CHEWBACCA 1/6th -- is it possible? Ideas?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Reaction score
There has been a lot of chat about this for a long time (well, three months anyway). 15 inches fully furred (no wry comments please). Can it be done? Well, here's a possible example:

View attachment 510

Close, isn't it? A friend of mine furred a VOTC Chewie and I "styled" him. For Sideshow, obviously the fur is the trick. A furred suit is one way to go, but that doesn't solve furring the face (unless Sideshow really does make a "mask" to go over the standard head). Unlikely, cool, but unlikely. So, how could you do an economical furring? As the Sideshow masters work diligently on this issue, I thought the customizers out there might want to shout out an idea or two that could help us all get our Chewie.

Nice custom kitbash.

It most certainly can be done but how will SSC pull off a good likeness of Chewie and keep it financially possible for collectors at the same time?

This may be a tough one for the creative wizards at SSC but I'm confident they'll come up with a solution.

Tough to have Han without his trusty copilot ...

He looks great! Pulling this figure off will be a huge challenge for Sideshow but I hope they can do it...

How long did it take to make if I may ask?

If Chewie never materialized this might be a fun project for us all to tackle.

Rugby1970 said:
He looks great! Pulling this figure off will be a huge challenge for Sideshow but I hope they can do it...

How long did it take to make if I may ask?

If Chewie never materialized this might be a fun project for us all to tackle.

It took my friend (I'll just call him MM) a little over a week to put the fur on. I doubt he worked 24/7 but I'll check with him to see how many man hours went into it. Once I got him, the styling of the hair took me a couple hours or so to get right -- I pretty much used real hair products to shape and shag the fur. I should post a pic of the figure as it arrived to me and then after the styling, so you can get an idea of how tricky the hair can be. I imagine Sideshow is also dealing with how to shape the hair, then keep it in that Chewie style while its placed in the box and shipped to your door. Twist ties or plastic trays will undoubtly reshape the hair... and not for the better.

That is a beautiful custom! Well done. Love the fur colorization!

I can't quite look at Chewy the same after what happened to him on Conan the other night though. (Don't ask. If you saw it you know what I mean. If not, there's no words to do it justice.)

I think no matter what SSC puts out, most of us will be obliged to tweak it one way or another. He's not going to come out of the box perfect.

Hey Customikey.. please don't be offened becasue I am just messing with ya but I just have to say that every time I see that avatar of yours for some reason I picture you jumping out from behind the bushes and taking halloween candy from kids. :wacky

Last edited:
madden821 said:
Hey Customikey.. please don't be offened becasue I am just messing with ya but I just have to say that every time I see that avatar of yours for some reason I picture you jumping out from behind the bushes and taking halloween candy from kids. :wacky

Did you have me followed? :devil

I sincerely hope that Sideshow's 12" Chewie has faux-fur. I would hate to get another Hasblo-like hard plastic turd Chewie, regardless of how well the sculpt is.

As for the PF, it's a given that at that scale it HAS to have faux-fur. If/when this one comes out, depending on how good it looks, I may then pick up a PF Han.

Nice custom. Somehow I picture your dog walking around with missing patches of hair. :horror

I think Sideshow can pull this off. The cost of the figure itself is another story. I say around $99.

I will pay whatever it takes (well almost ;)) to get a furred chewie from Sideshow.

It'll be tough, that much is for sure. And I know if they ever do it, we will no doubt share ideas on how to get the fur just right. If the packaging does bad things to fabric one can only imagine what it would do to poor ol' chewie!

Here's hoping that SSC finds a way to do it, as the Star Wars line would be pretty sad without it's resident walking carpet.

Back