How do you judge the most popular movie of all time?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Cruel

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have gathered from the never-ending "most popular movie" argument that you really can not hope to judge, accurately, any movie's exact popularity. There are simply too many variables.

I have read the argument that you should go by ticket sales. And one of the main arguments for this has been that it works fairly accurately for the popularity of books and music albums.

It stands to reason that it would work for those avenues. But it would not for movies. Movies, for one, have a great many more "multiple" buyers, meaning that there are a lot more pople that will pay to see a movie more than once than there are people who will buy a book or CD more than once.

Further, I have read that different movies draw crowds more at different times of the day. So the average ticket price would be different from movie-to-movie depending on when was the most popular time for crowds to view the movie. Even second-run thater tickets would have to be considered.

There were a few other major variables that I read about, but I don't remember them.

The bottom line is...even WITH perfect counts on how many tickets a movie sold...that is really not much better a measuring stick than gross revenue even if it is not adjusted for inflation.

And to talk about ticket sales, I have seen an estimate that Star Wars dogged all other movies in number of tickets sold with approximately 173 million over Titanic's 131 million (estimated). But Star Wars had two releases and (I feel it is a safe assumption) many more multi-ticket buyers. And If you add in the second release...E.T. beats out Titanic with 135 Million. So these numbers can not accurately estimate the number of individuals who watched the movies. And this would be a necessity to determine that movie's popularity.

I think the best we can do is to keep our arguments for these movies in perspective.

One movie made the most money. But nothing can be inferred about it's popularity based on that other than "lots of people liked it".

Another may be estimated to have sold more tickets overall, but no inference about the popularity of the movie can be made by that, either.

That is how I am seeing the "big picture" at this point and I am curious about whether anyone feels they know of a more accurate way to make this judgement.

Yeah, but people usually go to see movies without knowing what to expect, most people that buy records, already heard most of the songs and like them...
The perfect example is Transformers 2, it was very popular, but most people agree it's a pice of ____...

You can't factor out multiple views by a single person if you're calculating "popularity". The value of the repeat experience is part of how popular a film will ultimately become.

The only real way of judging the "most popular" film of all time you first need to gather the ones that stood the test of time.

Star Wars is arguably the 'most popular' movie of all time imo. No other film in history has had the impact on pop culture, the film industry, marketing, licensing ect ect ect as SW.

But really, who cares :dunno

I would say go by ticket sales and not the money it took in.

Some movies are pretty popular without all the licensing crap around it.

And as King says, who cares because we all have our own favorites and that's all that matters.

I have gathered from the never-ending "most popular movie" argument that you really can not hope to judge, accurately, any movie's exact popularity. There are simply too many variables.

I have read the argument that you should go by ticket sales. And one of the main arguments for this has been that it works fairly accurately for the popularity of books and music albums.

It stands to reason that it would work for those avenues. But it would not for movies. Movies, for one, have a great many more "multiple" buyers, meaning that there are a lot more pople that will pay to see a movie more than once than there are people who will buy a book or CD more than once.

Further, I have read that different movies draw crowds more at different times of the day. So the average ticket price would be different from movie-to-movie depending on when was the most popular time for crowds to view the movie. Even second-run thater tickets would have to be considered.

There were a few other major variables that I read about, but I don't remember them.

The bottom line is...even WITH perfect counts on how many tickets a movie sold...that is really not much better a measuring stick than gross revenue even if it is not adjusted for inflation.

And to talk about ticket sales, I have seen an estimate that Star Wars dogged all other movies in number of tickets sold with approximately 173 million over Titanic's 131 million (estimated). But Star Wars had two releases and (I feel it is a safe assumption) many more multi-ticket buyers. And If you add in the second release...E.T. beats out Titanic with 135 Million. So these numbers can not accurately estimate the number of individuals who watched the movies. And this would be a necessity to determine that movie's popularity.

I think the best we can do is to keep our arguments for these movies in perspective.

One movie made the most money. But nothing can be inferred about it's popularity based on that other than "lots of people liked it".

Another may be estimated to have sold more tickets overall, but no inference about the popularity of the movie can be made by that, either.

That is how I am seeing the "big picture" at this point and I am curious about whether anyone feels they know of a more accurate way to make this judgement.

There's a difference between re-releasing a movie, and redoing it and releasing it, such as what happened to Star Wars. To me, the releases can't be put together.

You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out. :lol

Back