Just watched Serenity - wow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scriff

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just finished watching Serenity for the first time on DVD as I didn't see it in the cinema - didn't know about Firefly until just recently.

I thought it was great, and I hope SSC or someone does some nice collectibles for this great series and show.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Scriff

scriff said:
Hi all,
I just finished watching Serenity for the first time on DVD as I didn't see it in the cinema - didn't know about Firefly until just recently.

I thought it was great, and I hope SSC or someone does some nice collectibles for this great series and show.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Scriff

I thought it was pretty good...actually haven't seen all of the episodes, but I liked the series too. I was a little bitter towards it though because I'm still under the impression that DARK ANGEL got the axe so they could make it. That made me a little resentful towards it without ever seeing it. :mad:

jdonoho said:
I thought it was pretty good...actually haven't seen all of the episodes, but I liked the series too. I was a little bitter towards it though because I'm still under the impression that DARK ANGEL got the axe so they could make it. That made me a little resentful towards it without ever seeing it. :mad:

That's what turned me off Firefly initially too. I didn't watch it at all when it aired, because I loved Dark Angel. Speaking of which, there's a line I'd love to see in sixth scale...Dark Angel.

Josette said:
That's what turned me off Firefly initially too. I didn't watch it at all when it aired, because I loved Dark Angel. Speaking of which, there's a line I'd love to see in sixth scale...Dark Angel.

no...FIREFLY!

I'd like both....but if it came down to it, I'd end up choosing DA. :cool:

Never did get into buffy or the rest, so firefly was my introduction to Joss Wheedon. I just loved the firefly series, the Serenity movie, and hope that more from this franchise is made!

Scriff

Dark Angel got 2 seasons at least. I watched the show because Alba is just so....watchable. But it was never great shakes in the writing department. Fox has a habit of cancelling shows that become cult phenomenas though.

A Dark Angel line would be a stretch if it went over three or four figures. Including two Alba variants.

Firefly is good for a dozen solid figures at least.

Of course, if it came right down to it, I'd buy a Sideshow Alba before anything else.

I picked up the Firefly DVDs and watched them in anticipation of the movie, which I saw in theaters. I have to admit that I am less interested in seeing a sequel after the lifestyle changes experienced by my two favorite characters.

tomandshell said:
I picked up the Firefly DVDs and watched them in anticipation of the movie, which I saw in theaters. I have to admit that I am less interested in seeing a sequel after the lifestyle changes experienced by my two favorite characters.
who would they be?

I am trying to avoid spoilers...

My two favorite characters are Wash (the funniest) and Book (the most mysterious). Sure, River has a mysterious past, but it was always pretty obvious to me what had happened to her, and the film did with her exactly what I expected. With Book, there were some great hints dropped along the way, and I was looking forward to delving into his past in greater detail. Ultimately, the movie advanced his character in a way that I was not happy with. Same with Wash--his relationship with Mal and Zoe was central to my enjoyment of the show. Changing the dynamic of that relationship would make future installements less interesting for me.

Granted, I can understand why Joss made the decisions he did, but that doesn't make it all enjoyable for me. I would rather have had no movie if it meant I was free to imagine what was next for these characters. Instead, Joss has advanced the story in a way that I didn't care for. Much the same for people who were let down by the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy--the story that they had in their head surpassed the one that ended up on screen.

I'm a huge fan of Serenity, but I've never been able to get into Buffy. I've watched quite a few episodes and it just doesn't click with me. I don't know why. It's one of those shows I wished I liked, if that makes sense.

I would love 12" Serenity figures. The Diamond Select figures weren't that great.

tomandshell said:
I am trying to avoid spoilers...

My two favorite characters are Wash (the funniest) and Book (the most mysterious). Sure, River has a mysterious past, but it was always pretty obvious to me what had happened to her, and the film did with her exactly what I expected. With Book, there were some great hints dropped along the way, and I was looking forward to delving into his past in greater detail. Ultimately, the movie advanced his character in a way that I was not happy with. Same with Wash--his relationship with Mal and Zoe was central to my enjoyment of the show. Changing the dynamic of that relationship would make future installements less interesting for me.

Granted, I can understand why Joss made the decisions he did, but that doesn't make it all enjoyable for me. I would rather have had no movie if it meant I was free to imagine what was next for these characters. Instead, Joss has advanced the story in a way that I didn't care for. Much the same for people who were let down by the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy--the story that they had in their head surpassed the one that ended up on screen.

River and Kaylee are my faves:D I thought Joss did a great job in continuing the sotry. But really you gotta blame that network called fox for cancelling, then (no one would have died) At least not for awhile. And we would have learnt about book's past and Inaras and what shes possible running from. But Fox ruined that by cancelling it and Joss had to go at the story a different way to fit in with the movie format.

I'm a huge fan of Serenity, but I've never been able to get into Buffy. I've watched quite a few episodes and it just doesn't click with me. I don't know why. It's one of those shows I wished I liked, if that makes sense.

I'm kinda the reverse in that I love Buffy and because Whedon was the creator I was very willing to give Firefly a chance. I think ended up watching parts of 3 episodes before I gave up. I didn't care about main character, seemed like a rip off of Han Solo. The doctor was a stiff, his sister a bore, Gina Torres was okay but one dimensional, her husband was pretty good and I liked the gal engineer, esp because she was cute. :banana The other guy that's always complaining was only there for the occasional joke but they mostly just seemed like bitter humorless people. I did appreciate some of the humor, I didn't "hate" the show, but it just wasn't worth my time to watch it. Tried to watch Dark Angel and don't think I ever got through an episode of that. Yes, Jessica Alba is very hot. No, she cannot act worth a damn. That's just MHO.

If it was the real world, we could say that their deaths sucked and that they couldn't contribute anymore, yadda yadda.

But this is fiction and theatrical fiction at that, and because of that there are countless means that a writer/director can take to bring characters back into the fold, flashbacks, dream sequences, etc. (I have no doubt that Book and Wash would have had parts in a sequel.)

But even beyond that, I think the deaths of Wash and Book enhance the storylines those characters participated in. At the end of Serenity Mal asks Zoe how she'll fly. Her grief is now a plot point and a much stronger one than her happiness with Wash ever was on the show or in the film. I'm not dissing Wash, but his character's role in the overall scheme is stronger with him dead than alive. As a writer its easy to split up his humorous bits to other characters, but to manufacture the pang that the other characters now feel is a lot harder to do without the loss that Wash (and Book's) death cause.

As far as Book goes...the most interesting and mysterious parts of his character was behind him, not in front. So killing him off doesn't change that mystery one bit. In fact it enlargens it. When Mal tells him he has to explain his story, Book simply replies, "No I don't." Now with him gone, the crew is free to search into his past and discover some amazing and alarming stuff without the obstacle of a living Book would present.

Don't get me wrong, the deaths were heart wrenching, but you have to view them as bits to an overall greater story. Its a shame we'll never see it play out.

Re: Just watched Serenity - wow! **SPOILERS**

Joss has said that the reason for the killings was because 9 characters was just too unwieldy and he wanted to trim down the cast list for possible sequels.

And I think the Firefly universe is a bit more grounded in reality than Buffy/Angel where people can return from the dead without too much trouble.

I've just finished the seventh season of Buffy and I must say I was blown away. It took me nearly to the middle of season 2 (when Angel turns) for me to start liking it. And it took me to the end of season 3 to start NEEDING to watch it. WIth the exception of "King Kong", I've watched little else for the past few months. Who needs those pretentious, Oscar bait pony shows (yeah, I'm talking Brokeback Mountain) when you can have Buffy!

What Whedon and company did with that show... the plot twists... the character arcs... to IMAGINE the story layers he would have added to Firefly, it truly makes me want to cry.:eek:

Now... on to Angel, I start the DVDs rolling this weekend!:wacky

Protozaius said:
I've just finished the seventh season of Buffy and I must say I was blown away. It took me nearly to the middle of season 2 (when Angel turns) for me to start liking it. And it took me to the end of season 3 to start NEEDING to watch it. WIth the exception of "King Kong", I've watched little else for the past few months. Who needs those pretentious, Oscar bait pony shows (yeah, I'm talking Brokeback Mountain) when you can have Buffy!

What Whedon and company did with that show... the plot twists... the character arcs... to IMAGINE the story layers he would have added to Firefly, it truly makes me want to cry.:eek:

Now... on to Angel, I start the DVDs rolling this weekend!:wacky

And thats exactly how it should be. I think EVERYONE who watched it was gooked from Innocence onwards. That episode changed my whole thinking of tv shows. I never knew I could love a show that much.

I loved Serenity from beggining to end. I think I've seen it about seven times now, and it has easily become an instant favorite of mine and my kids. I'm crossing my fingers for a sequel.

Yeah, I have to admit that when the show first aired I was not all that big a fan. I think I gave it three episodes and it just did not grab me. I think a big part of that was some of the other shows I was watching at the time.

In retrospect it has been a delight to go back and watch all of the episodes back to back and then to see the movie.

This is a show that I would love to see continue is one form or another.

My wife picked up the movie on DVD last week for me for Valentines Day!

Back