Easy fix for PF Vader's "Red" light effects

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
If you are tired of the purple-ish colored lights on Vader, here is an easy fix I decided to do to mine since I already had this paint on hand.

If you have a local hobby store see if they carry Tamiya Acrylic Paints and get the Clear Red X-27. This will provide a red color that is transparent and allow for the lights to still shine through the paint. It looks like that is what Sideshow did but with one poorly applied coat.

Also, pick up a fine point brush and a slightly wider brush for the big chest box light. With the fine brush, you can get into the coin slot lights and the side of the buttons on the belt (can be a little difficult with the arm position of Vader) It might be easier to get the "coin slots" by laying Vader on his back. I haven't got quite that far yet.

Apply a coat of paint and let it dry. Turn the lights on and check for the desired effect. Apply additional coats as needed until you get the desired red light effects.

Then sit back and enjoy!

I'm no expert but wouldn't the heat of the lights cause the paint to crack over time?

Yogie Bear said:
I'm no expert but wouldn't the heat of the lights cause the paint to crack over time?

LED's generate minimal amounts of heat. The lights would have to be on for an extended period to generate much heat but that shouldn't effect the paint.

If you are tired of the purple-ish colored lights on Vader

The only thing I'm tired of is waiting for them to ship it to me...

And I would be absolutely terrified to turn my artistic skills loose on any of my Sideshow products for "improvements." Goodness knows what would happen! If I am that bothered by the purple light, I will live with it rather than risk screwing it up even further. But as for those who are braver than myself, I'm sure they appreciate your very helpful instructions! Sounds like you know what you're doing. Do you have a picture of your modified Vader? It would be neat to see a comparison.

A quick picture that shows the difference between the "coin slots" and the touched up red button on the chestbox.

Natrix said:
A quick picture that shows the difference between the "coin slots" and the touched up red button on the chestbox.

WOW nicely done...........that is def red.

Jesse

wow i had no idea that vader light up. thats pretty cool, they should implement that into the sabers.

Nicely done Natrix! I'm going to do that myself. As he said, the LED's won't damage the paint, since they produce very minimal heat.

for all the PF's they do? Wow shows you how much I know about SS huh? LOL sorry for my ignorance. The pics ive seen of the PF obi and vader never had the saber lit up.

Yeah, they do. Here's my Vader with his saber lit up from the other thread:

p1180030small5xd.jpg

Natrix said:
One more, a little more up close and personal.

Thanks for the info Natrix! I'm not sure if it is something I'll ever do, but it is good to know that there's an option. :)

That improves the chest box a hundred fold Natrix. I can't wait to see pics with the coin slots painted as well.

If you want to improve it still further, I'd suggest painting over the red and green squares with an opaque paint so that the light CAN'T shine through at all. That would be much more accurate.

Chris.

Chris, did the red and green squares light up in ESB or ROTJ? Even if they didn't, they still look pretty cool lit up.

cking said:
If you want to improve it still further, I'd suggest painting over the red and green squares with an opaque paint so that the light CAN'T shine through at all. That would be much more accurate.

Chris.

Or, just don't turn it on at all. ;) :D

I'm hoping to receive my PF Vader in the next day or two (I'm in the UK). Has anyone else tried this fix, also have you got any additional pictures?

Thanks

Daz

Back