2009 Soundtracks: Year in Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broccoli Shrapnel

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Post what you think were the best soundtracks and scores of the year: TV, Film, etc. The film/show must have been released in 2009, no carry-overs from 2008.

My picks:

The Watchmen
500 Days of Summer
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Both Watchmen and 500 Days had great and interesting collections of songs, some of which I'd never heard before. HP had a lot of repeats, but the movie's darker tone made for great new works as well.

This year has been weaker in soundtracks/scores than many others. I hope Oscar season brings some good ones to light. I'm also hoping Avatar has a decent score.

Star Trek
Half Blood Prince
Transformers 2(better than the movie :D)
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic pieces brought to the table this year.

Solid picks. I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox yet. I'll have to give the soundtrack a listen.

One I forgot to list when I posted above: Where the Wild Things Are--I never saw the movie, but a friend gave me a copy of the CD. The whole thing is by Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I'd say at least half the songs are worth a listen.

500 Days had the best soundtrack this year IMO. The only song I didn't like was She & Him's cover of Please Please Please...you really can't cover the Smiths. The best songs are Vagabond by Wolfmother and Hero by Regina Spektor. Throw in a Hall and Oates classic and you have my favorite soundtrack of the year :D

Half-Blood Prince all the way! Tracks in particular that I like:

Opening - Especially the part with the chorus that blends the Harry Potter theme with Dumbledore's Farewell.
Snape and the Unbreakable Vow - Absolutely love the first 40 seconds that introduces us to Bellatrix and Narcissa sneaking through the buildings in the rain. The rest is good, too.
Journey to the Cave - Just great all around.
The Drink of Despair - Such a sad melody. Love the choppy voices shouting at the beginning. Chilling.
Inferi in the Firestorm - Creepy overall, with a loud, triumphant-sounding ending.
Dumbledore's Farewell - Although it's not particularly similar, it reminds me of the Order 66 theme from Star Wars. probably my favorite track of the score.

Back