Oscar Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
How many of you really thought that Chronicles of Narnia had better special effects than Star Wars?

Narnia, Kong, and War of the Worlds were all nominated in this category, and Star Wars was left out. It did receive one nomination, in makeup. That's it. I was hoping to see a few more technical nominations for the last Star Wars film ever.

And for the first time that I can remember in all my adult (or teen) life, I have not seen a single film nominated for best picture.

OSCAR NOMINATIONS

The ratings for this year's Oscars are going to be the lowest ever, I have a feeling.

I haven't seen more than half of the best picture nominees and that's unheard of for me. Although I have seen 2 of the documentary features, which is also unheard of for me.

It was good to see A History of Violence getting some love though.

Can't understand why RotS was left out of best SPX or Batman Begins for that matter. I could see RotS getting nominated for best Animated film though.

Yeah, some suprises for me also. ROTS being one of them. Crowe not getting a nod for BA. I wish Kong had done better out of the gate that might have helped PJ with BP or BD nods. Oh well I'll be doing what I've done pretty much every year with the exceptions of the 3 LOTR got to participate in and that's just dropping in once in a while.

I think your right Dave. This years numbers are going to tank IMO.

jlcmsu said:
I think your right Dave. This years numbers are going to tank IMO.

I'll watch mostly for Jon Stewart, rather than in support of any one film--since I haven't seen any of them.

I guess that's what happens when you start having kids--you don't get out to the movies as much as you used to. It's a lot easier to sit by the computer and burp a baby than to try to take them to the theater (and bother everybody around you in the process).

Too true tomabdshell.............I cannot remember the last time we actually went to the theatre.

Well, I see everything - go to the theatre at least twice a week -- and I haven't seen all of these.

But I do luv me some Jon Stewart - hopefully he'll make it worth watching.

I honestly, for the life of me, cannot understand how anyone could have a favorable opinion of A History of Violence. My friend and I saw this film openning weekend and were amazed at how awful it was. The pacing, the acting, the story; all of it was just awful. I've seen some people post that they liked the movie, which just amazes me. I know there are different tastes, but I can't understand anyone's reasoning for giving this movie a thumbs up. :google

I can't believe Kong isn't nominated for more. It could have easily be nominated for best director and picture. I'm guessing Jackson's resent Oscars were hurting his chances this year. Kong should definately win for the best visual effects.

Very strange Star Wars didn't even get nominated for visual effects. I thought it would win unitl Kong came out.

I, for one, am an unashamed movie and Oscars junkie. Love it -- all of it. For the past few years, I've made it an annual rite to try to anticipate what movies might get the noms and attempt to see as many as I can before the announcement. This year, I've seen all the BP noms except Crash (THAT was a curveball from nowhere). The gaudy, often tacky, self-lovefest is one of the best shows of the year. If it happens to have a good host, it's even better. I am eagerly anticipating what Jon Stewart will have to say. I'm relatively satisfied with most of the noms for the "big ticket" categories. Obviously, I have some favorites that didn't make the cut and, like many of you, hold forth in righteous indignation about the shame of it all and argue with my fellow junkies. :lsvader Some folks have comics or TV or stamp collecting or other passions, this is mine. It won't save the world, but it makes it much more pleasant to live in sometimes.

As for History of Violence (or any other movie you might not have liked)? I know many who've hated it (to include my hubby and others whose opinions I value). That's okay. But it doesn't do anyone any good to disparage those of us who didn't? I, myself, have no clue on the appeal of many movies. Wouldn't mind getting into a chat to have a measured, well-reasoned, intelligent conversation about the merits (and lack thereof) of any movie. Am always willing to listen to another point of view and have been known to have my mind changed on occasion. :dance :peace :peace

A History of Violence would definitely be in my top 10 for the year - I thought it was a complex, thoughtful yet brutal character study with some dynamite performances. Personally I thought Hurt was a bit over the top and I'm a bit surprised Bello wasn't nominated, but I think the screenplay nom is well earned.

I am excited that Grant Heslov has been nominated for two Oscars: Best Picture (Producer) and Original Screenplay. That brings the total number of Academy Award nominated actors in the movie "Congo" up to two!

Setting aside for a moment his film appearances (such as The Scorpion King, Enemy of the State, Dante's Peak, Black Sheep, True Lies), consider this: How many other Best Picture producing nominees have also appeared as an actor in this many TV shows:

-The X-Files
-CSI
-The Outer Limits
-Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
-Touched by an Angel
-Seinfeld
-Harry and the Hendersons
-Baywatch
-21 Jump Street
-Murder, She Wrote
-Thirtysomething
-Matlock
-The Twilight Zone
-L.A. Law
-Momma's Family
-The Facts of Life
-Happy Days
-Family Ties
-Joanie Loves Chachi

Sounds like a Hollywood vet and a real pro, to me. Good luck to him!!!

A History of Violence would definitely be in my top 10 for the year - I thought it was a complex, thoughtful yet brutal character study with some dynamite performances. Personally I thought Hurt was a bit over the top and I'm a bit surprised Bello wasn't nominated, but I think the screenplay nom is well earned.

:clap My strongest complaint on the noms. Truly deserved more respect IMO, especially for Bello. Hurt's nom was a total surprise (vs. Harris'? :mad: ) Seems the plethora of Hollywood mavericks associated with this movie (to include the director) might have worked against it.

I'm surpised ROTS got nominated for anything. Man, those guys know how to hold a grudge. Still, Oscar noms or not, ROTS proved itself in the box office by being the highest grossing movie of '05. I could care less if the Oscars recognize the films merits or not. It beat out every movie nominated easily which makes it movie of the year.

Interesting to note that Star Wars was nominated for 10 Oscars. I remember it vividly too because it was the first year I watched the Oscars and I was heartbroken that Annie Hall beat it out for best picture.

Back