and a Nook and both have cons and pros. What sucks about the Kindle is that you have to either know someone that has one or actually buy one to get your hands on it. My brother got one for Xmas and I opened it up and took it for a test drive before he got it. It was pretty impressive, but the keyboard seemed a little awkward. The speed was fine, as well as the menu system once you figured everything out.

Nook, well I've played with it several times as I go to Barnes and Noble at least once a week. I'm NOT impressed with it so far. Very slow, and hopefully the firmware/software update takes care of that. The color Nav. menu on the bottom is a great idea, but looks a little out of place IMO.

iPad, this is the one I'm getting. As a proclaimed Apple fanboy, I'm not ashamed to admit I like to buy their gadgets. The iPad seems to do everything I'm looking for in one nice piece of hardware. The book reader is what sold it for me because I've also been looking to buy a reader for a while now. The color screen is a nice touch as the backlit screen sounds perfect for reading at night rather than having all the lights on. (This way I don't have to wake the GF when I can't sleep and decide to do some reading) Whether or not this will be good for the eyes....I have no clue. I've heard the backlit screen will cause extra eyestrain, I've heard it will help prevent eyestrain, and I've heard it will cause cancer. (J/K, but what doesn't cause cancer anymore?)

Book Stores...right now according to Wiki, Amazon has 20k books available for purchase, Nook will reportedly have 400k (including many of the free classic books), and not much has been reported about the iBooks store other than they will support .epub format which with proper searching has many,many free sources of books.

I say definitely do the research and try to test drive them all before deciding which one to buy and try to find the best deal on them.

Comic Books. I've played with a Kindle and a Nook and both have cons and pros. What sucks about the Kindle is that you have to either know someone that has one or actually buy one to get your hands on it. My brother got one for Xmas and I opened it up and took it for a test drive before he got it. It was pretty impressive, but the keyboard seemed a little awkward. The speed was fine, as well as the menu system once you figured everything out.

Nook, well I've played with it several times as I go to Barnes and Noble at least once a week. I'm NOT impressed with it so far. Very slow, and hopefully the firmware/software update takes care of that. The color Nav. menu on the bottom is a great idea, but looks a little out of place IMO.

iPad, this is the one I'm getting. As a proclaimed Apple fanboy, I'm not ashamed to admit I like to buy their gadgets. The iPad seems to do everything I'm looking for in one nice piece of hardware. The book reader is what sold it for me because I've also been looking to buy a reader for a while now. The color screen is a nice touch as the backlit screen sounds perfect for reading at night rather than having all the lights on. (This way I don't have to wake the GF when I can't sleep and decide to do some reading) Whether or not this will be good for the eyes....I have no clue. I've heard the backlit screen will cause extra eyestrain, I've heard it will help prevent eyestrain, and I've heard it will cause cancer. (J/K, but what doesn't cause cancer anymore?)

Book Stores...right now according to Wiki, Amazon has 20k books available for purchase, Nook will reportedly have 400k (including many of the free classic books), and not much has been reported about the iBooks store other than they will support .epub format which with proper searching has many,many free sources of books.

I say definitely do the research and try to test drive them all before deciding which one to buy and try to find the best deal on them.

Thanks! Yeah I heard about the nooks speed. Apparently though they just had a recent update that addresses that and they have more to come. Apparently they rushed to get them out by Christmas and the software just wasn't ready. I'm going to check it out after work. Although I have to admit the Ipad has me interested. I just don't know if I want to spend that kind of cash. However, since I have a Mac it may be a fun investment. I just don't know. Maybe I will get both! :lol

Yeah if you have a Mac, the iPad will have great compatibility. I know right now the bluetooth keyboard will work on day one. I just need the carrying case, Screen Protector, and USB camera adapter kit.

I agree. Having seen some people test drive the ipad I can tell it would NOT be a device I would use as an e-reader. It's just not eye friendly right now. Maybe in the future that will be fixed/addressed but until then an ipad is just not up to suff with what an e-reader should be IMO (at least not for avid readers).

Amazon has 20k books available for purchase, Nook will reportedly have 400k (including many of the free classic books), and not much has been reported about the iBooks store other than they will support .epub format which with proper searching has many,many free sources of books.

You also have to remember that the iPhone/iPod right now have the "Kindle from Amazon" app which will be available on the iPad and if those particular books aren't opened up on release day there is that option as well. I read eBooks on my iPhone now and love it, the only complaint is that its a bit small so the iPad will work fantastically. Couple that with the fact I already know the iPhone OS and love it, it makes the iPad the only choice.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/5u8MY7PjSXU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/5u8MY7PjSXU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back