Any Blurays to avoid/wait for a better release?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPrime

Super Freak
Reaction score
So yeah, I only recently made the jump to HD...

I was just wondering if some transfers were a bit disappointing, and maybe done too quickly to the new format? Or is this not an issue?

So yeah, I only recently made the jump to HD...

I was just wondering if some transfers were a bit disappointing, and maybe done too quickly to the new format? Or is this not an issue?

I've heard Gladiator was pretty bad.

SnakeDoc

Thanks, I'll definitely avoid Gladiator... although I find the film a little depressing, it's not one I can watch over and over, as good as it is.

Any problems with some of the sci-fi classics like Terminator, T2, Predator (already bought it, so hopefully not - I thought it looked pretty good though!), etc?

I can vouch for Star Trek and The Dark Knight ... but those are the only two I've got.

SnakeDoc

I know exactly what the TC means. I bought a ton of blu-rays after getting my PS3, but have since decided to be a lot pickier. But for me, it's not so much the picture quality, it's the absence of extras. The following is just a partial list of movies currently available on blu-ray that have none, or just a few of the extras that you'd find on the regular DVD release.

The Terminator
Predator
The Thing (which is odd, because the HD-DVD version had all the extras)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Snakes on a Plane
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Silent Hill
Fantastic Four
The Scorpion King

I've since learned to check the back of the package to see what extras are included, then compare that to the regular DVD release before handing over my money. To me, a better picture isn't worth losing all those extras.

What? The blu-ray has many extras, including the commentary and so on. What did the hd-dvd had besides that?

Considerably more.

This post on the Amazon.com website sums it up perfectly:

"*Update* Universal has said in its promotional material that this release will include the extra material from the current DVD, but according to the early reviews, that isn't true. First, here are the special features announced in the main press release:

-- audio commentary with star Kurt Russell and director John Carpenter
-- U Control Picture in Picture
-- U Control tutorial
-- BD-Live

In addition, most of the 84-minute making-of documentary from the older DVD has been incorporated into the Picture in Picture (PIP) feature, meaning that you watch it in pieces in a window along with the movie. The rest of the special features from the older DVD aren't included. Just as a reminder of what those old features are, missing here:

-- outtakes
-- deleted stop-motion animation
-- work-in-progress visual effects footage
-- behind-the-scenes location footage
-- behind-the-scenes photos
-- storyboard and conceptual art
-- annotated production archive
-- original theatrical trailer

Again, those are old features that Universal has *not* included on the Blu-ray. "

Did they ever fix the Back to the Future blu-rays? I know there was a problem with the original releases.

Did they ever fix the Back to the Future blu-rays? I know there was a problem with the original releases.

Did you pick those up with your time machine, Dave? ;)

I don't know if the DVDs were ever corrected in stores. I got mine replacement through the mail.

Considerably more.

This post on the Amazon.com website sums it up perfectly:

"*Update* Universal has said in its promotional material that this release will include the extra material from the current DVD, but according to the early reviews, that isn't true. First, here are the special features announced in the main press release:

-- audio commentary with star Kurt Russell and director John Carpenter
-- U Control Picture in Picture
-- U Control tutorial
-- BD-Live

In addition, most of the 84-minute making-of documentary from the older DVD has been incorporated into the Picture in Picture (PIP) feature, meaning that you watch it in pieces in a window along with the movie. The rest of the special features from the older DVD aren't included. Just as a reminder of what those old features are, missing here:

-- outtakes
-- deleted stop-motion animation
-- work-in-progress visual effects footage
-- behind-the-scenes location footage
-- behind-the-scenes photos
-- storyboard and conceptual art
-- annotated production archive
-- original theatrical trailer

Again, those are old features that Universal has *not* included on the Blu-ray. "

Those features *are* on The Thing blu-ray, region B (maybe they didn't released them on region A, though it sounds strange).

Isn't their a website that gives pretty accurate reviews of BluRay quality? I'm very uniformed about this as well :lol

Gangs of New York (a remastered version JUST came out)
The Fifth Element (make sure to get the remastered)
Gladiator (let's hope a new one comes out)

Back