Break in your Plasma Tv ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chaver

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this, so called, "seasoning" or "Breaking in" your Plasma for the first 200 hrs, method before ?? I've been reading about it and frankly I find it ridiculous that you would have to this to a Tv before you can use high conrtast and brightness. Especially since the instructions do not tell you to do this. The guys up at BestBuy told me that you don't need to do it with the new Plasma's.

So what's the deal. Break in, or no break in??

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of this, so called, "seasoning" or "Breaking in" your Plasma for the first 200 hrs, method before ?? I've been reading about it and frankly I find it ridiculous that you would have to this to a Tv before you can use high conrtast and brightness. Especially since the instructions do not tell you to do this. The guys up at BestBuy told me that you don't need to do it with the new Plasma's.

So what's the deal. Break in, or no break in??

Someone on another thread talked about this. From what I've read, you don't have to do it for the new Plasmas. If it doesn't say it in the instructions, then you don't have to do it. The older plasmas had it in the instructions.

New plasmas you have to get Inglorious Basterds on Blu-Ray, throw it the player and kick back with a nice medium steak and a cold Pepsi.

Someone on another thread talked about this. From what I've read, you don't have to do it for the new Plasmas. If it doesn't say it in the instructions, then you don't have to do it. The older plasmas had it in the instructions.

Well that's good to here. But I swear there are some that say you still need to do it.

Well that's good to here. But I swear there are some that say you still need to do it.

Maybe they're just ones that say better safe than sorry. They heard about it and thought it couldn't hurt.

IMO, it really doesn't make sense.

Yeah, you really don't need to do this for newer plasmas, and most of them now have screen wipes and pixel shifts/orbiters to prevent/reduce/fix image retention or burn in. Sadly, the Pioneer I bought a few years ago was the model before these features were implemented =(

That's why I buy LCD TVs.

Yeah, that's the only reason why LCDs outshine plasmas, but a few years ago, the picture quality of plasmas were far superior to LCDs. I hated how the black levels of LCDs were so poor.

But now, the LED LCDs are really changing that. Blacks are much better, but now there are blooming issues. I can't wait until OLED sets become bigger and affordable.

ween's got a point. the newer plasmas are much less susceptible to image retention. however, ALL plasma technology new or old is prone to this issue.

the real issue is the uneven wear of the pixels. for example, if u watch a lot of widescreen movies, there will constantly be black bars along the top & bottom of the screen. the rest of the screen will wear (or season) normally, whereas the black areas will not get seasoned equally, simply because they are not being lit up.

each pixel is lit up by inert gases like xenon to create a plasma gas (hence the name). it is this gas that creates the colour/picture. so when some pixels wear out faster than others, over time it becomes visible to the naked eye in the form of image retention (eg: shadow of the black bars even while you're watching full-screen images, or ghost of tv station logos).

i'd suggest u do run a "seasoning" period for your plasma. at least that's what the tech geeks on the AV forum i hang out at advise me to do.

it's worth the effort, cos not only do u prevent i.r. apparently the colours will be more vibrant and crisp.

hope this helps.

Yeah not really necessary according to the "experts" but i was taking no chances so i just ran everything around 50 for the first 100-200 hrs.

Yeah not really necessary according to the "experts" but i was taking no chances so i just ran everything around 50 for the first 100-200 hrs.

Did the same with both of mine just to be safe.

never broke mine in. Never had any problems.
Even left games paused for 2hrs before and absolutely zero image burn/ghosting... :monkey1

IMO newer plasmas dont have problems with image burning or ghosting etc unless you are buying a cheapo model/brand.

The reason I 'would' break in the plasma set is to get the phosphors in the tv to it's maximum potential contrast/color capability quicker. Sort of like breaking in an engine on a new car.

I set my plasma up with the settings for the 'burn in time' of 200hrs and never changed them. They are perfect for my viewing pleasure.

My TV also had a menu that told you how many hours you'd used it. So track the 200hrs was easy.

My friend didn't do so with his plasma and he does get a bit of a burnt in image when watching TV that has a static white area... like the football score, etc.

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

I set my plasma up with the settings for the 'burn in time' of 200hrs and never changed them. They are perfect for my viewing pleasure.

My TV also had a menu that told you how many hours you'd used it. So track the 200hrs was easy.

My friend didn't do so with his plasma and he does get a bit of a burnt in image when watching TV that has a static white area... like the football score, etc.

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

Burn or just retention? on my panasonic that was broken in it gets mild retetion with the score but that goes within mins of watching a show without logos.

I know LED/LCD technology is catching up if not already equal to Plasma, but im a Plasma fan until it is proven obsolete.

Plasma for me also if i get 3D i'll probably get Plasma again i have an LCD and it's good but my plasma gives the better picture. :rock

i get retention on mine fighteningly fast, but it always goes after a minute or so of moving images

I have a Pioneer Plasma.

I did the 150 burn in with the "hot" settings.

I have literally never seen even temporary image retention on it, even after accidentally leaving my TiVo paused for 2 1/2 hours!!!

Spending that much on the TV, I was taking every precaution to get the best performance out of it, whether the manual suggests it or not.

Even though it took a lot of self control to not watch it for those first 150 hours, I have no regrets.

Even if it didn't make any difference, it made me feel good.

After the break in period, I set my TV to "Movie" mode.

If you are using "Dynamic" or "Vivid" on your TV you are missing out on what your TV is capable of... regardless of the manufacturer.

If you were in a movie theater and the screen was emitting the equivalent of "Vivid" mode you would run out of the theater screaming: "AAAAHHHHHH, MY EYES!!!!" :google:horror:google:horror

Why do that to your yourself in your living room?

Do some online research on recommended settings for your TV and then tweak them to taste. Or better yet, invest in a professional calibration. GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR TV. Find out what natural colors look like!!!!

Last edited:
Back