Does Hi Definition ruin some movies for you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
I've been watching some movies lately and realized how a 1080p TV and Blu Ray showcases EVERYTHING in a movie. I watched Star Trek the other night and wet myself at how awesome it looked. Then I popped in Braveheart for the first time.

It looked amazing...saw the rain in the opening sequence, the individual pores on Mel's painted up face, and to my disappointment all the little things that you missed on the DVDs and such. Like during the battle you see a guy stabbing the ground next to a guy with his sword, blood spatters BEFORE a guy got hit in the head with a hammer, and many things that you couldn't really see before.
Damn you Blu Ray!!! You make the movies look too realistic. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I've been watching some movies lately and realized how a 1080p TV and Blu Ray showcases EVERYTHING in a movie. I watched Star Trek the other night and wet myself at how awesome it looked. Then I popped in Braveheart for the first time.

It looked amazing...saw the rain in the opening sequence, the individual pores on Mel's painted up face, and to my disappointment all the little things that you missed on the DVDs and such. Like during the battle you see a guy stabbing the ground next to a guy with his sword, blood spatters BEFORE a guy got hit in the head with a hammer, and many things that you couldn't really see before.
Damn you Blu Ray!!! You make the movies look too realistic. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

:rotfl:lol

Its a good thing really. It will challenge movie makers to get everything correct in the future. :gun:monkey1

I don't know if all actors should be too thrilled with it, when I was watching T:S the other night the chin hairs on Helena Bonham Carter were very distracting!

:rotfl :lol :rotfl

The only thing that sometimes takes me out of a movie is seeing just how many imperfections actors/actresses have, or how much makeup they are wearing, or random nose hairs, things like that.

But nothing that would ever ruin a movie.

Can someone post vidcaps. Don't have bluray yet because I don't rent enough or play videogames. Too busy with school.

While Eli could hardly be any "looser," he might also be called a "loser."

King. :wave :lol

Tends to ruin the effect for computer generated characters (in live action movies). They look more fake. I remember watching Attack of the Clones in HD (on HBO), and Yoda looked like a cartoon.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
It ruins non-HD movies for me. I recently watched Wrath of Khan on DVD and it was so grainy and faded and the effects looked so bad that it was barely watchable for me.

Been over 2 years of watching movies on blu ray viewed on a 70" 1080p screen. You see everything which is great ,flaws and all. I can understand being disappointed about being ripped out of your delusion while watching a movie is quite distracting but there is a certin pleasure derived from seeing said "beautiful people" looking closer to there reality selves. Hairs and all.

I'm kinda scared to watch stuff in HD now. :lol

I saw a commercial for that show 30 Rock the other day where they were watching an actress and asked her to stand in front of the Hi Def camera and she went from looking pretty to looking not so pretty. :lol

The only thing that sometimes takes me out of a movie is seeing just how many imperfections actors/actresses have, or how much makeup they are wearing, or random nose hairs, things like that.

But nothing that would ever ruin a movie.

Like Depp's nose during the close up of it in World's End! OMG!!!

I've never understood why actors don't get their warts and big moles removed off their faces. Christian Bale has one beside his nose, Ewan McGregor has one right in the middle of his forehead. That's the two I can think of right off the top of my head. With all the money actors make, you'd think they would want to look perfect when their big ass wart is two foot wide on IMAX! :lol

I would think it will become more of a common practice now with Blu-Rays and HD technologies beeing so widely available. And yeah, not to mention IMAXs getting more common as well.

Like Depp's nose during the close up of it in World's End! OMG!!!

I've never understood why actors don't get their warts and big moles removed off their faces. Christian Bale has one beside his nose, Ewan McGregor has one right in the middle of his forehead. That's the two I can think of right off the top of my head. With all the money actors make, you'd think they would want to look perfect when their big ass wart is two foot wide on IMAX! :lol

Yeah, but if they did then everyone would notice and call them out on it.

If HD is ruining movies for you then you should never go to the theater--there the resolution is 4x 1080p

I don't care that I have HDTV or Blueray. I don't care that my dad owns two HDTVs and I have a tube. I am not a couch potato.

Back