The All Things Republic Commando Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the dude person

Super Freak
Reaction score
I thought we needed a nice new thread for all things Republic Commando:the game itself,modding of the game, the books, and custom fan-made squads/ fan fictions, etc. Since it involves more than just the game, thought this thread would sit nicely in the star wars section not the video games section...

I myself have forrayed into modding the game on the PC many times, and have even come up with my own new squad (complete with new names, numbers and paintjobs in-game)...

As for the KT novels (which are now cancelled or whatever :cuss), I have only read "Order 66" and thought it was pretty good...

I just think Commandos are awesome!

Here, people can post images of Photoshopped custom commandos, any custom artwork, or screenshots of mods to the game, or just ask questions about the commandos' stroyline or how to mod the game... or just discuss the general awesomeness that is...
SWRC.jpg

and I know the game is almost 5 years old now, but I am still loving how many different ways it can be modded... and even by itself, it's still one of the best SW games I've ever played.

OK, let's get this thread started....
BossScreen1.jpg

Shoulldn't this be in the game section?

I am kidding. I really want Sideshow to do the Commandos in 1:6 scale. But there are a few things that I do not like about them. Their armor, though very cool-looking, is sort of cumbersome. And I don't like the design of their blasters...at least the ones that came with the Hasro offerings.

I would kill for Sideshow to make 1:6 Commandoes. I loved the game when it came out and I think Karen Traviss' books are some of the best Star Wars material put on print. Not to mention they are just good plan ole military fiction.

Really wish I could afford a set of 1:1 armor.:monkey2

I would kill for Sideshow to make 1:6 Commandoes. I loved the game when it came out and I think Karen Traviss' books are some of the best Star Wars material put on print. Not to mention they are just good plan ole military fiction.

Really wish I could afford a set of 1:1 armor.:monkey2

:lecture:lecture:lecture She really didn't write a single bad Star Wars novel and really enabled the reader to identify with her characters be them Jedi or clones. I picked it up the day it was released, but I've been avoiding reading Imperial Commandos to abstain from complete and total disappointment (at the lack of a follow-up).

:lecture:lecture:lecture She really didn't write a single bad Star Wars novel and really enabled the reader to identify with her characters be them Jedi or clones. I picked it up the day it was released, but I've been avoiding reading Imperial Commandos to abstain from complete and total disappointment (at the lack of a follow-up).

I agree, I loved her work in the Star Wars Universe. I'm finishing up Order 66 right now myself.

Order 66 was good in its own way. I really feel that she had an absolutely awesome genre taken away from her. Lucasfilm or whoever, made a big mistake by stepping on her creative talent. Matter of fact. I bet she could have really contributed to the clone wars series and the upcoming live action show.

loooooooooooove these books. karen traviss = all kinds of awesome. her gears of war novels are pretty good also. i like a couple of stover's sw novels as well but traviss is by far my favorite sw author. i really hope the commandos show up in some form or fashion in the clone wars cartoon. doesn't have to be anyone specifically but i would love to see a clone-centric, special forces behind the lines episode (or three). but the mandalore of the cartoon, while well done, kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth after the depth, feeling and humanity she gave the culture in the books.

Order 66 was good in its own way. I really feel that she had an absolutely awesome genre taken away from her. Lucasfilm or whoever, made a big mistake by stepping on her creative talent. Matter of fact. I bet she could have really contributed to the clone wars series and the upcoming live action show.

It's safe to say, anybody who saw the episode with the AWOL clone living with the Twi' Lek family, knows she already has. That episode looked like it was ripped right out of one of her books.

It's safe to say, anybody who saw the episode with the AWOL clone living with the Twi' Lek family, knows she already has. That episode looked like it was ripped right out of one of her books.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

wouldn't surprise me if dave filoni has read them either. in a couple commentaries for season one, he even referenced specific issues of the republic comic.

great episode. but i'm partial to anything that deals with the clones.

Last edited:

True enough. She did coin the free clone thing. But, if they were going to do Mandalorians. They really should have given here the meat and potatoes of it. From the way it looked to me she had done so much hard work in creating an actual lfestyle for them. Even going so far as greating several hundered words in their language.

I just hate to see her good ideas, pretty much forgotten about.

True enough. She did coin the free clone thing. But, if they were going to do Mandalorians. They really should have given here the meat and potatoes of it. From the way it looked to me she had done so much hard work in creating an actual lfestyle for them. Even going so far as greating several hundered words in their language.

I just hate to see her good ideas, pretty much forgotten about.

Yep. Regardless of what happened, whether LFL pimpslapped her with the series continuity, or modified it a small fraction and she selfishly threw a tantrum, her creative talent will be missed. Personally, I always thought her novels would've made a great addition to the CW series, beit a mini series or movie.

Well seeing as how the CW Mando's are presented thus far...i dont think it was a small modification which caused her to stop writing...they could just have been some new human group, but they had to use the word "mandalorian" to get fan attention, so sad really :(

Did she throw a fit and storm out...only LucasBooks/DelRay/RandomHouse/Traviss knows for sure...its just sad that she wasnt allowed to complete her story because some hack wanted to play around with a race which is held so close to so many fans hearts, pro-dominantly due to Traviss' stories...

I still find it rather funny that they bought her in to write Clone Wars series based books, knowing she'd pull from her Commando novels as well for the Clones, only to pull a "continuity" change on her thus making the last 8 years or so (best guess) of her life a waste of time...I'd have thrown a fit or two myself if that had been done to me

Also...interesting side note - does this mean that her portions of the Legacy of the Force novels are no longer applicable? Not to mention the finale of the New Jedi Order series (it contained Mando's as we knew them before CW diddled with them)

I think I would have thrown a fit for sure. It would feel to me that I wasted my time. I am sure that she will continue to write good books. I hear that her Gears of War books are good. I will just miss the characters and her writing style. I think that she brought a somewhat realistic military feel to it. Well, as real as the content would allow.

Agreed Gus...

She bought a sence of realistic military practice to her novels, from her experience as a war corrispondant...

I liked her RC books because they were more gritty, "down to earth" and less about the Jedi being infalable (sp?) than the Jedi centric books (tho i am eager to get the next installment of Fate of the Jedi, as it deals with the OT EU :D)

Not read her gears of war books as i'm not a fan of the games, tho one of my friends who's got all her current GoW books says they are amazing...

Anyone have any RC game mods to post?

I made the 501st! :D
501stscreen1.jpg

(modeled a new helmet, textured it myself! Retextured a helmet-less reg. clone and put my helmet on it...)

what do you guys think?

And hows the pauldron on the front guy there, I know it looks like it's glowing (too much light shining on it), but does it look good otherwise?

Did the Phase 2 501st even have pauldrons? They didn't show any during ROTS and that seems to be the helmet you're going with.

pretty sure commander Appo did...

kinda thought I'd mix the ROTS style pauldron with the Arc Trooper style pauldron from the original clone wars...

I think all divisions of Phase II clones had pauldrons for the higher-ups...

OH and I already modeled/textured a stormtrooper helmet, so I might try to paint some blue on the texture map and make it a stormtrooper commander from Force Unleashed (which I am currently playing)

Last edited:
Well seeing as how the CW Mando's are presented thus far...i dont think it was a small modification which caused her to stop writing...they could just have been some new human group, but they had to use the word "mandalorian" to get fan attention, so sad really
not having yet seen the clone wars mandos- here in the UK i not sure exactly what the changes are and i've heard some different things on different sites- but it seems to be the greatest thing travis did- ironically was to try and sort out all hte bullsh@t contunity problems with her writing- and then lucas(film) kick her legs out!!

anyone else have any comments about the 501st legion clones I made in RC? :monkey3

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for another Karen Traviss Republic Commando book to read, anyone have any suggestions? Which one do you guys think is the best?

Back