selling on craigslist, being paid via paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am selling something pretty pricey on craigslist and someone said they are interested but want to pay via paypal. My only issue with paypal is, what if I send it, and that person says the item they receive was not what I listed? They can get their money back from paypal and I could be out my expensive item, correct? How do I protect myself from this happening?

My experience with Craigslist is limited, but with the few sales I've done, I require cash only. If they want to pay with PayPal, then I need to ship it to them so there is proof that they received something.

Yep,
if you ship something get a delivery confirmation and insurance, specially since it's pricey.
The buyer should pay for those services IMO.

But if you feel uneasy about this sale, I say don't do it...
Usually when I sell stuff on Craigslist, I meet with the buyer...

But if you feel uneasy about this sale, I say don't do it...
Usually when I sell stuff on Craigslist, I meet with the buyer...[/QUOTE]

pretty much what CL is meant for.

The best way to protect yourself, if you're using PayPal...

Do SIGNATURE Delivery Confirmation and Insurance.
That way, the buyer cannot claim the item was never received.

Also, if the buyer files a claim through PayPal, PayPal requires that the item MUST be returned before he can collect any money back.

But the buyer could also return a false item...

I think I'll play it safe and just do in person.

If you make the buyer send the money as a "GIFT," I don't think they can ask for it back. So require that as a minimum and I think you should be okay. Also, I would meet in a public place, say at a mcdonalds or something like that, don't invite this person into your house unless you'll have other people with you as well. Lots of crazies out there, and you should be careful. Plus I wouldn't want anybody casing out my place for fear of coming back later to rob me when I'm away.

Scott- I think they've asked her to send it...

And, I wouldn't do it, BG. Face to face is the only way and I, too, only meet at a Starbucks or something. Never go into someone's home...

But the buyer could also return a false item...

I think I'll play it safe and just do in person.

If you can do it in person I would go that route.. and ONLY accept cash for payment.. even if you have to drive a bit to get-er-done, the cost of gas and time will be nothing in regards to what might be one heck of an ordeal...and meet at a public place and bring someone with you... we don't want a thread about you getting jacked...

Public place with lots of people. Bring a friend if possible.

Yeah I only meet in a public place. I just sold an xbox on craigslist and met the person at the UT campus. I will never have people come to my place.

Thanks for the advice all.

Last edited:
I am suprised he hasn't been hit up with the check scam yet. Just recently on another forum, a guy was selling his leather couch (pricey/big ticket item) and some guy responded pretty quickly. So originally this "guy" was supposed to come meet him at his house to see the couch in person, but instead a check is sent from another state, ect,ect,ect...and you can pretty much tell from that tidbit, some type of scam is to be had. But when he received the check for the couch he put it in the shredder and told the guy the deal is off.

Public place with lots of people. Bring a friend if possible.

Thats how I do it, when buying something small. I have gone to their work to pick up the item before.

Anyone who wants to sell things on Craigslist can keep an eye out.

I have listed a few things here and there on Craigs, and I seem to get a lot of responses from people who want to buy this item for 'their son' but they can't meet me in person because they are out of town, etc. So they offer me WAYYY over the price I'm asking. When I say way over, I mean a hundred dollars + over. And ask if they can have my paypal address so they can pay me that way, cause as they always seem to put..."it's safe" and they ask for me to ship the item to their son. It's not just about paypal, but also that the emails always say it's for someones son, and for me to ship the item.

I am not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but I just find this pretty crazy and wanted to know if anyone else is seeing this?

I do a lot of business on Craigslist and so on and I'll never take Paypal. First off, don't want to deal with fees and line Paypal's pockets any more than I have to, second, there's a very good chance you'll end up out of money at some point.

There are a lot of good deals on craiglist. I was weary just because I had to meet a stranger but I snagged some stellar deals.:cool:

Back