PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Prequel Character?

OSCORP
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
In your opinion is?

agen_kolar
12-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Sidious. And why Gree is on the list? I don't think he's worth mentioning.

EVILFACE
12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Count Dooku.

lordquigon
12-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I LOVE all of those characters!

But, Qui-Gon Jinn is my #1 favorite character, from ALL the films!!!!!

The Tuggernaut
12-29-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.ratewall.com/cpics/e7135759-0827-4e53-9820-461f365ebe81_villains-DarthMaul.jpg

karamazov80
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
There might be some cool characters from the prequel films, but none of those listed (that I know of) are cool to me by any means. And honestly, I can't think of a single prequel character that was cool, but there might be one. Wasn't Jimmy Smits one of the characters? I guess he could have been cool. He was pretty cool in L.A. Law.

Buttmunch
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Maul. No question. They really should have just written out Dooku and have kept Maul through all three.

Rook
12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Bad idea. No way could Maul have pulled off all of the behind-the-scenes political machinations that Dooku did.

Maul was, however, the coolest of the bunch. In a badass sort of way.

EVILFACE
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
lol, Maul.

Jango >>>>>>>>>>>>> Maul

Wor-Gar
12-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Sebulba?

No Papanoida?

FAIL

:D

I don't think the PT had much "cool" factor. Maybe Morrison. He was pretty cool. Too bad he had a kid to watch over.

Personally, I like Grievous, but he's far from cool. He's actually a lot like Sebulba in the movie. Twirling moustache and all.

Kibishii
12-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Bad idea. No way could Maul have pulled off all of the behind-the-scenes political machinations that Dooku did.

I agree. I voted Dooku/Darth Tyranus just because I thought he was a more solid of a character. Maul was bad ass, and the coolest looking, but I felt like Dooku was more of a "Sith" and better antagonist.

I could have easily voted for Sideous, Mace Windu, Grievous, or Ventress as well.

Buttmunch
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM

Well, in my version of the prequels, here is what I would have done.

Sidious has 2 apprentices and neither knows about the other. Dooku is still with the Jedi and doing all of the beind the scenes stuff behind their backs. Maul was the mysterious assassian he was in Episode 1. General Grievous was the face of the Seperatist movement (instead of Dooku). Dooku would have been revealed as a traitor and killed and Maul would have been killed by Anakin to take his place (ala Luke Vs Vader in RotJ).

Just my two cents summed up quickly.

devilof76
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Plo Koon. Too bad he didn't do too much more than die. The Battle of Geonosis should have been atleast 10 minutes longer.

Asajj Ventress was the most badass character through the Clone Wars. But she didn't do anything in the prequels either. She should have taken Grievous' place.

Silent December
12-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Where's Jar-Jar? :monkey3

OSCORP
12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
There might be some cool characters from the prequel films, but none of those listed (that I know of) are cool to me by any means. And honestly, I can't think of a single prequel character that was cool, but there might be one. Wasn't Jimmy Smits one of the characters? I guess he could have been cool. He was pretty cool in L.A. Law.

You must TOTALLY hate the prequels man.

:rotfl

Maul is the ???? for me nuff said. I'm with those who think it should've been Maul through the 3 films. (Anakin taking him out woulda been much better to me, seeing Maul as a kid, and Maul killing the one who found him etc. woulda meant more in ep3 ) But i'm gonna try not and get into a woulda coulda shoulda here. :)

Kibishii
12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, in my version of the prequels, here is what I would have done.

Sidious has 2 apprentices and neither knows about the other. Dooku is still with the Jedi and doing all of the beind the scenes stuff behind their backs. Maul was the mysterious assassian he was in Episode 1. General Grievous was the face of the Seperatist movement (instead of Dooku). Dooku would have been revealed as a traitor and killed and Maul would have been killed by Anakin to take his place (ala Luke Vs Vader in RotJ).
Sounds interesting, but I think the problem is that Lucas didn't do squat for character development, plot, or dialogue and instead relied on special effects. Dooku should have been introduced in the first movie to show his division with the Jedi; he really had alot of potential. Grievous SHOULD have been a general at the Battle of Naboo and had a noticable role in AotC.

Just being a cool looking assassin who can kick butt with a lightsaber doesn't make Maul a Sith...I would have liked him to stay alive just to create more confusion the Jedi ranks.

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
i voted maul but why isn't qui-gon on the list? he's much more worthy than useless characters like sebulba, or those who are actually ot characters (sidious/palpatine).

Shai
12-30-2009, 12:16 AM
PADME'S NIPPLES.

devilof76
12-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Sidious has 2 apprentices and neither knows about the other.

Playing two apprentices against each other is a cool idea, but I think that was already covered with Anakin being groomed as Dooku's replacement.

Dooku is still with the Jedi and doing all of the beind the scenes stuff behind their backs.

If he was still with the jedi, he would have a hard time waging a full-scale war against the jedi.

Maul was the mysterious assassian he was in Episode 1. General Grievous was the face of the Seperatist movement (instead of Dooku).

I still think Ventress would have made a better assassin than both Maul and Grievous.

Dooku would have been revealed as a traitor and killed and Maul would have been killed by Anakin to take his place (ala Luke Vs Vader in RotJ).

I thought Kenobi killing Maul was the high point of TPM.

ambasah
12-30-2009, 01:20 AM
if they made grievous the truly powerful jedi killer he was in the original cartoon series, he would be tops in my book. Too bad we got stuck with the crappy coughing version...

I agree Maul should not have died in ep.1...developing his background story and having him fight ani in ep.2 or 3 would have done a lot to help those films...

firefly2121
12-30-2009, 03:35 AM
AS much as I like Maul...I vote for Grievous...he is alright in the movies, but in the cartoon that fool kicks ass..

Wanderer
12-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Maul...he should have been resurrected as the General Grievous character in ROTS as a test bed for the technology used for Vader...But no that would have been too cool:rolleyes:

Dash
12-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Where's Jar-Jar? :monkey3

Hopefully in hell where he belongs.

wookster
12-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Loved Maul in the 'Duel of the Fates' final battle, however, although flawed I think Obi Wan was deffinetly the coolest character, he whooped Maul's ass while still a Padawan, Jango ran away from him with his tail firmly between his legs and he destroyed Vader while at his youngest and most powerful... nuff said!

Outer_Rim
12-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Jango Fett. He has no Force powers to help him and he is still a badass.

Darth Cruel
12-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Jango Fett. He has no Force powers to help him and he is still a badass.

He has a bunch of gadgets that make him, effectively, super-human. Not that far removed from the Force powers.

I voted Darth Maul. I think it was his look that I liked mostly, but his persona was the most different one added to the PT. I really didn't find any of the other personas of any of the PT characters to be anything special. Jango Fett was just Boba Fett for the PT, the Jedi were pretty run-of-the-mill, the Clone Troopers were just Stormtroopers for the PT with a lame back story, and the few off-characters that stood out like Jar Jar Binks were lame outside of their intent...which was to give a little something to George Lucas' kids.

wookster
12-30-2009, 05:20 AM
He has a bunch of gadgets that make him, effectively, super-human. Not that far removed from the Force powers.

I voted Darth Maul. I think it was his look that I liked mostly, but his persona was the most different one added to the PT. I really didn't find any of the other personas of any of the PT characters to be anything special. Jango Fett was just Boba Fett for the PT, the Jedi were pretty run-of-the-mill, the Clone Troopers were just Stormtroopers for the PT with a lame back story, and the few off-characters that stood out like Jar Jar Binks were lame outside of their intent...which was to give a little something to George Lucas' kids.

Sadly Lucas wasted Maul completely, he should have been in all three, as apart from the shadowy threat of Sidious the movies biggest short commings were the lack of a consistent bad guy. He just let them all (Jango, Sidious, Grievous) enter stage left, ponce about a bit as a minor threat then get dispatched to exit stage right.
Though a threat, Sidious wasn't a dynamic enough vilain... and as there can be only one Sith apprentice a young Vader vs Maul face off would have been great in Ep III... hence IMHO Maul was wasted!

Sined
12-30-2009, 05:32 AM
http://esaplaticaseperdio.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/sebulba.jpg

Wanderer
12-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Sadly Lucas wasted Maul completely, he should have been in all three, as apart from the shadowy threat of Sidious the movies biggest short commings were the lack of a consistent bad guy. He just let them all (Jango, Sidious, Grievous) enter stage left, ponce about a bit as a minor threat then get dispatched to exit stage right.
Though a threat, Sidious wasn't a dynamic enough vilain... and as there can be only one Sith apprentice a young Vader vs Maul face off would have been great in Ep III... hence IMHO Maul was wasted!

Definitely agree with everything up to Vader vs Maul. The whole point of the three movies was to get to see Anakin's transition to the Dark Side. Part of that was his duel with Obi Wan. I still think Maul couldve been resurrected as Grievous in ROTS to fight Obi Wan one last time. It would have held more weight. Dooku should've been in TPM on the Jedi council and interact with Qui Gon, Yoda etc. This would serve the purpose of making his betrayal more relevant in AOTC. Sheesh, the more you analyse these films, the more you realise how far they missed the mark :rolleyes:

IrishJedi
12-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Obi-Wan and Palpatine.

Most of the others on this poll are barely even actual characters. They're more like hollow archetypal placeholders, including Maul. Some of them at least look really cool, though.

bloodgear
12-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Maul.
Though I'll probably be in the minority if I say the Kaminoans. I loved the design of them.

Though I would have loved to have seen Maul all the way through.

Nacho
12-30-2009, 07:24 AM
General Grievous. The four armed saber wielding maniac is just
BAD ASS!!!!
Sebulba in second place for me, very cool indeed, love his design.

fantasymaker
12-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Others not have a chance against Maul.

jkno
12-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Darth Maul, that was one of the very few thing good in TPM. Too bad Lucas killed him like a fool... :(

the dude person
12-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Maul was cool, but he seemed... I dunno, sorta shallow, like he was just "bad". He didn't seem to have much in the way of intelligence, he seemed naive. Sidious and Dooku seemed pretty wise (yet evil), but then again they're old people that don't get much cool lightsaber action. But Maul had the appeal of awesome tattoos, a double bladed lightsaber and awesome lightsaber battles with flips and jumps and stuff.

Grievous was a little less shallow seeming, but not much. He just seemed like he was trying to be evil. Personally I don't like dimwitted 4 armed robot-cyborgs as much as dimwitted aliens with tattoos and double bladed lightsabers.

Jango was pretty freakin' awesome. He had cool armor, he was a bounty hunter, he had a jetpack and an awesome ship. He tried to assassinate people (ie padme), but was smart enough (and overcame his emotions enough) to kill Zam Wessel because she almost sang like a bird to the Jedi. Not to mention he is the "father" of Boba Fett, another awesome Mando bounty hunter. I think it was ironic that he liked killing Jedi, and 1 Jedi killed him, but eventually his millions of clones ended up killing most Jedi. We get to see into his life a little more than Maul or Grievous, he seems like an intelligent person, and he isn't trying to be "bad" for the heck of it, he's actually driven by his want for money, and he lets himself be cloned so he can have something of a family. He is, IMO the coolest prequel character. Once again though, they kill him off within a single movie. But he has my vote.
http://data36.sevenload.com/slcom/hi/qs/ffeffe/sknjhmptphc.jpg~/jango-fett-2.jpg

jediknight120
12-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Maul > Dooku > Jango > all the other scrubs

IrishJedi
12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Maul is 99.9% look.

SixMillionDollarMan Guy
12-30-2009, 09:45 AM
General Grievous. The four armed saber wielding maniac is just
BAD ASS!!!!

Yup, when Grievous was wielding the four sabers in a circular motion at Obi-Wan in Ep. III, I just sat back in the theater and said, "Whoa, WTF!":cool:

devilof76
12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I just noticed that all of the options listed are bad guys.

My favorite real character in the prequels was Yoda.

LOTRFan
12-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Maul based on design/style alone, but that is fitting for the PT. :maul

jkno
12-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Maul is 99.9% look.

Yeah, but what look!! :naughty He is a Sith, Dooku is just a fallen Jedi. Grievous is a hilarious machine every time, I see him in ROTS and CW it's like watching Tom & Jerry. Jango... shouldn't have been there at all. The mystery behind Boba Fett, one of the coolest SW characters now lies behind the "daddy clone":duh

pixletwin
12-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Ki Adi Mundi has been mine. He just seemed like a cool balance between Sage and Warrior.

Fives
12-30-2009, 10:28 AM
i picked cody, darth maul 2nd and i would give dooku 3rd place. jango fett didnt have the same impact on me as boba, had he remained more of a mysterious character it would have been different but i guess AOTC needed to dig deeper into the jango character to work.

Jaycepticon
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Jango was pretty freakin' awesome. He had cool armor, he was a bounty hunter, he had a jetpack and an awesome ship. He tried to assassinate people (ie padme), but was smart enough (and overcame his emotions enough) to kill Zam Wessel because she almost sang like a bird to the Jedi. Not to mention he is the "father" of Boba Fett, another awesome Mando bounty hunter. I think it was ironic that he liked killing Jedi, and 1 Jedi killed him, but eventually his millions of clones ended up killing most Jedi. We get to see into his life a little more than Maul or Grievous, he seems like an intelligent person, and he isn't trying to be "bad" for the heck of it, he's actually driven by his want for money, and he lets himself be cloned so he can have something of a family. He is, IMO the coolest prequel character. Once again though, they kill him off within a single movie. But he has my vote.
http://data36.sevenload.com/slcom/hi/qs/ffeffe/sknjhmptphc.jpg~/jango-fett-2.jpg

this dude knows what he's talking about. I completely agree. The graphic novel, Open Seasons, also helped show what a cool background he had.

Darthrazz
12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I know he's technically NOT a prequel character, but I have to say Obi-Wan Kenobi.

crasis
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Obi-Wan and Sidious are the coolest characters in the prequels. They are the most fleshed out and interesting, I'd say.

raider
12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
maul gets my vote

the dude person
12-30-2009, 02:36 PM
I just noticed that all of the options listed are bad guys.

My favorite real character in the prequels was Yoda.

I can understand you thinking Commanders Cody and Gree are evil (they tried to kill Yoda/Kenobi when order 66 was issued)

...but Mace Windu? Come on.

this dude knows what he's talking about. I completely agree. The graphic novel, Open Seasons, also helped show what a cool background he had.

Cheers Verbal! :D

Brent72
12-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Maul. Not even close.

Darth Cruel
12-30-2009, 03:30 PM

:lecture

Definitely agree with everything up to Vader vs Maul. The whole point of the three movies was to get to see Anakin's transition to the Dark Side. Part of that was his duel with Obi Wan. I still think Maul couldve been resurrected as Grievous in ROTS to fight Obi Wan one last time. It would have held more weight. Dooku should've been in TPM on the Jedi council and interact with Qui Gon, Yoda etc. This would serve the purpose of making his betrayal more relevant in AOTC. Sheesh, the more you analyse these films, the more you realise how far they missed the mark :rolleyes:

I think that Vader could have been turned prior to a fight with Maul and then Palpatine, knowing Vader was badder-ass than maul, could have given Vader the dispatching of maul as his Trials into the Sith. It could have gone Something like this...Palpatine senses the anger and power in Anakin and coerces Anakin to the Dark Side and sends him after Maul. Maul finds out, gets bent, and goes after Palps but Vader catches up to him and slap-chops him.

Or

Maul is the primary Sith Lord. He sends Palpatine to infiltrate the Jedi. Palpatine senses the strength and power in Anakin and uses him to off Maul and supplant him and become the Emperor.

Maul is 99.9% look.

I disagree. Ray Park brought a dynamic to the character that was absent in pretty much every other character that was introduced in the PT. Maul had the good human fighting skills that looked good on camera as well as the added force powers that were sloppily added via special effects.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I disagree. Ray Park brought a dynamic to the character that was absent in pretty much every other character that was introduced in the PT. Maul had the good human fighting skills that looked good on camera as well as the added force powers that were sloppily added via special effects.

:lecture:lecture:lecture Maul was a dynamic character that was as much Ray Park as he was design. You couldn't have pulled that off with Frank Oz's hand up a puppet's ass. Now Jango on the other hand, was really just 99.9% look. Morrison didn't do much and didn't say much. :lol

Kuzeh
12-30-2009, 04:00 PM
No Qui Gon Jin?... :dunno...
I voted Maul....

EVILFACE
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Darth Maul and Boba Fett are popular because they look "cool".

Morrison made Jagno "cool". The exchange between Jango and Obiwan on Kamino is why.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Darth Maul and Boba Fett are popular because they look "cool".

Morrison made Jagno "cool". The exchange between Jango and Obiwan on Kamino is why.

Too bad he couldn't have done the same for Jango. :p:moon

EVILFACE
12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
About the only thing you can comment on :lol

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
About the only thing you can comment on :lol

I was actually disappointed he didn't do more than run from Obi and get beheaded by Mace. The EU has done wonders for Jango, but his appearance in the films was seriously lacking when you consider this great "Mandalor" (see the Traviss novels) was the inspiration for the Army ultimately created to rid the galaxy of Jedi.

SixMillionDollarMan Guy
12-30-2009, 04:33 PM

Or

Maul is the primary Sith Lord. He sends Palpatine to infiltrate the Jedi. Palpatine senses the strength and power in Anakin and uses him to off Maul and supplant him and become the Emperor.

Actually, that sounds pretty cool.:cool:

Kibishii
12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Darth Maul ...because they look "cool."

Exactly, Darth Maul is the coolest looking PT character hands down, but that doesn't make him the "coolest." In my opinion, Darth Maul did not have the traits that make a "Sith" or a solid villain. I am not surprised he has gotten as many votes as he has.

creature4000
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
we need another Maul PF... rather then EU crap.

Escargot
12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/5796/pdvd0503.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/pdvd0503.jpg/)

as the pic shows, even in a very furious lightsaber duel(maybe the best in all saga) and the man relaxes and meditates for a while and he still keeps his coolnes.. so in my book Master Qui Gon is cooler than cool... :rock

YoNoSe
12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Wat Tambor.

Darth_Fatso
12-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Jar Jar Binks is easily the most awesome Star Wars character ever!!!

DinoLast
12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Qui-Gon Jinn
He's a Maverick who bends the rules and does not deal in absolutes.
Plus he had a great death scene.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8eZUHgCLN9s&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8eZUHgCLN9s&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

OSCORP
12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I love Maul (and yes most of it is probably on looks) But after reading some of his EU (which i liked) it made him even cooler. (and Sidious)

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Sadly Lucas wasted Maul completely, he should have been in all three, as apart from the shadowy threat of Sidious the movies biggest short commings were the lack of a consistent bad guy. He just let them all (Jango, Sidious, Grievous) enter stage left, ponce about a bit as a minor threat then get dispatched to exit stage right.... and as there can be only one Sith apprentice a young Vader vs Maul face off would have been great in Ep III... hence IMHO Maul was wasted!

I think that Vader could have been turned prior to a fight with Maul and then Palpatine, knowing Vader was badder-ass than maul, could have given Vader the dispatching of maul as his Trials into the Sith.

absolutely.

those who say maul was all look are partly right. but that is the fault of the writer/creator. if he'd been given a more motivated role in the machinations of sidious, as suggested above, he would've been a much more compelling character. as it is, maul is already totally badass and conveyed more genuine MENACE than any of the other so-called villains. with him u really felt like he was lethal.

grievous? they tried to give him a motivation and a reason for being but he was just lame. jango? please. this is PRECISELY the sort of character who should NEVER be unmasked. the main reason boba fett is so appealing is because he is so mysterious. they should've kept that air of uncertainty about both him and his "father" jango. the minute they revealed him to be temeura morrison (whom i have nothing against btw), the character became mundane and unexciting. so what if he was mercenary enough to lend his dna to the clone army program? to me that was in fact pretty stupid. if you make a living as a stealthy, behind-the-scenes asassin, the last thing u should be doing is putting your face out there for the whole world to see. u could say that he could hide in plain sight, but then why stick to his mandalorian armour and single himself out? sorry, jango was a wasted opportunity as well.

ProgMatinee
12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Maul is 99.9% look.

do you include badass double lightsabre in "look". How about awesome choreographed moves?

the dude person
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM

I think that Vader could have been turned prior to a fight with Maul and then Palpatine, knowing Vader was badder-ass than maul, could have given Vader the dispatching of maul as his Trials into the Sith. It could have gone Something like this...Palpatine senses the anger and power in Anakin and coerces Anakin to the Dark Side and sends him after Maul. Maul finds out, gets bent, and goes after Palps but Vader catches up to him and slap-chops him.

Or

Maul doesn't have... I guess the sort of "presence" that Sidious or Dooku have. He is too obedient, like a dog, and he has no plan of action other than "kill the jedi" ("go on Maul, sick 'em! Go get the Jedi! Good boy!"). He sort of rushes into a fight with Kenobi and Qui Gon. He could never be the strategist needed to engineer the clone wars and bring about the empire. He's just an errand boy. Sidious could not be the errand boy, because he is too greedy for power. Either he's gonna be the top dog, or he's gonna die trying to become the top dog.

Maul is no strategist, and Sidious would not be a good errand boy. He can fight off anybody in a pinch, but he can't go around assassinating people on a daily basis. Just using force ligtning for too long disfigured his face.

A matured Vader could easily fit the role of Sith Lord, but Sidious just couldn't be the apprentice. If you're that old and you're still an apprentice, I think you may have missed something.

It just couldn't work.

RJMacReady16
12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Hands-down Darth Maul. He's the only collectible from this putrid films that I still bother owning. Great character design.

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Maul doesn't have... I guess the sort of "presence" that Sidious or Dooku have. He is too obedient, like a dog, and he has no plan of action other than "kill the jedi" ("go on Maul, sick 'em! Go get the Jedi! Good boy!"). He sort of rushes into a fight with Kenobi and Qui Gon. He could never be the strategist needed to engineer the clone wars and bring about the empire. He's just an errand boy. Sidious could not be the errand boy, because he is too greedy for power. Either he's gonna be the top dog, or he's gonna die trying to become the top dog.

Maul is no strategist, and Sidious would not be a good errand boy. He can fight off anybody in a pinch, but he can't go around assassinating people on a daily basis. Just using force ligtning for too long disfigured his face.

A matured Vader could easily fit the role of Sith Lord, but Sidious just couldn't be the apprentice. If you're that old and you're still an apprentice, I think you may have missed something.

It just couldn't work.

whatever u have said is mere speculation and doesn't mean the character of maul is as such. like i said in a previous post, maul's perceived lack of "brains" is due to the way his role was written. if in an alternate universe george had made maul a more central figure (eg: replacing dooku ) he would've been a very strong character. and i reiterate, as underwritten as maul was as a character, he STILL possessed more "presence" than grevious or jango fett. and that is largely thanks to ray park's superb physical acting. and i don't mean just his martial arts skills. u could feel his sheer disdain for the jedi in that arrogant sneer he had.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 09:01 PM

It just couldn't work.

WTF are you talking about?! :rotfl Maul has ALL the presence he needs. He was the FACE of Star Wars for a fat chunk of the 90's. I'm willing to bet he was the 2nd most marketed character of the PT based on his presence alone! I'd rather see an elaborately choreographed lightsaber scene than a yawnfest of dialogue and plot schemes cut between actors faces with lightsabers swinging in the foreground and background. The Dooku fights were lackluster and the Palpatine fights all but ridiculous. Maul personified everything that IS the Sith. Everybody and their grandmother were on the edge of their seats during the dual of the fates scene when the doors open and little Maul walks out. Ray Park, as Maul, with his little horns and tattoos had more presence than Dooku, Emo Hayden Vader or even the PT Sidious.

the dude person
12-30-2009, 09:05 PM
absolutely.

those who say maul was all look are partly right. but that is the fault of the writer/creator. if he'd been given a more motivated role in the machinations of sidious, as suggested above, he would've been a much more compelling character. as it is, maul is already totally badass and conveyed more genuine MENACE than any of the other so-called villains. with him u really felt like he was lethal.

That's like saying "Those who say Chewbacca wasn't badass are partly right, but that's the fault of the writer/creator. Chewbacca could have made a great Sith Lord, but he just wasn't evil enough. If he had been meaner and more self centered he would've replaced Palpatine perfectly."

Point is: The writer/creator (Lucas obviously) didn't give him a more motivated role in the machinations of Sidious, and he is not a more compelling character. Any theoretical what if's do not improve who he actually is to the story

grievous? they tried to give him a motivation and a reason for being but he was just lame. jango? please. this is PRECISELY the sort of character who should NEVER be unmasked. the main reason boba fett is so appealing is because he is so mysterious. they should've kept that air of uncertainty about both him and his "father" jango. the minute they revealed him to be temeura morrison (whom i have nothing against btw), the character became mundane and unexciting. so what if he was mercenary enough to lend his dna to the clone army program? to me that was in fact pretty stupid. if you make a living as a stealthy, behind-the-scenes asassin, the last thing u should be doing is putting your face out there for the whole world to see. u could say that he could hide in plain sight, but then why stick to his mandalorian armour and single himself out? sorry, jango was a wasted opportunity as well.

Who ever told the whole world that the face they were seeing in the clones belonged to Jango? Nobody. It's possible that only the Kaminoans, a few Jedi, Palpatine, and the Clones themselves knew. Jango could have been planning to retire from the business soon, using the money he just got to settle down and raise Boba as his son, so his face being "out there" wouldn't affect him.

And anyway, no one but the Jedi generals ever really saw what a clone's face looked like (other than the Kaminoans) under their helmets, which they wore for most of the time. I doubt a single criminal on Coruscant knew what a clone's face looked like.

If you're an assassin, people having seen your face won't affect anything either. When Jango's a mile away on top of a building with a sniper rifle, and you get sniped, even if there are witnesses sitting next to the guy, they won't know who the assassin is. There won't be any "Oh look, Bob there just got assassinated by Jango Fett! Good thing I've seen his face from the clones on holonet news. Now I can hire someone to kill him, cuz even if he's not wearing his armor, now we know what his face looks like, so if anyone passes him in the supermarket buying space-diapers for his clone son, we can stab him in the back..." :duh

The whole face thing is utterly irrelevant.

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
That's like saying "Those who say Chewbacca wasn't badass are partly right, but that's the fault of the writer/creator. Chewbacca could have made a great Sith Lord, but he just wasn't evil enough. If he had been meaner and more self centered he would've replaced Palpatine perfectly."

Point is: The writer/creator (Lucas obviously) didn't give him a more motivated role in the machinations of Sidious, and he is not a more compelling character. Any theoretical what if's do not improve who he actually is to the story.

read the post i made subsequently after that last one, dude. you're citing ridiculously extreme examples like chewbacca being a sith. c'mon. who's talking about that? not me for sure. my point simply is that maul may be underwritten but he AS HE WAS he still had more presence and thus potential to be a truly menacing and integral villain over others who WERE given the chance plot-wise but still fell way short.

Who ever told the whole world that the face they were seeing in the clones belonged to Jango? Nobody. It's possible that only the Kaminoans, a few Jedi, Palpatine, and the Clones themselves knew. Jango could have been planning to retire from the business soon, using the money he just got to settle down and raise Boba as his son, so his face being "out there" wouldn't affect him.

And anyway, no one but the Jedi generals ever really saw what a clone's face looked like (other than the Kaminoans) under their helmets, which they wore for most of the time. I doubt a single criminal on Coruscant knew what a clone's face looked like.

The whole face thing is utterly irrelevant.

that's a lot more than "nobody" dude. :D

your logic doesn't work simply because an insignificant little character called OBI-WAN KENOBI saw him face to face and knew of his plan. the same guy who knew what all the clones looked like. sure, he thought they were on the "good" guy's side but he knew jango wasn't and that's really the point.

the dude person
12-30-2009, 09:14 PM
WTF are you talking about?! :rotfl Maul has ALL the presence he needs. He was the FACE of Star Wars for a fat chunk of the 90's. I'm willing to bet he was the 2nd most marketed character of the PT based on his presence alone! I'd rather see an elaborately choreographed lightsaber scene than a yawnfest of dialogue and plot schemes cut between actors faces with lightsabers swinging in the foreground and background. The Dooku fights were lackluster and the Palpatine fights all but ridiculous. Maul personified everything that IS the Sith. Everybody and their grandmother were on the edge of their seats during the dual of the fates scene when the doors open and little Maul walks out. Ray Park, as Maul, with his little horns and tattoos had more presence than Dooku, Emo Hayden Vader or even the PT Sidious.

Ok, so presence is not the right word. Sure, he's menacing, but so is the 3 headed dog from the 1st Harry Potter. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who could give orders, but would either take them or go out blindly on his own.

Having Maul as Sith Lord and Palps as his apprentice is like having Anakin from AOTC train Obi Wan from ANH.

Maul just seems young and inexperienced. Intellectually weak.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Ok, so presence is not the right word. Sure, he's menacing, but so is the 3 headed dog from the 1st Harry Potter. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who could give orders, but would either take them or go out blindly on his own.

Having Maul as Sith Lord and Palps as his apprentice is like having Anakin from AOTC train Obi Wan from ANH.

Maul just seems young and inexperienced. Intellectually weak.

You need to cap your paints when you're not using them man, you're not making any sense. Maul was menacing. He would lead with fear, and those who were under him would obey not wanting to be in his presence because he's terrifically horrific. As for him being the master to Palpatine, I didn't say that so you invented that. And as to being young, inexperienced, and intellectually weak, no. He gave a seasoned veteran Jedi a run for his money and killed him. Obi Wan lost in the straight-up confrontation to Maul (or did you forget), winning through luck. If Qui Gon's saber hadn't been there... no more Obi. Maul was cold and calculated and very much the strategist to be able to confront two Jedi with higher saber skill sets at the same time.

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Maul was menacing. He would lead with fear, and those who were under him would obey not wanting to be in his presence because he's terrifically horrific. As for being young and inexperienced, and intellectually weak, no. He gave a seasoned veteran Jedi a run for his money and killed him. Obi Wan lost in the straight-up confrontation to Maul (or did you forget), winning through luck. Maul was cold and calculated and very much the strategist to be able to confront two Jedi at the same time.

spot on, man.

though i wouldn't go so far as to say obi-wan won through luck. that flipping-over-maul's-head-and-slicing-him-in-half move was pretty crafty. i attribute maul's ultimate loss at the hands of obi-wan to hubris and arrogance, the downfall of all sith.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 09:25 PM
spot on, man.

though i wouldn't go so far as to say obi-wan won through luck. that flipping-over-maul's-head-and-slicing-him-in-half move was pretty crafty.

I exlpained why by editing my previous post. If Qui Gon's saber hadn't been there, or if Maul had picked it up/destroyed it, Obi would've been toast.

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I exlpained why by editing my previous post. If Qui Gon's saber hadn't been there, or if Maul had picked it up/destroyed it, Obi would've been toast.

true.

but perhaps obi-wan could still have done the same flip and performed a force push (or kicked him in the nuts :lol). less dramatic, but same result. maul falls to his death.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
true.

but perhaps obi-wan could still have done the same flip and performed a force push (or kicked him in the nuts :lol). less dramatic, but same result. maul falls to his death.

That's reeeeeeeeeally pushing it. :lol Nevertheless, Maul deserves far more credit than Dude's giving him.

the dude person
12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
read the post i made subsequently after that last one, dude. you're citing ridiculously extreme examples like chewbacca being a sith. c'mon. who's talking about that? not me for sure. my point simply is that maul may be underwritten but he AS HE WAS he still had more presence and thus potential to be a truly menacing and integral villain over others who WERE given the chance plot-wise but still fell way short.

that's a lot more than "nobody" dude. :D

your logic doesn't work simply because an insignificant little character called OBI-WAN KENOBI saw him face to face and knew of his plan. the same guy who knew what all the clones looked like. sure, he thought they were on the "good" guy's side but he knew jango wasn't and that's really the point.

I said nobody told the world Jango was the clone template, not nobody knew Jango was the clone template.

And so what? If Obi Wan is looking for Jango, seeing his face won't help. If he's on Coruscant in a crowd of people, he won't stand out anymore than usual. I just don't see your point with the whole face thing. What ended up getting him killed was hanging around with the Seperatists until the Jedi showed up. That was his mistake. If he is with the Seps, eventually some enemies of the Seps will show up, no matter who he is. Any Jedi who was trying to kill Separatists could walk into a room with Nute Gunray, Wat Tambor, Jango Fett and a bunch of Battle Droids, and Jango would be fought with if he didn't come quietly, regardless of people knowing what his face looks like.

If you're trying to say Kenobi made the connection "ok so, Jango is with the Seps and is bad, so the clones came from Jango, so the clones are bad", that is also irrelevant. Jango was driven by his want for cash, not by wanting to be "bad" or "evil". He did anything he got paid for.

I just don't see what you're trying to say. :confused:

I mean yes, Jango's face was "out there", and yes, Kenobi had seen his face, but what does that have to do with anything???

Jaycepticon
12-30-2009, 09:32 PM
true.

but perhaps obi-wan could still have done the same flip and performed a force push. less dramatic, but same result. maul falls to his death.

or force push him and have Maul hanging on for dear life with Obi watching him and with him being a Jedi, trying to help out Maul but he cuts him with a hidden blade and falls to his death which makes him realize that you can't help the Sith which is why he's so quick to walk away from Anakin later on. or not:lol

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 09:42 PM
If you're trying to say Kenobi made the connection "ok so, Jango is with the Seps and is bad, so the clones came from Jango, so the clones are bad", that is also irrelevant.

I just don't see what you're trying to say. :confused:

that IS what i'm trying to say, young padawan.

but that's not my initial point. my initial point was that if this jango fella is so "smart" he'd have been a lot more careful showing off his face (esp to guys like obi-wan kenobi). if you're doing something ppl suspect as illegal activity, esp if said illegal activity points all fingers to YOU, u would take greater care to hide your idenity, not be so casual about it. in that, it was a stupid move. if u still don't get my point, please do not hesitate to ask yourself why you're so dense. just kidding. :D

the dude person
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
You need to cap your paints when you're not using them man, you're not making any sense. Maul was menacing. He would lead with fear, and those who were under him would obey not wanting to be in his presence because he's terrifically horrific. As for him being the master to Palpatine, I didn't say that so you invented that. And as to being young, inexperienced, and intellectually weak, no. He gave a seasoned veteran Jedi a run for his money and killed him. Obi Wan lost in the straight-up confrontation to Maul (or did you forget), winning through luck. If Qui Gon's saber hadn't been there... no more Obi. Maul was cold and calculated and very much the strategist to be able to confront two Jedi with higher saber skill sets at the same time.

Lightsaber fighting has absolutely nothing to do with intellect or leadership ability. Maul is one of my fav characters, but does not seem to be anything more than a Jedi-hating errand boy. A really physically fit, cool looking, badass alien with great lighstaber fighting skills, but he shows no signs of being intelligent enough to be a leader. He is entirely obedient to Palpatine, which leads me to believe he is more of a "follower" type from what I see in the movie. If there was some sort of power struggle between Palps and Maul anywhere, it would lend credibility to his intelligence. I.E. Palps: "You will attack the Jedi on Naboo tomorrow" Maul: "No master, that would be unwise! The Jedi would see it coming" etc. I don't care what his argument would be, but if he ever argued at all, it shows that he's thinking about it more deeply than just the sort of "Yes, my master" stuff we see from Anakin a lot. There's just nothing I can see in the entire movie that suggest Maul has a brain. Maybe there were some scenes in there that got cut, but ultimately the feeling I was left with was that Maul could never be one of the higher ups.

ProgMatinee
12-30-2009, 09:52 PM
news flash star wars was fiction.

the dude person
12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
that IS what i'm trying to say, young padawan.

but that's not my initial point. my initial point was that if this jango fella is so "smart" he'd have been a lot more careful showing off his face (esp to guys like obi-wan kenobi). if you're doing something ppl suspect as illegal activity, esp if said illegal activity points all fingers to YOU, u would take greater care to hide your idenity, not be so casual about it. in that, it was a stupid move. if u still don't get my point, please do not hesitate to ask yourself why you're so dense. just kidding. :D

I agree that it wasn't a good move in general, but nobody's perfect.

I mean if Maul was so smart, he would have force pushed Kenobi into the reactor pit as soon as possible, but he just stood there, and, if I remember correctly, struck the ground to no effect with his lightsaber, giving Kenobi enough time to jump up and slice him in half.

Boba's stupid move was carrying around a rocket strapped to his back. But who could have forseen that it would end up getting him stuck inside the Sarlaac?

It's just one of those things where you might not think of the repercussions right away. Doesn't mean Jango's an idiot like you are suggesting.

ProgMatinee
12-30-2009, 09:58 PM
news flash maul is a fictional character and can't be smart or dumb because he doesn't really have a brain. 1000 times out of 1000 his character will make the same choices because thats how it was written, filmed and edited onto the reel and dvd.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Lightsaber fighting has absolutely nothing to do with intellect or leadership ability. Maul is one of my fav characters, but does not seem to be anything more than a Jedi-hating errand boy. A really physically fit, cool looking, badass alien with great lighstaber fighting skills, but he shows no signs of being intelligent enough to be a leader. He is entirely obedient to Palpatine, which leads me to believe he is more of a "follower" type from what I see in the movie. If there was some sort of power struggle between Palps and Maul anywhere, it would lend credibility to his intelligence. I.E. Palps: "You will attack the Jedi on Naboo tomorrow" Maul: "No master, that would be unwise! The Jedi would see it coming" etc. I don't care what his argument would be, but if he ever argued at all, it shows that he's thinking about it more deeply than just the sort of "Yes, my master" stuff we see from Anakin a lot. There's just nothing I can see in the entire movie that suggest Maul has a brain. Maybe there were some scenes in there that got cut, but ultimately the feeling I was left with was that Maul could never be one of the higher ups.

Your post screams ignorance.

Have you ever fenced? Despite the grunting screamfest you see in the olympics, real fencing is more like Chess than checkers, or the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots you'd have everybody think swordfighting is. Now elevate it one step. Take it from someone with some experience in the matter. You'd hardly want to get into a Boken fight with a Kendo or Kenjutsu Sensei let alone two. It takes a high level of experience and quick thinking just to defend yourself let alone be on the offensive.

As for leadership, that doesn't mean s**t. Great leaders listen to commands from officers and generals all the time. As a matter of fact, most NCOs are more capable of leading men than the higher-up officers but they still listen to orders, which is exactly what Maul did. Did that mean he was a horrible leader? No, it just meant that he followed orders.

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I agree that it wasn't a good move in general, but nobody's perfect.

I mean if Maul was so smart, he would have force pushed Kenobi into the reactor pit as soon as possible, but he just stood there, and, if I remember correctly, struck the ground to no effect with his lightsaber, giving Kenobi enough time to jump up and slice him in half.

Boba's stupid move was carrying around a rocket strapped to his back. But who could have forseen that it would end up getting him stuck inside the Sarlaac?

It's just one of those things where you might not think of the repercussions right away. Doesn't mean Jango's an idiot like you are suggesting.

i never suggested jango fett's an idiot. i was referring specifically to his slip-up of blowing his cover. that was a pretty stupid move, but that doesn't necessarily make him an idiot.

as for maul taunting obi-wan when he should've finished him off immediately, personally i felt that was a pretty nice character moment, and true to the sith traits. arrogance. hubris. trying to torment his enemy who was already hanging on for dear life was a very sith thing to do. prolonging his victim's agony and savouring it. that is not stupidity at work, it is malicious overconfidence--- though they often are lumped into the same category. that's what led to the downfall of palpatine too. he was so damned cocksure he had won, he failed to consider that the very act he was doing (force-lightning luke's a$$ to a crisp) might cause his own apprentice vader to turn on him. i mean, he already knew vader had conflicted feelings for his son. but he disregarded it to his own doom. wouldn't say that's stupidity, just overconfidence.

and fett's rocket pack served him well on so many occasions. so why wouldn't he continue using it? it was sheer bad luck (han accidentally activating it) rather than stupidity that got him screwed.

Have you ever fenced? Despite the grunting screamfest you see in the olympics, real fencing is more like Chess than checkers, or the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots you'd have everybody think swordfighting is. Now elevate it one step. Take it from someone with some experience in the matter. You'd hardly want to get into a Boken fight with a Kendo or Kenjutsu Sensei let alone two. It takes a high level of experience and quick thinking just to defend yourself let alone be on the offensive.

i've been in real fights, so i can vouch for that. it's not just all-out brainless brawling. when your opponent's bigger and stronger than u, you've gotta be smarter than him. in fact, i'd say speed and smarts (esp keeping a cool head) wins fights more than anything.

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 10:31 PM
i never suggested jango fett's an idiot. i was referring specifically to his slip-up of blowing his cover. that was a pretty stupid move, but that doesn't necessarily make him an idiot.

as for maul taunting obi-wan when he should've finished him off immediately, personally i felt that was a pretty nice character moment, and true to the sith traits. arrogance. hubris. trying to torment his enemy who was already hanging on for dear life was a very sith thing to do. prolonging his victim's agony and savouring it. that is not stupidity at work, it is malicious overconfidence--- though they often are lumped into the same category. that's what led to the downfall of palpatine too. he was so damned cocksure he had won, he failed to consider that the very act he was doing (force-lightning luke's a$$ to a crisp) might cause his own apprentice vader to turn on him. i mean, he already knew vader had conflicted feelings for his son. but he disregarded it to his own doom. wouldn't say that's stupidity, just overconfidence.

As well as the hobbling and beheading of Dooku and the dismemberment of Anakin...TWICE! Hell, ironically, it also cost Luke his hand. :lol

IrishJedi
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
do you include badass double lightsabre in "look". How about awesome choreographed moves?

Yes, because that's all just physical stuff. It is cool... but that's all it is. There isn't anything to that character in TPM at all. He's just an evil looking dude who hates Jedi, knows jujitsu moves and has a double-bladed lightsaber. Obviously, that's enough for him to be many's favorite character.

Here's a little exercise: Pretend someone who knows nothing about TPM asked you to describe the character of Darth Maul. Now, try doing it without resorting to simple physical descriptions. See... there's nothing there.

news flash maul is a fictional character and can't be smart or dumb because he doesn't really have a brain. 1000 times out of 1000 his character will make the same choices because thats how it was written, filmed and edited onto the reel and dvd.
Exactly. It's pointless and futile to argue anything about a character that isn't right there on the screen in image or spoken word. Unless this is an EU argument, which is a whole different story...

thenammagazine
12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Exactly. It's pointless and futile to argue anything about a character that isn't right there on the screen in image or spoken word. Unless this is an EU argument, which is a whole different story...

It's a character argument. So everything's game. :D

IrishJedi
12-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, like I said, if this is a "Coolest Prequel Character" that includes all of that era (canon and non-canon EU included) then yeah... there is a ton of material to cull from. But if this poll deals with characters from the PT movies themselves only... well, Maul is as hollow as the Boba Fett PF. :lol

tylerdurden
12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, because that's all just physical stuff. It is cool... but that's all it is. There isn't anything to that character in TPM at all.

Here's a little exercise: Pretend someone who knows nothing about TPM asked you to describe the character of Darth Maul. Now, try doing it without resorting to simple physical descriptions. See... there's nothing there.

nope, disagree there. i CAN describe his character: loyal, ruthlessly focussed, permanently pi$$ed off, enjoys taunting his enemies, has a swagger of someone who knows he's damned good at what he does... all those were apparent (at least to me) on screen. and those are defining character attributes. so i won't say there's "nothing" to maul's character.

devilof76
12-31-2009, 02:23 AM
I can understand you thinking Commanders Cody and Gree are evil (they tried to kill Yoda/Kenobi when order 66 was issued)

...but Mace Windu? Come on.

Oops. Missed that one.

I'm with IJ on Maul. Just thought he was a mindless thug, right from the start. I can agree that he was convincing, but I don't think that makes him special.

Still very much happy with the fate he was dealt. :duff

EVILFACE
12-31-2009, 05:57 AM
His ending was awsome, gimped by a Padawan.

hairlesswookiee
12-31-2009, 08:11 AM
His ending was awsome, gimped by a Padawan.

That's lame. Bruce Lee was once a padawan as well...nobody ever questioned his ability for kicking butt. Obi Wan became a Jedi Master on the council who ultimately handed the Darth Vader his arse resulting him to have a snorkel plugged in to help with his asthma.

OSCORP
12-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Honestly thought Jango would have more votes than he does. I had a feeling Maul would win, but not OWN.

creature4000
12-31-2009, 08:15 AM
nope, disagree there. i CAN describe his character: loyal, ruthlessly focussed, permanently pi$$ed off, enjoys taunting his enemies, has a swagger of someone who knows he's damned good at what he does... all those were apparent (at least to me) on screen. and those are defining character attributes. so i won't say there's "nothing" to maul's character.

Maul showed more character then most of the jedi on the list!

OSCORP
12-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Maul showed more character then most of the jedi on the list!

LOL^

:wacky

hairlesswookiee
12-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Honestly thought Jango would have more votes than he does. I had a feeling Maul would win, but not OWN.

I have the impression that Maul would win this 9/10 times.

IrishJedi
12-31-2009, 09:27 AM

It's not surprising at all to me. The younger generation of SW fans are easily pleased and love all this stuff. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Maul own a popularity poll against OT Vader. :lol

Dr.FeelGood
12-31-2009, 09:30 AM
If we're talking Prequal Movies and EU, then i vote for K'Kruhk (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/K%27kruhk) and his cool straw hat of immortality!:D

If we're taking just movies...then i cant comment, they all seemed rather flat and under-written

ProgMatinee
12-31-2009, 09:30 AM
I think Maul is like the PT's Boba Fett. Theres nothing wrong with loving Boba Fett based on his design and premise with very little screen time and dialog and developement. Whats wrong with loving Maul?

Dr.FeelGood
12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
I think Maul is like the PT's Boba Fett. Theres nothing wrong with loving Boba Fett based on his design and premise with very little screen time and dialog and developement. Whats wrong with loving Maul?

Maul (like Fett) got a chance to be expanded on in the EU, which i was thankful for...as it allowed me to make more sense of what was, essentially a token bad guy in the film...

jinxx
12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
http://www.cinematicwallpaper.com/movie-pictures/wallpapers/Star-Wars-wallpaper/Star_Wars_episode3.jpg

IrishJedi
12-31-2009, 09:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with liking him... but your favorite character?? That's where you lose some of us.

ProgMatinee
12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
oh, yeah, i didn't vote on this one based on "favorite" character. i voted based on "cool".

In the PT my favorite is Obi-Wan just like almost everyone. How could it not be.

Nitro
12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Hmmm....it's a toss up between Grievous and Maul (Mace Windu gets an honorary nod from me as well)... Since Maul has a lot more votes, I voted Grievous. He's a badass character in a better prequel movie. Maul was the only thing that kept me intrigued with Episode 1. Jar Jar and little Ani can eat bantha poodoo. They should be the biggest vote getters in worst prequel character.

IrishJedi
12-31-2009, 10:34 AM
oh, yeah, i didn't vote on this one based on "favorite" character. i voted based on "cool".

Who, I know... but trust me, Maul is a favorite character of many.

I guess this whole exercise helps point out how flaccid the PT really is. :lol

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM
It's not surprising at all to me. The younger generation of SW fans are easily pleased and love all this stuff. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Maul own a popularity poll against OT Vader. :lol

Younger generation (I think Prog and I got ya beat there age-wise babo)? :lol How about "open minded" fans. The pole asked you to pick from the list above. Maul had a considerably more powerful screen presence than Jango who again, basically only ran from Obi Wan and got beheaded rather quickly by Mace. That said, when you compare the two in their perspective roles, both were tools, but I was more impressed with Maul.

IrishJedi
12-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Younger generation (I think Prog and I got ya beat there age-wise babo)? :lol
Really? I was certain I was one of the elders around here. I turn 38 in about 6 weeks. No grays yet, though... just failing knees. :lol

The pole asked you to pick from the list above.
And I did. I chose "Other". :p

Anzik
12-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Qui Gon. The only Jedi to really get the true nature of the Force.

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM

Before ruining it completely by bringing Anakin to the council to destroy it and not only empowering Jar Jar, but bringing him to Coruscant where he'd later vote Palpatine into power. I agree with the Youtube video. Qui Gon was the worst Jedi ever :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z29OVZLbZk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z29OVZLbZk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the dude person
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
:lol

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

"I don't sense anything."

EVILFACE
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Before ruining it completely by bringing Anakin to the council to destroy it and not only empowering Jar Jar, but bringing him to Coruscant where he'd later vote Palpatine into power. I agree with the Youtube video. Qui Gon was the worst Jedi ever :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z29OVZLbZk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Z29OVZLbZk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It was the will of the Force that made Qui Gon take Anakin. He couldnt bring balance if he was sitting in a junk yard.

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 11:18 AM
It was the will of the Force that made Qui Gon take Anakin. He couldnt bring balance if he was sitting in a junk yard.

Or, maybe, if Qui Gon had possessed a better understanding of it, he would've sensed the danger in what doing so would bring. Obi Wan sensed it the whole time. :lol

EVILFACE
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't think he expected to die. If he would have lived, Anakin may have turned out different.

Kibishii
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
If Qui-Gon was the coolest character, when he was underwater with the Gungans he would have slaughtered them. :peace

SOLIDSNAKE
12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/snake_029/DSC05440.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wd1HkD69K7Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wd1HkD69K7Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why kill him in first episode one and keep count dooku for 2 episodes.
Bad move from Lucas!

MAUL FTW !

Something Sexy
12-31-2009, 11:29 AM
I voted General G. Maul was a badass but I think the General was even more badass. Both should have been in this series much longer.

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
If Qui-Gon was the coolest character, when he was underwater with the Gungans he would have slaughtered them. :peace

:lecture:rotfl:lecture:rotfl:lecture

wookster
12-31-2009, 11:56 AM

Awww, c'mon Nam, it's hug a hippie day... and Jin was the ultimate Jedi Hippie, like The Dude (http://datingjesus.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/v104.jpg)crossed with Shaggy (http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/shaggy_wall2_1024x768.jpg) plus Force powers!

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Awww, c'mon Nam, it's hug a hippie day... and Jin was the ultimate Jedi Hippie, like The Dude (http://datingjesus.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/v104.jpg)crossed with Shaggy (http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/shaggy_wall2_1024x768.jpg) plus Force powers!

Pass. I'm allergic to patchouli oil. :p

wookster
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Pass. I'm allergic to patchouli oil. :p

Whoa man, free your mind, you're like so... uptight.
Kick back dude, we're like entering a whole new decade of enlightenment, or something... I love you man!

Edit

I mean... I love you Nam!:peace

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Whoa man, free your mind, you're like so... uptight.
Kick back dude, we're like entering a whole new decade of enlightenment, or something... I love you man!

Edit

I mean... I love you Nam!:peace

....lame. :lol

OSCORP
12-31-2009, 06:53 PM

The same fans that Have Maul as their favorite character of the Prequels (not just the coolest) are probably the same fans that think TDK is the second coming.

DM is the coolest for me, but not my favorite.

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 07:10 PM
They're also the same fans who praise Medicom's stylized look over Sideshow's realistic looking Maul.

OSCORP
12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
They're also the same fans who praise Medicom's stylized look over Sideshow's stoned looking Maul.

fixed

Funniest thing i've ever heard.

Medicom Maul > SS Maul

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 07:25 PM
fixed

Funniest thing i've ever heard.

Medicom Maul > SS Maul

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/super_retard.jpg
DING! FRIES READY!

tylerdurden
12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
I think Maul is like the PT's Boba Fett. Theres nothing wrong with loving Boba Fett based on his design and premise with very little screen time and dialog and developement.

correcto-mundo!

The younger generation of SW fans are easily pleased and love all this stuff. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Maul own a popularity poll against OT Vader. :lol

now that's just blasphemy! :emperor

maul's cool but he's not THAT cool. ot vader is hands down the best/coolest/awesomest star wars character. ever. no contest, no debate, no question.

devilof76
12-31-2009, 10:14 PM

If the rest of them had his understanding, I don't think Anakin would have become a mass murderer. Their own confusion is what made them vulnerable to Palpatine, and incapable of dealing with Skywalker.

OSCORP
12-31-2009, 10:27 PM
How come i start to like the prequels more after a few drinks?

thenammagazine
12-31-2009, 10:50 PM
How come i start to like the prequels more after a few drinks?

Your sphincter relaxes a bit? :dunno

the dude person
01-01-2010, 12:09 AM
correcto-mundo!

now that's just blasphemy! :emperor

maul's cool but he's not THAT cool. ot vader is hands down the best/coolest/awesomest star wars character. ever. no contest, no debate, no question.

See, the sad thing is, kids these days couldn't care less about the OT, they barely concern themselves with the PT, nowadays, it's all clone wars. These truly are the dark days of star wars. (Actually, I like to refer to them as the orange days, based on the skin color of the 2 stupidest most annoying SW characters to ever have been invented/approved by lucas, these mark the death of the "good" stuff for me)

happy new year! :fireworks

thenammagazine
01-01-2010, 12:11 AM
See, the sad thing is, kids these days couldn't care less about the OT, they barely concern themselves with the PT, nowadays, it's all clone wars. These truly are the dark days of star wars. (Actually, I like to refer to them as the orange days, based on the skin color of the 2 stupidest most annoying SW characters to ever have been invented/approved by lucas, these mark the death of the "good" stuff for me)

happy new year! :fireworks

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVZobzVJrSo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVZobzVJrSo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

the dude person
01-01-2010, 12:14 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVZobzVJrSo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVZobzVJrSo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Oh, OK....

:wave

Puay
01-01-2010, 12:15 AM
How can Gree be in the poll? Hah hah. Even Ki-Adi would be before him.:lol

Anyway I picked Maul too.

Red Chap
01-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Obi Wan is the Coolest Character.

Beastmaster
01-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Oppo Rancisis!:D

Blu Falcon
01-01-2010, 02:51 PM
This poll is worthless without a Jar Jar option.

KitFisto
01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Kit Fisto!

agen_kolar
01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Wat Tambor.

:lol He actually was one of the coolest designs in the PT. His voice was great, too. I just wish his ROTS dialogue wasn't deleted. Pablo Hidalgo originally reported in the ROTS spoilers that Wat Tambor was going to be back for ROTS and "badder than ever." I was very disappointed when he ended up being an extra. However there are a couple of photos of his death scene floating around online, which didn't make it to the movie. Surely he would've had some dialogue here:

http://www.anakinworld.com/images/encyclopedie/evenement-mission-sur-mustafar-2.jpg

http://www.theforceperu.net/files/2009/08/Anakinwat3tf.jpg

MANDO
01-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I will never get the substantial appeal of Darth Maul. Must be all hype. I mean, he's barely in the movie and the guy got cut in half by a Padawan. Prior to TPM and sometime after I was a little taken with him but that slowly dwindled. Lucas had a tremendously feirce and frightening looking villain on his hands and the double bladed saber was just icing on the cake. But he was just thrown to the wind and written off like he wasn't even there.

I voted for Jango although he falls along similar lines of Maul and Grievous. Invented and intended for one film only. :rolleyes: But I like the gunslinger feel to Jango along with the underused poncho that gave him a real "Fistful of Dollars" feel. Sadly just another antagonist who suffered a somewhat humiliating death so the so-so overall story could take presedence.

mwf6171
01-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow, Darth Maul is running away with this one!

Darth Cruel
01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Wow, Darth Maul is running away with this one!

I am actually a little surprised about this...but happy just the same.

I love my Sideshow Darth Maul figure. Now I feel a need to go get him out of storage and play with him some.

Starkiller
01-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Maul was cool, but really overhyped. I thought by the posters, teasers, trailers, and merchandise that he would have played a much bigger role in the movie. He had like 5 minutes of screen time and like 4 lines. I thought he was underdeveloped and misused. He could have been so much more.

Anzik
01-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Qui Gon was the only one who understood the will of the Force.
Found the chosen one, identified the return of the Sith and figured out immortality.
The subsequent events all happened because the ones in power ignored Qui Gon and did it their own way.
Giving the chosen one to a 22 yr old brand new Jedi knight to train and missing the fact that the Dark Lord of the Sith was conversing with them routinely.

DarthKy
01-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Maul was easily one of the coolest under developed under used characters created for the new triology. shame on lucas SHAME!!!!

Darth Cruel
01-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Maul was cool, but really overhyped. I thought by the posters, teasers, trailers, and merchandise that he would have played a much bigger role in the movie. He had like 5 minutes of screen time and like 4 lines. I thought he was underdeveloped and misused. He could have been so much more.

I think that underused is more accurate than over-hyped. He was a sbadass as the hype claimed. Just not used anywhere near enough for me.

ambasah
01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
seeing the double saber light up for the first time gave me the same feeling as seeing the falcon jump into lightspeed for the first time.

D. Martin
01-02-2010, 11:15 AM
In your opinion is?

Uh, what about Anakin Skywalker? How can the main character not be included in this poll?

YoNoSe
01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
:lol He actually was one of the coolest designs in the PT. His voice was great, too. I just wish his ROTS dialogue wasn't deleted. Pablo Hidalgo originally reported in the ROTS spoilers that Wat Tambor was going to be back for ROTS and "badder than ever." I was very disappointed when he ended up being an extra. However there are a couple of photos of his death scene floating around online, which didn't make it to the movie. Surely he would've had some dialogue here:

http://www.anakinworld.com/images/encyclopedie/evenement-mission-sur-mustafar-2.jpg

http://www.theforceperu.net/files/2009/08/Anakinwat3tf.jpg
:rock :rock :rock

I've never seen those stills before!

Ever since reading the ROTS novelization I've wondered just how much was added for the book vs. deleted from the film. It was rumored (confirmed?) that Tom Stoppard did a pass on the script. I remember specifically that the two scenes that impressed me most in the novel (moreso than in the film) were Palpatine revealing himself as a Sith to Anakin and Anakin's slaughter of the Seperatists. I'll have to take a look in the book to see if there is any bonus Tambory goodness.

agen_kolar
01-03-2010, 12:00 AM
:rock :rock :rock

I've never seen those stills before!

Ever since reading the ROTS novelization I've wondered just how much was added for the book vs. deleted from the film. It was rumored (confirmed?) that Tom Stoppard did a pass on the script. I remember specifically that the two scenes that impressed me most in the novel (moreso than in the film) were Palpatine revealing himself as a Sith to Anakin and Anakin's slaughter of the Seperatists. I'll have to take a look in the book to see if there is any bonus Tambory goodness.

This is something I just noticed but if you'll look at his armor, you'll see that he's considerably more grimy than in AOTC. I guess he hasn't had the time to clean his suit (or have someone else clean it) since he's constantly on the run from being captured by the Republic. Also note Nute Gunray fleeing the room in the second picture. He's in the doorway.

Wat Tambor's death in the book is clearly different from what would've been in the film. I would definitely like to see the full cut of the Separatist slaughter. The murders of Tambor, San Hill, and Shu Mai were deleted altogether.