Anyone Been To This?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarsen

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anybody here ever been to this exhibit? I think I seen it on the Discovery Channel once.

BODY WORLDS: An Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies

Probably a lot of debate about this. I might go since I've always been interested in Human Anatomy and how the human body works. Looks very educational.

"...200 individual specimens are used to compare healthy and diseased organs, i.e., a healthy lung with that of a smoker, to emphasize the importance of a healthy life-style. On the other hand, 25 life-like posed whole-body plastinates illustrate where in our bodies these organs are positioned and what we are: naturally fragile in a mechanized world."
Interesting.

I attended this event when it was in Los Angeles. I have to say that it is pretty amazing. I thought it was going to be disturbing but after a few moments it becomes incredibly facinating.

The only thing that took away from my enjoyment was the crowd. It was a mob scene and people were crushed shoulder to shoulder. I wish I could have spent more time there. The last weekend they even had the museum open for 48 ours straight. It was still packed w/ lines around the block at 3:30 in the morning.

I read about the exhibit when it was in London, I believe. Quite a lot more than just organs--lost of bodies skinned, preserved and on display. Pregant woman, athletes, chess players, etc. Not for the faint of heart, but if you're at all interested in the human anatomy then this is about as fascinating as it gets, I suppose.

Rugby1970 said:
The only thing that took away from my enjoyment was the crowd. It was a mob scene and people were crushed shoulder to shoulder. I wish I could have spent more time there. The last weekend they even had the museum open for 48 ours straight. It was still packed w/ lines around the block at 3:30 in the morning.

I heard this was coming to Minnesota today. They said tickets will sell out fast. Did you go on a weekend. I'm thinking about going on a weeknight, hopefully less people.

I saw it here in Chicago, and I think the mob of the crowd also detracted from the experience for me too. Not only were people jammed in to see the exhibit, but people were acting entirely inappropriately around the exhibits. People were actually touching some of the exhibits, a big musuem no-no! I was bummed because so many people were behaving so poorly. The idea of plastinated body parts isn't all that new, as they were commonplace in my anatomy class. I don't know if I like the idea of someone taking a classroom tool like that, dressing it up as if it were art, and having the crowds squirm like at a (ahem) Sideshow. It was really fascinating, but the creator is a little self important, and the crowds were really too much!

I saw the second exhibit that came through in L.A. It was fascinating. I went on a Saturday though so fighting the crowd to actually see parts of the exhibit was hard at times (and annoying). I would say well worth the money and your time to go see it though. And at the end you can fill out a card to find out information about donating your own body for possibly being used in an exhibit someday (once you're deceased of course hehe).

I saw it when it was in Cleveland. It was very interesting, but like others said the crowds take away from it a bit.
I looked at the displays more as modern art personally.

I saw it too, and yes- it's definitely worth going to.
7.gif

Saw this excibit in London a couple of years ago. And yes it is definately worth going to.

Just make sure to pre-order the tickets (if that is possible), to avoid the long lines.

ummm ive been to this one in florida.https://www.mosi.org/ this is the exhibit that had the controversy with how the bodies were being acquired in china. i think they said once it ends in april there isnt another museum in the country that will host it.

So I visited this exhibit this weekend. It's easily one of the most amazing things I have seen!
Well worth going!

mlarsen said:
So I visited this exhibit this weekend. It's easily one of the most amazing things I have seen!
Well worth going!

I bet. My teacher has the dvd and it shows truly amazing stuff. It's rare for them to come by San Diego which is why i haven't had the chance to check it out. I'm a nursing major which is why i would love to check it out.:chew

student_toe5 said:
I bet. My teacher has the dvd and it shows truly amazing stuff.
Yeah I purchased the DVD after the exhibit. I'll probably go back at least one more time before the exhibit leaves.

Back