Best Hi-Def TV to get?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPrime

Super Freak
Reaction score
Need some opinions...

Thus far, I haven't been really "blown away" by hi-def and have been resisting the need to upgrade to blu-ray/hi-def, until just recently when the gf and I were visiting Manhattan over the holidays. I was watching a TV (I believe it was Sony but I'm not 100% sure about this) at one of the Best Buys there (it was near Times Square, on 5th Ave if I recall correctly). The movie clips they were showing looked damn amazing, almost like the people were actually there. Better than what I had seen previously while browsing for TVs.

Initially I thought maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but after looking at other hi-def TVs afterward I wasn't as impressed, so I thought maybe I was looking at a new/special model or something?

Anyway, I've decided that I finally need to upgrade. Any advice? And if anyone knows what TV I was looking at in the Best Buy please let me know. I don't actually live anywhere near NYC so I can't just go back to that store.

I don't see how anyone, as a novice, can make any kind of proper assessment without operating every screen in the particular store they are comparing these screens in. The staff are just going to take it out of the box, plug in it's bits and turn it on. You'd need to set up each TV to your own personal settings, then make a decision. You could easily set up the TV, you wanted people to buy, to present it at its best and make the other screens look lousy. Unless you're prepared to become more acquainted with each TV's operation, you're just taking pot luck, or the TV with the best default settings.

From a technical standpoint I heard many manufacturers use Samsung screens, and that they are good value for money, reliability etc. So get one with a Samsung screen, whether it be badged as Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, whomever. Or read the reviews and trust someone else's judgements.

The best I have seen was a Sony Bravia at Best Buy, it was so ridiculously nice I almost vomited on myself.

When I asked several people in several stores about what to get for my size room, LCD, LED or Plasma, they told me to go with Plasma. I told them I didn't care about cost, just what would give me the best overall picture quality. I was surprised they didn't say LED.

I agree with Creecher though. It's hard to pick out a TV when looking at it in a showroom. There's too many variables.

I think the gap between plasma and LCD is closing now. A couple years ago plasma was leaps ahead of LCD, now, not so much.

I have a 55' plasma Panasonic Viera and its amazing, but I have seen some of the new LCDs and they are just as good.

I have a 50" Samsung upstairs (Plasma) and now a 40" Sharp Aquos downstairs (LCD)

Samsung is hands down the best bang for your buck BUT I can honestly say that the LCD picture is a little bit better. Either make is fine and you really can't go wrong but if I had to pick between the 2 I have i'd say the Sharp is better.

I was under the impression that plasma was on the way out, and LCD was just a far more efficient technology. Of course, now LED technology is starting to become more prevalant.

Either way, I have a Samsung LCD and it's pretty good for me. When I buy a new TV it will either be a Sony or a Samsung.

I was under the impression that plasma was on the way out, and LCD was just a far more efficient technology. Of course, now LED technology is starting to become more prevalant.

Either way, I have a Samsung LCD and it's pretty good for me. When I buy a new TV it will either be a Sony or a Samsung.

I'm not sure if Plasma is on the way out but what I have heard is that LCD has taken the slight edge in recent times. The smart move on Samsung's part is that they have always made both.

Samsung has a great LED line... but Sharp is right behind them with reduced prices.

if i had to buy today (and after a lot of research i think i just may), i would pick up the Sharp 40 inch LED.

It comes down to personal preference. If u have a chance check out series 6 led lcd 55 inch samsung picture is great and tv is thin plus if u buy the samsung wall mount it looks awsome on a wall.

LED is definitely the way to go--has more evenly lit screens than regular LCD or plasma, higher contrast ratios and are ridiculously thin. Samsung is a very good brand.

LED is definitely the way to go--has more evenly lit screens than regular LCD or plasma, higher contrast ratios and are ridiculously thin. Samsung is a very good brand.

That's pretty much the way to go. Samsung (as a brand) gets my top vote. And LED over LCD or Plasma by far.

daughters tv gave up just last week so we moved our bedroom 40" lcd into her room and our plan is to move the 52" sharp into our room and replace it in the main tv room with something 60"+.
i see some 60"+ tv's are now getting down to less than $2000 and was seriously thinking of getting a plasma since it would be going down in my darkass basement.

though by the sounds of what has being posted i should look into the LED tvs now.:duh damn so many choices nowadays.:rolleyes:

I've had my Sony Bravia SXRD 70" for 2 years now and still love it's picture with bluray,dvd,laserdisc,xbox 360 before it red ringed all playing through it just look fantastic. Waiting for 3d tv's to arrive in 70" or bigger and reduce in price after the initial launch. So maybe 5 years+.

Back